arcane mage aoe rotation questions

hi

i've tried reading up on arcane mage aoe rotation, however i'm a bit confused on some parts (gonna use icy veins rotation as basis):

1.) against <5 clumped targets, it says to bomb all targets, and continue single target rotation except to barrage at #ofmobs+1 arcane charges. does this mean i ignore casting arcane missiles when i'm "cleave"ing? (since arcane charges never get to 4)

2.) with 5 targets, it says to just bomb and continue normal rotation, so does this mean i now cast arcane missiles>arcane barrage as well?

3.) at what # of mobs do i replace arcane blast with arcane explosion?

thanks for any help. sorry i tried checking the arcane mage pve guide but it seems outdated and it also doesn't tell me specifics of the aoe rotation

Quote Originally Posted by cross34 View Post
    hi

i've tried reading up on arcane mage aoe rotation, however i'm a bit confused on some parts (gonna use icy veins rotation as basis):

1.) against <5 clumped targets, it says to bomb all targets, and continue single target rotation except to barrage at #ofmobs+1 arcane charges. does this mean i ignore casting arcane missiles when i'm "cleave"ing? (since arcane charges never get to 4)

2.) with 5 targets, it says to just bomb and continue normal rotation, so does this mean i now cast arcane missiles>arcane barrage as well?

3.) at what # of mobs do i replace arcane blast with arcane explosion?

thanks for any help. sorry i tried checking the arcane mage pve guide but it seems outdated and it also doesn't tell me specifics of the aoe rotation
    If its 5 or more and you are able to stand in melee then just roll NT and spam AE. If you can't be in melee then keep NT up and do single target rotation including missiles

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    If its 5 or more and you are able to stand in melee then just roll NT and spam AE. If you can't be in melee then keep NT up and do single target rotation including missiles
    If standing in melee I would probably use glyphed CoC on CD as well if there are 5 or more targets.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoriesLA View Post
    If standing in melee I would probably use glyphed CoC on CD as well if there are 5 or more targets.
    AE at 4 charges does more damage, damages in 360 degrees and generates missiles. So...why?

thanks kenbud and theoriesLA!

so at 4 and below, even if i'm in melee range, i avoid using AE? (unless i have to move)

edit: sorry just to clarify, was looking for the magic number of mobs when i start to replace AB with AE

also at 3 or more enemies, i avoid casting arcane missiles altogether right? (my guess from reading the normal rotation)
    Last edited by cross34; 2013-08-25 at 02:12 AM.

With 4 or less mobs just do single target, missiles included, and keep NT on all. 5 or more mobs is probly where you want to NT and AE spam.

With 4 or less mobs just do single target, missiles included, and keep NT on all. 5 or more mobs is probly where you want to NT and AE spam.
    i mean for example 3 mobs, i'm supposed to ABarrage at 2 stacks of arcane charges right? where do i insert AM? only when i get 2 procs?

sorry for all the questions

AE at 4 charges does more damage, damages in 360 degrees and generates missiles. So...why?
    AE damage scales with charges? I didn't think it did since Cata. It is also pretty trivial even if you're in melee to just take a step to the side of the group and aim down the center to tag everything with CoC, but really, this is moot anyway since it depends on the exact positioning of the group being aoe'd and the OP was kinda vague, if you can hit em all with CoC, it's better damage.

Really you're are basically just weighing the extra damage of one glyphed CoC against a 30% chance for an additional missile charge. Seeing as CoC is almost double the damage it is probably more worthwhile. Now that said whether you do it or not, the difference is pretty small, if you feel you can spare the glyph slot, go for it.

AE does the same damage at 1 charge that it does with 4 charges. If you are in a good position using glyphed CoC>AE .

Quote Originally Posted by cross34 View Post
    i mean for example 3 mobs, i'm supposed to ABarrage at 2 stacks of arcane charges right? where do i insert AM? only when i get 2 procs?

sorry for all the questions
    You only want to missile if you are a 4 charges unless you are are at 1 charge with 2 missile procs then use 1 missile and continue to 4 charges as not to waste additional missile procs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzet View Post
    AE damage scales with charges?
    Ah yes you are correct, it does not. but it is a 30% per target for AE not a flat 30%

Hm, I always thought it was a flat 30% chance to proc missiles per AE cast, and it didn't change no matter how many targets you hit. It feels like that's the way it works, especially in situations like iron qon trash where if both packs of dogs are pulled I can cast AE 10 times, hitting like 20 targets each time and only be at 1 or 2 charges after that. I could be wrong, it's not something I've tested extensively.

Deleted
    Ah yes you are correct, it does not. but it is a 30% per target for AE not a flat 30%
    It's a flat 30% chance as long as 1 target is hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    It's a flat 30% chance as long as 1 target is hit.
    Do gaining charges work the same way? Flat % I mean?

Deleted
    Do gaining charges work the same way? Flat % I mean?
    Not quite sure what you mean?
    I was talking about the flat % chance to gain a charge with AE. So long as 1 target is hit, it's 30%. Doesn't matter if you hit a million targets or one, chance to gain 1 charge is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean?
    I was talking about the flat % chance to gain a charge with AE. So long as 1 target is hit, it's 30%. Doesn't matter if you hit a million targets or one, chance to gain 1 charge is the same.
    The % to gain a charge and % to proc missiles are different correct? I was wondering if they are both flat %. And I thought you had to hit 2 or more targets to gain a charge with AE

Deleted
    The % to gain a charge and % to proc missiles are different correct? I was wondering if they are both flat %. And I thought you had to hit 2 or more targets to gain a charge with AE
    Ah sorry.

Charges is 30% Flat assuming 1 target is hit.
    Missiles is 40% Flat assuming 1 target is hit.