Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    NRA is a private organization whose purpose is to promote and foster the responsible ownership of guns.
    This stopped being the case when they became a front for the GOP.

Government is a public organization who wants to tax, regulate, and otherwise restrict the freedoms of gun owners.
    Which is a very simplistic way of looking at it since "government" also includes members who want to promote and foster the responsible ownership of guns through regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a gun owner I only have it to protect myself. I think its kinda good their doing this. I mean it tells how many guns a person owns if hes a potential threat and every owner so they know. Who really cares

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    NRA is a private organization whose purpose is to promote and foster the responsible ownership of guns.
    Someone actually believes this?

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    I am a gun owner I only have it to protect myself. I think its kinda good their doing this. I mean it tells how many guns a person owns if hes a potential threat and every owner so they know. Who really cares
    So you wouldn't mind the feds did something like this? Cause the thought process seems to be that with that list the government would do something evil...... While some how the NRA are the good guys because they did it.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    I mean it tells how many guns a person owns if hes a potential threat
    Would be nice if they at least did do this, but the way they get, well, up in arms, so to speak, when there is an incident...somehow though I doubt they've ever make a move. They seem more concerned these days with wanting to protect the guns and keep them in the hands of an individual even if there are red flags about that person. In the case of an unstable person, I wish I could say that I'd trust them to place the safety of citizens as a higher priority than an amendment right an individual that shouldn't be trusted, but that isn't the case.

Them gathering a list just reeks of them looking for more people to mail their scare tactics to for political reasons.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-22 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Someone actually believes this?
    It was that way before it was taken over by manufacturers in the 70s.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NRA can't do anything more with that information than send non members pamphlets and discounts on membership, the government could potentially do some rather stupid things with it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    The NRA can't do anything more with that information than send non members pamphlets and discounts on membership, the government could potentially do some rather stupid things with it.
    Like what, exactly?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosdanger View Post
    "Defenders of the policy note that the NRA is a private organization and therefore its efforts to collect information on gun owners is not a contradiction to its opposition to a government mandated gun ownership registry."

your counter argument?
    Well, information on gun owners, whether its the NRAs or the government's is the same, its a list either way. If anything the NRAs list is more worry some because it is a private organization, which means the people actually have no power over it.

AND if you put on ur good 'ol tinfoil hat... the NRA might be taken over by those globalists, then with their list they take away everyone's guns!
    Which actually might be a good business model, convince everyone to get assault weapons, then get the government to ban them, forcing all of the people who just bought those guns, to buy more. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

your counter argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Like what, exactly?
    You know what, and I said potentially, not they would. I highly doubt they would, but there is an unknowable possibility called the future, and that's the problem. You don't give an entity as powerful as the government information they have no business knowing just because you think they wont do anything with it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what, and I said potentially, not they would. I highly doubt they would, but there is a possibility they could in the future, and that's the problem. You don't give an entity as powerful as the government information they have no business knowing just because you think they wont do anything with it.
    And potentially if my auntie had a cock and balls she would be my uncle.

You'll have to provide specific reasons as to why a national gun registry would be a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And potentially if my auntie had a cock and balls she would be my uncle.

You'll have to provide specific reasons as to why a national gun registry would be a bad thing.

The unpredictability of the future is enough for me, thanks. You have not a single fucking clue what they would or wouldn't do with that list in X amount of years, they have no reason to know, no reason to need it, and we have no reason to give it to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    As leery as I am of the NRA as a rule, I gotta agree with lockedout and other posters. The NRA's not really being hypocritical here.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    The unpredictability of the future is enough for me, thanks. You have not a single fucking clue what they would or wouldn't do with that list in X amount of years, they have no reason to know, no reason to need it, and we have no reason to give it to them.
    There is actually very good reason for it.

It should be as difficult to buy and sell guns as it is cars. You're required to register your car, why not your guns?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is actually very good reason for it.

It should be as difficult to buy and sell guns as it is cars. You're required to register your car, why not your guns?
    Well I don't think people should have to register their cars, vehicle registration was developed as a tax for the state governments to help cover road construction and maintenance. They don't need any tax money from gun registration, I'm sure they would like to have it, but they don't need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't think people should have to register their cars, vehicle registration was developed as a tax for the state governments to help cover road construction and maintenance. They don't need any tax money from gun registration.
    And here I had a joke about registering cotton gins this long after they've become obsolete at the ready, and you had to go and fix your typo. :c
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what, and I said potentially, not they would. I highly doubt they would, but there is an unknowable possibility called the future, and that's the problem. You don't give an entity as powerful as the government information they have no business knowing just because you think they wont do anything with it.
    And Godzilla could rise from the ocean and destroy Tokyo. Your point?

Regardless... this little stunt isn't even the most hypocritical thing the NRA does or continues to do...

To those who say "they promote gun safety and decry gun violence," consider the fact that the NRA has OSTENSIBLY fought to RESTRICT researching gun violence on a large scale. If people are truly interested in reducing gun violence, as opposed to calling some form of "let the cards fall where they may," the NRA is not some godsend... They've made it a point in the past to stymie gun crime research... (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26guns.html?_r=0)

For those too lazy to click links:

"Scientists in the field and former officials with the government agency that used to finance the great bulk of this research say the influence of the National Rife Association has all but choked off money for such work. "

" The amount of money available today for studying the impact of firearms is a fraction of what it was in the mid-1990s, and the number of scientists toiling in the field has dwindled to just a handful as a result, researchers say.

The dearth of money can be traced in large measure to a clash between public health scientists and the N.R.A. in the mid-1990s. At the time, Dr. Rosenberg and others at the C.D.C. were becoming increasingly assertive about the importance of studying gun-related injuries and deaths as a public health phenomenon, financing studies that found, for example, having a gun in the house, rather than conferring protection, significantly increased the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance. "

"Language was also inserted into the centers’ appropriations bill that remains in place today: 'None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.'

The prohibition is striking, firearms researchers say, because there are already regulations that bar the use of C.D.C. money for lobbying for or against legislation. No other field of inquiry is singled out in this way."

Anyone that thinks the NRA "speaks for the people" is off their rocker. They're a mouthpiece for the gun lobby intent on doing one thing: selling guns. As many as possible.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't think people should have to register their cars, vehicle registration was developed as a tax for the state governments to help cover road construction and maintenance. They don't need any tax money from gun registration, I'm sure they would like to have it, but they don't need it.
    What about to cover all the costs surrounding gun violence? Doesn't that require tax money? It's also an aid to law enforcement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    As leery as I am of the NRA as a rule, I gotta agree with lockedout and other posters. The NRA's not really being hypocritical here.
    Won't stop the anti-gun nuts from raging against the NRA.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    And here I had a joke about registering cotton gins this long after they've become obsolete at the ready, and you had to go and fix your typo. :c

Rofl, yeah I had to be quick about that one.