Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The Hypocrisy of the NRA

http://news.yahoo.com/national-rifle...194327840.html

Warning that the government would make a list of gun owners, while they were doing it quietly behind closed doors. Sounds like par for the course with the NRA.

"Defenders of the policy note that the NRA is a private organization and therefore its efforts to collect information on gun owners is not a contradiction to its opposition to a government mandated gun ownership registry."

your counter argument?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosdanger View Post
    your counter argument?
    i wonder what the nra would be saying if the huffington post was doing this
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Color me shocked. Anything to make more money selling weapons to whoever they can, criminal or not.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

It sounds more like a list of people who like guns so that they can send you spam emails to join the NRA or give them money. Whether or not they keep info about what guns people own from their state/local paperwork isnt mentioned. However at least we know who to subpoena for information on who potentially owns guns so we can look at them closer when the seizures start(not going to happen but it would be awesome to use the NRA to accomplish the thing they hate so much).

It's for marketing purposes. I wonder if AAA has a list of new car owners? Or if AARP has a list of people that were just added to Social Security? Although I don't particularly like the fact the businesses are keeping lists on consumers, I find it a little more offensive when my government does. The NRA or AARP is going to try to get money from me, the government has the power to imprison me, or worse.

This is really an issue? It's pretty clear that the intentions behind the lists are entirely different. Comparing them and calling them hypocrites is political garbage as usual.

I do not see any plausible argument that there's hypocrisy here. I think someone doesn't really know what the word means.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I do not see any plausible argument that there's hypocrisy here. I think someone doesn't really know what the word means.
    I think it nicely highlights what their real motivations are.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Color me shocked. Anything to make more money selling weapons to whoever they can, criminal or not.
    NRA sells weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think it nicely highlights what their real motivations are.
    Selling things. That seems like a giant, "no shit" to me, but perhaps it's news for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/national-rifle...194327840.html

Warning that the government would make a list of gun owners, while they were doing it quietly behind closed doors. Sounds like par for the course with the NRA.
    So the NRA has a list of gun owners.
    Isn't that almost by default?
    It's like saying triple A has a list of car owners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosdanger View Post
    "Defenders of the policy note that the NRA is a private organization and therefore its efforts to collect information on gun owners is not a contradiction to its opposition to a government mandated gun ownership registry."

your counter argument?
    Sure, the NRA can collect information from willful participants. However, the article notes right off the bat that they are collecting this information by utilizing government databases. Probably because they're aware that if they said "we're going to make a database of gun owners!" a lot of their members would object.

So the irony is: the NRA database is only as complete as the US government's database!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So the NRA has a list of gun owners.
    Isn't that almost by default?
    It's like saying triple A has a list of car owners.
    NRA should have a list of members. They are blatant fucking hypocrites to track gun permits and who is trained on guns.

Joining the NRA is voluntary.

Same cannot be said of the Federal gov't.

OP is full potato,

Infracted: Please don't be insulting towards other posters.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-08-22 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for them personally... far too involved in politics and didn't used to be that way. Really don't appreciate seeing all the scare tactic mail they like to send my father when there is an election nearing. Consider that pretty manipulative and don't trust them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    NRA is a private organization whose purpose is to promote and foster the responsible ownership of guns.

Government is a public organization who wants to tax, regulate, and otherwise restrict the freedoms of gun owners.

Seems like a pretty big difference to me when #1 wants to have a list to assist and defend gun owners, verses #2 who wants to restrict and punish gun owners.

Meh, just don't send me a whole bunch of useless shit int he mail.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Joining the NRA is voluntary.

Same cannot be said of the Federal gov't.

OP is full potato,
    Guess you didn't read the part where they went to county court houses getting records of people that may or may not be members of the NRA that have permits for guns. Something they didn't want to be a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Guess you didn't read the part where they went to county court houses getting records of people that may or may not be members of the NRA that have permits for guns. Something they didn't want to be a part of.
    So they went to court houses and got public records?