10+ Year Old Account

Windows 7 product key not working

Hello, so I just made my new computer and was going to install the operating system but they key does not work. I got the cd from a uni that my mum works at for free and it's a 64bit version.

Just wondering if I need 32bit or something or do I just have the wrong key?

I would look more into the copy you obtained.
    How exactly was it obtained for free, how is it licensed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I would look more into the copy you obtained.
    How exactly was it obtained for free, how is it licensed.
    My mum went to the computer department at the uni she is a tutor there. They said its free to tutors who want it.

No.

Not a legit copy if obtained for free. Tutors do not get windows 7 for free. I'd recommend just buying it. If you bought a new computer, you can afford a copy of OE windows

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Install windows xp its the best imo and free.

That does sound dodgy.
    If it was a license for the institution then that might be illegal.
    I would look into getting a genuine copy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No such thing as free in microsoft you have to pay almost 99-200 dollars for a cd key depending what editions. If you don't plan on formatting like once every 2 years its worth the buy but if you format every 5 months then its best not to buy it. Too many installations will require you to buy new keys unless microsft added a tool to remove the license from the computer. Last OS i bought was vista in 6 months i could not reactivate since it was activated prior. So i switched to linux if viruses didn't exist for windows i would of bought the new one. Microsoft should start making a OS that its permanent no changes are allowed in the OS so viruses cant get through

Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    Hello, so I just made my new computer and was going to install the operating system but they key does not work. I got the cd from a uni that my mum works at for free and it's a 64bit version.

Just wondering if I need 32bit or something or do I just have the wrong key?
    You might have received a retail copy and an OEM key, or the other way around.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    No such thing as free in microsoft you have to pay almost 99-200 dollars for a cd key depending what editions. If you don't plan on formatting like once every 2 years its worth the buy but if you format every 5 months then its best not to buy it. Too many installations will require you to buy new keys unless microsft added a tool to remove the license from the computer. Last OS i bought was vista in 6 months i could not reactivate since it was activated prior. So i switched to linux if viruses didn't exist for windows i would of bought the new one. Microsoft should start making a OS that its permanent no changes are allowed in the OS so viruses cant get through
    I think you went a bit overkill with the rant...and Linux/Apple are not without viruses themselves, they are just harder to hear about.

Talk to her and ask her to talk to the school and see why the copy does not work. They could be getting them through some kinda of sponsor/gov/state program and there is always the chance that someone and used them.

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    No.

Not a legit copy if obtained for free. Tutors do not get windows 7 for free. I'd recommend just buying it. If you bought a new computer, you can afford a copy of OE windows
    Don't assume it's not legit just because it was obtained for free. Alot of companies give free copies for educational uses as it helps them secure future customers and spread their product around AND they can use it as a tax write-off.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    You might have received a retail copy and an OEM key, or the other way around.
    Retail and OEM discs do not vary by any considerable amount, and the keys work interchangeably.
    You can download official retail ISO's and use OEM keys just fine.

Microsoft Dreamspark free software for eligible recipients in education.
    Windows is common, therefore is more tempting target for viruses.
    Other OS's have them too, just not worth the effort so much because the potential victims are fewer.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-08-22 at 02:23 AM.

Deleted
    I study IT and get several Microsoft programs for free. It's called DreamSpark.

Yeah I get almost 200 Microsoft programs for free from Dreamspark, including Windows 7/8

10+ Year Old Account
    Download <snip>, solves your problem. If it was meant to be free, then use the program and it will be treated as free.

Do not suggest piracy. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-08-22 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    Download <snip>, solves your problem. If it was meant to be free, then use the program and it will be treated as free.
    This is not an advisable topic of conversation on these forums and not helpful in this situation.

OT; I would take it back to them and have them verify what they gave you. Many educational places get products at reduced or discounted rates. (Example; Military folks get Office 2013 for 9.99 in Microsofts Home Use Program.)
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-08-22 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post

Do not suggest piracy. - Cilraaz
    Sorry it wasn't intended as an option to resort to piracy. The OP claims that the license was a free copy and i saw a means to his frustration that his key was not working. Wasn't trying to advocate piracy : )

No such thing as free in microsoft you have to pay almost 99-200 dollars for a cd key depending what editions. If you don't plan on formatting like once every 2 years its worth the buy but if you format every 5 months then its best not to buy it. Too many installations will require you to buy new keys unless microsft added a tool to remove the license from the computer.

Last OS i bought was vista in 6 months i could not reactivate since it was activated prior. So i switched to linux if viruses didn't exist for windows i would of bought the new one. Microsoft should start making a OS that its permanent no changes are allowed in the OS so viruses cant get through
    1.) You just phone them up if that happens, so they free up the license

2.) Malicious programs can run inside of packages in Linux, so you can get screwed even if you use fakeroot to compile/install them. No platform is safe from viruses. Most of the time, you get a virus from being an idiot or trying to download something that you shouldn't, though there are a few cases where there are legitimate sites which have had vulnerabilities injected into some form of web content.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably an Enterprise key. Just get windows Enterprise edition and install that.

That key from Uni is probably VLK meant for the professional or enterprise version and would not work on home edition.

32 or 64 bit dont matter.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    every one saying you cant get it for free is wrong, theres something at uni you get is called MSDNAA, its a microsoft program that allows students and tutors to aquire the OS for free, you get the product key and activation code when you register for the product.

ive had the MSDNAA program and aquired win 7 64 bit, as long as you can log onto the account, you can grab the codes on your account, ask your mother to log on to the account, it should be still there.

the uni technically pays for the licence and program