Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Gold Gone? Germany baffled as Fed bars access to bullion

According to this Germany isn't allowed to have its gold until 2020.
    They aren't even allowed to see it. The gold is stored in the federal reserve.

This is a super old story. There was a huge long discussion on it many months ago. See if you can find the thread if you really want to talk about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know why people are so up in the arse about their gold reserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it's gone. Is it possible that we just decided to keep it, though. Crazier things have happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post

According to this Germany isn't allowed to have its gold until 2020.
    They aren't even allowed to see it. The gold is stored in the federal reserve.
    Dude this happened august 15 I mean it seems like all you do is post old things. Never new.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I honestly don't know why people are so up in the arse about their gold reserves.
    I don't even get why we still need gold reserves in the first place

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    A very valid question.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Because some people think that shiny metal is somehow a good basis for currency. As if it is good for anything except being shiny and building good fiber cables.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    Dude this happened august 15 I mean it seems like all you do is post old things. Never new.
    An entire week ago!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a super old story. There was a huge long discussion on it many months ago. See if you can find the thread if you really want to talk about this.
    I did that once and got infracted for necroing a 2 month old thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Because some people think that shiny metal is somehow a good basis for currency. As if it is good for anything except being shiny and building good fiber cables.
    Worked for how many thousand years?

Really? That seems... excessive.

- - - Updated - - -

It only worked because everyone agreed it had a value. Just like any Fiat Currency.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been saying this for years. People want to stockpile gold in case of the end of society, but in a post-apocalyptic world, who the fuck is going to give you shit for a useless yellow metal that's so soft you can't even use it as a weapon?

If anything, we should have an iron reserve, or a coal reserve. Or a canned food and guns reserve. You know, stuff that actually has practical value. Literally anything but gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Worked" is stretching it a bit; even then, trying to compare ancient economies to modern ones is rather silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I've been saying this for years. People want to stockpile gold in case of the end of society, but in a post-apocalyptic world, who the fuck is going to give you shit for a useless yellow metal that's so soft you can't even use it as a weapon?

If anything, we should have an iron reserve, or a coal reserve. Or a canned food and guns reserve. You know, stuff that actually has practical value. Literally anything but gold.
    Ammunition.

"Worked" is stretching it a bit; even then, trying to compare ancient economies to modern ones is rather silly.
    Well its the reason banks hold it.
    According to ben bernanke it's "tradition"

- - - Updated - - -

That statement is silly since modern economies are based from ancient ones.

Ammunition.
    Medical Supplies, Canned Food, and Ammunition. Functional Weapons and/or tools might be pretty valuable too.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Really? That seems... excessive.

- - - Updated - - -

It only worked because everyone agreed it had a value. Just like any Fiat Currency.
    well, it wasn't just like any fiat currency. you couldn't just print more gold and declare some arbitrary value.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    well, it wasn't just like any fiat currency. you couldn't just print more gold and declare some arbitrary value.
    You can mine more, of confiscate, or whatever you want with gold. It isn't as if there was a gold shortage. Governments/Societies purposely mined only a small amount at a time.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ammunition.
    Exactly. We could have an ammunition backed currency. Missiles, bombs, artillery shells, bullets, all worth different denominations. Then, in the event that the world does fall into chaos, hey look! We've got a massive stockpile of weapons built up! And not only can we kill things with them, we can trade them for food and stuff!

Meanwhile, all the other idiot countries just have piles of shiny garbage that they were keeping in our banks anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    An entire week ago!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes this happend a week ago we had a forum thread on it your just bringing up old news.

A very valid question.
    Fungible assets? If people still put value on it, why not keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Exactly. We could have an ammunition backed currency. Missiles, bombs, artillery shells, bullets, all worth different denominations. Then, in the event that the world does fall into chaos, hey look! We've got a massive stockpile of weapons built up! And not only can we kill things with them, we can trade them for food and stuff!

Meanwhile, all the other idiot countries just have piles of shiny garbage that they were keeping in our banks anyway.
    That is kind of the funny thing in this story, if I remember correctly. The other countries agreed to keep their gold in the Fed, and in the contract they didn't have any rights to verify it is actually there, or tour, or whatever.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.