Thinking of coming back....

Hey all, been getting pretty bored with WoW lately and thought about re-subbing to it. Is it still pretty good population? I haven't played in maybe 6 months and was wondering if there's anything I could know about the game that's changed. I've only got maybe 3 characters 20+ (Powertech,Warrior and Sorcerer)then lots around 10-15 range. Also what is the fastest way to level up now? Any and all info would be helpful and thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rolgriff View Post
    Hey all, been getting pretty bored with WoW lately and thought about re-subbing to it. Is it still pretty good population? I haven't played in maybe 6 months and was wondering if there's anything I could know about the game that's changed. I've only got maybe 3 characters 20+ (Powertech,Warrior and Sorcerer)then lots around 10-15 range. Also what is the fastest way to level up now? Any and all info would be helpful and thanks in advance!
    I just started playing a few weeks ago for the first time. I am quite impressed with the population on The Jedi Convent.

I'm not certain on "the best way" to level. But i've been sticking with my Class Story and doing a few side quests when I need the XP to be on par with the next planet.

XP Boosts have been great rewards from quests. Quite helpful.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

You don't *have* to subscribe now. I played beta, bought the game pre-release and played for a couple of months (main to 50, alts to 30-ish), and stopped until about two weeks ago.

I've since been playing (as "Preferred" F2P) and quite enjoying it. I've yet to re-subscribe or get the expansion (Rise of the Hutt Cartel), but I've not had any problem levelling via class quests (with side-quests in the area I'm in, not going out of my way for Heroic 2 or 4s).

As Kathandira said, you also get complementary 25% XP boosts from some quests. I've still got a stack of 9 on my level 39 Juggernaut, I occasionally use one when I'm definitely going to be spending the buff duration questing. I also do flashpoints, since the planetary commendations are now planet agnostic (previously, you'd get them for a specific planet and they'd be no use later on). I've got full custom quality gear, so I can swap in commendation mods to keep everything up to date.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

I've considered to give SWTOR another try. Maybe just to finish off old class stories, but maybe also to get the "expansion" and level a char to 55. Now I noticed all planetary commendations have been condensed to just one currency and my former 50s sit at 200 (of 100 allowed). So I wonder if I decided to buy Rothc, are those Makeb items at 50 worth it or is there better stuff I could by with the planetary comms at 55 ?

For most of my 50s the mods would be upgrades, I'm just unsure if their might be a better use for the commendations, that I simply haven't seen yet. Also how about the difficulty on Makeb is old level gear enough to explore the planet or would I actually need to upgrade my stuff with the planetary comms ?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhreia View Post
    I've considered to give SWTOR another try. Maybe just to finish off old class stories, but maybe also to get the "expansion" and level a char to 55. Now I noticed all planetary commendations have been condensed to just one currency and my former 50s sit at 200 (of 100 allowed). So I wonder if I decided to buy Rothc, are those Makeb items at 50 worth it or is there better stuff I could by with the planetary comms at 55 ?

For most of my 50s the mods would be upgrades, I'm just unsure if their might be a better use for the commendations, that I simply haven't seen yet. Also how about the difficulty on Makeb is old level gear enough to explore the planet or would I actually need to upgrade my stuff with the planetary comms ?

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Makeb Commendation vendor has the best stuff you can buy with Planetary Comms, unless you like buying the boxes with random gear inside them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing again yesterday, leveling a new character to get back into the game. Enjoying it so far. I don't like how I had to buy Cathar while I've got a sub and the expansion, but oh well. I used the points I got with my sub for it. Guess that's somewhat OK.

Got this weird bug though, where every time my character enters combat stance (unsheathing weapon), it freezes, just stck in 1 position, but I can move. Maybe it's because the game isn't fully downloaded yet. Still weird though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I started playing again yesterday, leveling a new character to get back into the game. Enjoying it so far. I don't like how I had to buy Cathar while I've got a sub and the expansion, but oh well. I used the points I got with my sub for it. Guess that's somewhat OK.

Got this weird bug though, where every time my character enters combat stance (unsheathing weapon), it freezes, just stck in 1 position, but I can move. Maybe it's because the game isn't fully downloaded yet. Still weird though
    I recommend not playing until it is 100% downloaded and installed.

I played during the process and ended up with corrupted files. I had to re-install since the Repair functionality was not enabled.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been thinking as well about trying it again. Got a few friends that stuck with it since the launch I got to 50 on the BH then stopped. This game like WoW where if I start up get the xpac level to 55 I can get roughly caught up in about 2 3 weeks?

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Took me 2 days to get to 55 then a week to get geared as a tank keep in mind lvled from 1 to 55
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two days to level to 55 causes my BS-O-Meter to go off. I suppose if you spacebar everything and pound Nos energy drinks then maybe...but skipping the story is kinda skipping the best part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Two days to level to 55 causes my BS-O-Meter to go off. I suppose if you spacebar everything and pound Nos energy drinks then maybe...but skipping the story is kinda skipping the best part of the game.

If you bought all of the experience perks, and bought exp boosts, I think you could pound to max level in a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaturtle View Post
    Been thinking as well about trying it again. Got a few friends that stuck with it since the launch I got to 50 on the BH then stopped. This game like WoW where if I start up get the xpac level to 55 I can get roughly caught up in about 2 3 weeks?
    You mean start with your 50? Yeah, you can probably do Makeb and gear up a bit in 2-3 weeks. If you're starting a new level 1, I'd recommend taking your time and enjoying the journey though.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Well at the time i've already seen it all XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    yeah great game so

Deleted
    There are still a lot of people on the servers. I still enjoy the game despite its faults.

I enjoyed leveling my first char, there was just nothing to do at 50, I played beta - pre-launch and then quit. Is it worth me going to play again with a new char?

Do I realistically need to pay a subscription for the game to be worth it or can I play F2P? I own a standard box version of the game, to be honest I don't care so much about endgame, I think of it as more like KOTOR3 and just want to play through with a Trooper.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    You can F2P and do just fine. There are some quality of life things that you will notice, but most have a work around if you are willing to work a little and spend some credits on the GTN for the unlocks. If you plan on hopping between a bunch of Alts then I would suggest Subbing out of convenience.

As for whether its worth it to play again with a new character...that's up to you. Endgame is largely the same with various Flashpoints, Operations, Dailies, and PvP to keep you occupied. If you're not interested in any of that, then the only reason to play is to experience the storylines.

From what I'm gathering I can only do 5 battleground (pvp) per week if I dont pay a subscription? I'm not completely against the idea of a subscription, I'd like to be able to do some PvP but I wont be playing passed the class storyline.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

99% of stuff can be unlocked with credits rather than real life money. So if you really wanted to PvP then you can just buy passes off the GTN.