The quality of posts in this forum has dropped significantly over the past few weeks (no fault of the moderators) due to a perceived dislike of the hunter class by the developers and the belief (which is probably true) that hunter dps will be on the low end in 5.4 for progression guilds.
I think this is mostly due to the inflated number of 13/13 HC players on this forum compared to the overall player population. They are only looking at this problem through a narrow prism.
The hunters I see complaining the most are in guilds where everyone is of similar or equal skill. That is impossible to balance around unless Blizzard wants to make every class a virtual clone of each other.
If they did somehow manage to balance all the classes around just the top 5% of players, then the classes would be unbalanced for the remaining 95%.
Because some classes require significantly more skill in order to reach the theoretical output limit.
Some classes, like hunters, can put out 80+% of their max potential damage with just moderate skill and knowledge of the class. This is due to almost no movement penalty, no DoTs to pay attention to (SS is auto refreshed and BA is just used on cooldown) and very few dps cooldowns.
Other classes, Warlocks/Boomkins/Etc, require much more skill to hit 80% of their potential. DoTs, movement issues, cooldowns, special resources to watch/etc.....
Now, when we start talking about these top 5% of guilds/players, they are pretty much playing at max potential. Top ranked players don't have issues with movement or watching DoTs... So, those classes that are harder to max out, suddenly start pulling away and making hunters worry about losing raid slots.
Yes, this is a problem, but not one that can be fixed easily if at all (class homogenization might be the only way).
It cannot be fixed easily because Blizzard balances dps around those players who are progressing through normal modes and maybe a few months into the tier, heroics. The players who are less skilled..... The players who can make hunters compete easily for the top spots in damage done.
TL;DR: Blizzard balances around players who are progressing through normals and heroics at an average pace as opposed to the players who full clear heroics within a month or two. Those "less skilled" players are able to get more out of classes that require less skill than other classes that are more difficult to master, leading to classes that are balanced for most people, but unbalanced for "elite" players.
PS: Let's stop with the elitist shit. Just because you are 13/13 does not give you a right to just blatantly disregard someone else who you view as less skilled.