Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Will fx-6300 fill my needs?

kk.kk.kkkkk
    Last edited by mmoc02d5946604; 2014-10-02 at 05:44 PM. Reason: gg

10+ Year Old Account
    You dont want to hear this but you should really just save up for a proper i5 and end your problems. If $200 is too much of a luxury as an item that will last potentially years to come, you might need to re-evaluate why you are spending money on computers and not profitable investments to get you out of your bad financial zone.

I'm fairly certain that WoW would do much better with a 3570k than with an fx-6300

Short Answer: Yes you'll be fine if that's the route you want to go. Your graphics card is solid for WoW and 4gb is passable but you should look at bumping up to 8gb if possible.

Long Answer: If you're going to go ahead and get a new mobo anyways you're going to be better off going with an i-series processor, even if its 2nd or 3rd gen if you can't afford 4th. You can even look at going with a used one off ebay from a reputable seller. I'd personally recommend i5 2500k or i5 3570k which should be similar in price from ebay. I would still also recommend going with 8gb of RAM as well but since that's pretty easy to come by you can just start with the processor upgrade for now. WoW is more processor intensive than GPU intensive and those other games you mentioned are the opposite (rough generalization).

Source: I've built mutiple WoW and multimedia pc's for people

Try disabling shadows completely.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/699?vs=105
    61 vs 79 fps, but it's 3.5Ghz because it's 6300. You should expect better results with 6350. I'd say you will be getting something between 20 and 30 fps instead of 14-22. These overclock much better so theoretically you can squeeze another 4-5 fps with overclock.
    You decide if it's worth doing this for such a little gain. In my opinion it's not. You are changing motherboards anyway, so just move to an Intel platform. Even if you can only afford i3 for now, you can upgrade later.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-08-24 at 02:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    (Since you are mentioning € as price, i will post prices and links from Germany)

Yes, you can run an i5-3570k on a H61 motherboard. However there are two things to keep in mind:

1. You probably will need a BIOS update for the board before the Ivy Bridge cpu will run. So if you don't have a Sandy Bridge cpu lying around or can borrow one, this could get problematic. If you want to avoid that, go for a cheap B75 motherboard, they should be nearly the same price range.

2. H61 (and also the above mentioned B75) can not overclock. But the whole point of the i5-3570k is the ability to oc. So if you go for the cheap H61 mobo, you can step the cpu down to the i5-3570 (non-k, 3.4GHz) or one of the other i5-3xxx. The difference in performance is fairly small.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€154.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€54.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €209.07

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (€182.41 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€54.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €237.30

However an i3 is also not a bad choice. It all depends on what you care about. The following should give you a rough outline on what to choose when:

Gaming (MMOs): For cpu dependent games (WoW, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, ...) i advise i3-3240 + B75 motherboard (= 170€). For 50€ more you can get a (non-overclockable) i5, but the performance increase is not that big in games.
    Gaming (other): Does not matter if AMD or Intel. Pick what is cheaper for you (FX-6350 or i3-3240)
    Working (Video): If you also care about other things, like video editing or 3d-modeling, then i would chose the FX-6350 + 970 motherboard (= 185€).

Additional thought: If you plan on streaming while gaming, then an i5 is advisable for WoW, because the i3 will take a fps hit if you record during play (and bring it down to about the FX-6350 level).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Gaming (MMOs): For cpu dependent games (WoW, Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, ...) i advise i3-3240 + B75 motherboard (= 170€). For 50€ more you can get a (non-overclockable) i5, but the performance increase is not that big in games.
    The performance difference between an i3 and an i5 CPU is pretty large in CPU bound games, largely due to presence of turbo boost on i5s and increased L3 cache.

WoW - 18% performance increase between i5-2400 and i3-2100
    SC2 - 16% performance increase between i5-3550 and i3-3220
    Skyrim - 26% performance increase between i5-3550 and i3-3220

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The performance difference between an i3 and an i5 CPU is pretty large in CPU bound games, largely due to presence of turbo boost on i5s and increased L3 cache.
    The price difference between i3 and i5 on the other hand is much higher than those performance differences. i3 is whole lot better value for money for budget builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Your graphics card is solid for WoW and 4gb is passable but you should look at bumping up to 8gb if possible.
    In 99% of games including WoW you won't see any difference between 4GB and 8GB of RAM making it wasted money for OP.

Source: I've built mutiple WoW and multimedia pc's for people
    ie. nowhere
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-24 at 08:16 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    The price difference between i3 and i5 on the other hand is much higher than those performance differences which is the main reason why i3 is recommended as budget solution.
    Diminishing returns for performance/price, just like with GPUs.

25-40% increase in performance for 15-25% increase in performance sounds reasonable to me.

Just disproving that "the performance increase is not that big in games".

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (€113.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €168.78
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-24 10:18 CEST+0200)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€154.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €209.07
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-24 10:18 CEST+0200)
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-08-24 at 08:22 AM.

Diminishing returns for performance/price, just like with GPUs.

25-40% increase in price for 15-25% increase in performance sounds reasonable to me.
    And that's why people who want value for their money (like the OP) never gets top of the line stuff, especially when talking about GPUs.

Also the WoW flightpath benchmark isn't really accurate depiction of raid performance, single core benchmark is more accurate when comparing the relative performance of processors.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-24 at 10:52 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by boneful View Post
    that benchmark #4 posted is useless for me (no offence), since no one with i7 gets 70 fps in raids and it's probably questing benchmark
    The expectation is that CPU performance scales linearly from in world (flight point) to raiding; X CPU is always has A% performance of Y CPu's performance under a CPU bottleneck. This is under the assumption that the benchmark is performed in a situation with a full CPU bottleneck (eg. low resolution) which it is.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-08-24 at 06:44 PM.

The expectation is that CPU performance scales linearly from in world (flight point) to raiding; X CPU is always has A% performance of Y CPu's performance under a CPU bottleneck.
    Not true because the flightpath benchmark has nearly zero creatures or players in combatlog range which is the biggest (but not the only) reason for CPU usage.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Not true because the flightpath benchmark has nearly zero creatures or players in combatlog range which is the biggest (but not the only) reason for CPU usage.
    But it is still possible to force a CPU bottleneck in a FP. Its a different thread that is bottlenecking (probably the one that handles objects), but a CPU bottleneck nonetheless.

vesseblah a little rude. You could at least try throw in something helpful if you're going to tear other people down. While WoW itself may not use 4gb in total but if he like to keep other things open he would still find a gain not to mention would be a great investment anyways for the other games he plays and again you leave out the part where I say 4gb is passable and that it's upgradeable easily down the road anyways.

Solid choice there boneful, I hope you enjoy your new components!

10+ Year Old Account
    vesseblah a little rude. You could at least try throw in something helpful if you're going to tear other people down. While WoW itself may not use 4gb in total but if he like to keep other things open he would still find a gain not to mention would be a great investment anyways for the other games he plays and again you leave out the part where I say 4gb is passable and that it's upgradeable easily down the road anyways.

Solid choice there boneful, I hope you enjoy your new components!
    Man its how vesse operates despite the tone most of the time the point is correct.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

You could at least try throw in something helpful if you're going to tear other people down. While WoW itself may not use 4gb in total but if he like to keep other things open
    I was being helpful, just not wasting words with sugar coating it. OP is budget minded person looking for best upgrade who said nothing about keeping other things open, so under the circumstances adding more RAM will give nearly zero benefit with the money spent because his current RAM can be reused.

vesseblah a little rude.
    You aren't the first or even fifth person who gives poor advice waving whatever credentials as their qualification to do so.

First few got even bigger cold shower. One of the more ridiculous ones last year claimed he had been building computers for living for more than 20 years but didn't know most of ATX specification power draw is from +12V lines instead of +5V since 2003 (which was the main reason for ATX 2.0 spec, and marked by changing motheboard power cable from 20pin to 24pin). Getting hardware advice from that kind of people... brrr....

So I'm sure you can see why it's immediate red flag for me and gets closer scrutiny.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boneful View Post
    thx if you read the whole post.
    Dont buy AMD for wow, as wow has terrible multicore support. You wont propably even notice any difference between x4 II 630 and fx-6300.

Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Dont buy AMD for wow, as wow has terrible multicore support. You wont propably even notice any difference between x4 II 630 and fx-6300.
    He will notice between 20% and 30% increase in FPS. Whether that's a lot at 14 fps is up for him to decide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    He will notice between 20% and 30% increase in FPS. Whether that's a lot at 14 fps is up for him to decide.
    What ever, my point was that i3 at same price is much better for wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    What ever, my point was that i3 at same price is much better for wow.
    Read the whole thread and you will notice that it has been said as he will need a new board + ram + cpu he is better off going intel.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

He doesn't need to change RAM. 4GB RAM is enough for most things unless you run RAM intensive applications like virtual machines.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-08-26 at 09:59 AM.