Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Was Diablo 3 a bad game? No.

Was it the best ARPG of all time? Subjective, but I don't think so. I personally thought it was okay-- and it HAS improved vastly since launch-- but there are two major difficulty related flaws that make it not worth it to me. (This is actually endemic to the Diablo series, not particular to 3-- it's the same reason why I never really got into 2 beyond a single playthrough.) My preferred difficulty is Hell-- the first two are too easy, Inferno requires too much time (or money) spent gearing to be worth it to me. And I can't play any other classes without spending hours leveling through way too easy content AGAIN. I play games to have fun, not to spend hours and hours grinding boring content to earn the right to actually have fun. If it were offline I'd just hack in a level 50 character in reasonable, difficulty appropriate gear and go for it, but that's obviously not an option. (I actually am not at all grouchy about the online only part-- it actually makes sense to have an in-game money-based trading system given how common it was in D2, and the little bits going to support the servers aren't a big deal.)

While it's not perfect, either, I found Torchlight 2 to be more conducive to just loading up the game and HAVING FUN without having to jump through hoops first-- I can just pick whichever difficulty I want from the start, on whichever class I want. If I'm not happy with how the game plays, there are mods.

Now, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is the best computer game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    (In response to TL2) and not be able to respec....
    There's a mod made by Runic themselves that adds respecs to the game. Using it will mark the character as a character played in modded games. But if you like to try different specs, who cares? It's your game, play it the way that's most fun to you!
    Last edited by Dawnshadow; 2013-08-22 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Adding a reply.

Dying to random server side lag bugs in hardcore single player because of always online dlc?

yeah, i really like diablo, but that level of horseshit is not exactly a sign of the best anything.

Absolutely not. It has far, far too many problems to even be considered the best ARPG. The game's concept art is horribly butchered by their low-end graphics solution; if any of their franchises needed a 3d entry to have detailed graphics, it was Diablo. Loot design was significantly weakened by class-specific stats, generating categorically useless drops on a class basis. The RMAH compromises the game's integrity of design by giving blizzard a financial interest in specific RMAH activity. To top it all off, the story was an outright insult. The combat was a solid improvement, at least, but that's to be expected when the competition comes from ancient isometric games.

It can and has improved, but a lot of the problems are baked into the game at a very basic level. It's Diablo as imagined by someone that spent far, far too much time on the WoW design team.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not the best game of all time. Not even close. But better than a lot of people say it is and Blizzard has done well in supporting and improving it over the last year.

On a subjective basis, whatever the best computer game of all time really is, it was probably written by Sid Meier.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-08-23 at 12:20 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

pokemon x and y is going to be the best game ever
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I find that the game really has come leaps and bounds from when it was released. Games are allowed to improve over time, and it certainly has become the best ARPG of all time, if not the best computer game of all time.

The thrill of finding a new item and the thrill of discovery is amazing. All the dungeon environments are randomized to the replayability is almost limitless. I think the hate comes from the "gimmie gimmie nao!" generation of gamers. Most of the people who bought D3 initially had never played the previous titles before and wrote it off as shit just because it only provided them with 25 hours of gameplay. A little hint, most games developed only provide around that much time of game play, especially for rpgs or story mode parts of a game.
    No most of the hate comes from D2 players who spent hundreds of hours playing the game over the course of a decade and expected to get the same level of enjoyment out of D3 but didn't.

D3 is cookie cutter, formulaic, rewards gold grinding over item finding and has little replay value. Hardcore mode is a joke due to always online. Level cap actually being obtainable is retarded, paragon levels do nothing of significance to make you feel like you are bettering your character. Game has been stripped of all real RPG character building elements in favor of making the game "easy to pick up and learn"... more like dumbed down for all the CoD kids. Inexcusably bad graphics for a 2012 game not to mention the terrible art direction that ruined the atmosphere the first two games had.

Fuck D3.

Oh, and it ruined the story... but that's a rant for another day.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-08-23 at 12:31 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Not going to provide comment on the quality of the game however I will provide comment on the replies of this thread.

It is clearly evident that a couple million people bought this game having no clue what it was. Not saying that has anything to due with it's perception, but it didn't help. I just can't help but smack my head when people say they thought it was cool when they got it in then realized they had to endlessly farm.

To me, it is one of the best all time. Say top 5. Other than WOW and EQ, it's the game I've spent the most time on. And I've had a lot of fun with it.

While it's certainly not the worst, it's far from the best. It's a shadow of D2, and as far as newer ARPGs go Path of Exile blows it away. I just can't get into D3 because of the poor loot and character ability systems, leveling up is utterly boring. I look forward to every skill point in PoE. Also D3 loot being designed around the AH instead of being designed for fun really hurts the game, it looks like they will be addressing that in the console version so maybe the console version will end up being what the PC version was supposed to. Still the shallow ability system manages makes me lose that whole "just a little longer, gotta get to the next level" pull.

A good game, but very, very, very, very, VERY far from "best computer game of all time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of threads in this forum with reactions to the game in general, and there's no need to create the same thread multiple times.