Poll: Workplace Violence or Terrorist attack?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fort Hood Shooting: Workplace violence or Terrorist attack?

This trial is scheduled to wrap up in the near future. How could this possibly be considered workplace violence rather than a terrorist attack? These soldiers that were injured should be afforded the same level of care as those wounded on the battlefield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Hood_shooting
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ce-by-u-s.html

According to eyewitnesses, Hasan had taken a seat at an empty table and bowed his head for several seconds when he suddenly stood up, shouted "Allahu Akbar!" and opened fire.
    According to testimony from witnesses, Hasan passed up several opportunities to shoot civilians, and instead targeted soldiers in uniform. These soldiers were not allowed to carry personal firearms on the base due to military policy. At one point, Hasan reportedly approached a group of five civilians hiding under a desk. He looked at them, swept the dot of his pistol's laser sight over one of the men's faces, and turned away without firing.
    But the Purple Heart has been denied the soldiers who were killed or wounded at Fort Hood. And, because they were classified as victims of simple calamity rather than of combat, they and their families have been denied the accompanying benefits. A number of them say they have not even been able to secure adequate care for their wounds.
    During the first day of the trial on August 6, Hasan—who was representing himself— admitted that he was the gunman during the Fort Hood shootings in 2009 and stated that the evidence would show that he was the shooter. He also told the panel hearing that he had "switched sides" and regarded himself as a Mujahideen waging "jihad" against the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    How could this possibly be considered workplace violence rather than a terrorist attack?
    Because it was violence. That occurred... in a workplace.

Deleted
    Hang on, serving soldiers were wounded on their own base, and they are not being given adequate care for their wounds? How can people stand for that?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Hang on, serving soldiers were wounded on their own base, and they are not being given adequate care for their wounds?
    Note that the phrasing is "a number of them say ____", not that it's factual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would classify it as workplace violence and not a terrorist attack. I do however think they should get adequate care, which is something everyone should get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I would classify it as workplace violence and not a terrorist attack. I do however think they should get adequate care, which is something everyone should get.
    I'd argue if the guy says he "switched sides" and now considers himself a Mujahideen waging jihad, at that point it becomes a terrorist attack.
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

I'd argue if the guy says he "switched sides" and now considers himself a Mujahideen waging jihad, at that point it becomes a terrorist attack.
    I'd regard that as an illegal act of war, not as terrorism. While some definitions of terrorism includes attacks on militaries, this seems to me to dilute the word into meaninglessness.

Everything is a terrorist attack these day

Deleted
    If it was a terrorist attack it was the worst thought out one in a very long time, it caused people to distrust muslims in the military even more, if a Major can turn on you, why not that new guy that has been here for 6 weeks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every attack in a war is a terrorist attack. For me terrorism are attacks directed specifically at civilians to create panic and fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd regard that as an illegal act of war, not as terrorism. While some definitions of terrorism includes attacks on militaries, this seems to me to dilute the word into meaninglessness.
    Oooh, that means treason, yes? Levying War against the United States?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Everything is a terrorist attack these day
    True, there is probably some new workplace law the government wants rushing through.

A question; so if an American soldier goes crazy and kills a load of Afghan civilians is that a terrorist attack too?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Oooh, that means treason, yes? Levying War against the United States?
    I guess I hadn't thought about it, but I'd be fine with calling a soldier that shoots up a bunch of other soldiers treasonous, particularly if his own statements indicate that it was intended as a strike against the military.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    True, there is probably some new workplace law the government wants rushing through.

A question; so if an American soldier goes crazy and kills a load of Afghan civilians is that a terrorist attack too?
    Technically yes, but good luck getting them to admit it.

I don't really see why it wouldn't be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's happened. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97J04120130820

Yea I remember it vaguely that's why I brought it up, I just wondered if it would be classified as terrorism although it does appear that, after researching, there is no clear definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    And not once was the words terrorist or terrorism used. How surprising...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    If it was a terrorist attack it was the worst thought out one in a very long time, it caused people to distrust muslims in the military even more, if a Major can turn on you, why not that new guy that has been here for 6 weeks?
    objectively not a bad plan actually. if muslims feel ostracized they wont serve in the military, and a few might get their feelings hurt enough to join the cause. fucked up, but still a strategy that can pay off. this was never about "let muslims and american people be friends", it was totally about creating an "us and them" type of division
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    objectively not a bad plan actually. if muslims feel ostracized they wont serve in the military, and a few might get their feelings hurt enough to join the cause. fucked up, but still a strategy that can pay off. this was never about "let muslims and american people be friends", it was totally about creating an "us and them" type of division
    A better long term plan would be to use infiltrators that will leak information, something that is much more difficult to do since this Major shot the place up.