10+ Year Old Account

Question Looking to get a new gaming laptop. Suggestions?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting over in these parts of the boards, so bear with me.

I've been using a Dell XPS 15 for a few years now, since I started college, and the hard drive went out on me about a week ago and now it's sitting on my dresser gathering dust. A friend of mine is going to pay the 100$ to get it fixed and then I'll be giving it to him, as it's about time for me to get an upgrade. So I've been looking around at different options, and I have a few that seem good picked out, but I wanted to take a step over here and see if the you guys have any suggestions or alternatives within my price range.

The laptop(s) I was looking at was the MSi GT60 2OC-022US (http://tinyurl.com/kuuuuza) [or the 17 inch model, the GT70 2OC-065US (http://tinyurl.com/ljmfxed)]. I was also looking at the MSi GX70-3BE-007US, but this is loaded with the AMD A-Series A10-5750M and the AMD Radeon HD 8970M for graphics, which is apparently horrendously limited by the power of the A10, which for 100$ cheaper seems like a huge waste. My budget is around 1400-1500$ with shipping, which is around what these cost.

A desktop isn't an option for me (and I know they will always be better for the price), as I'm a student and I travel to and from my work at a game studio in the south of Los Angeles, and I don't think lugging a tower there and back is very viable.

I basically just want to be able to play WoW, GW2, EU IV, Diablo 3, SimCity, etc at high/decent settings, and most upcoming MMOs (EQ:N, Wildstar,) with decent frame rates. Down the line I'm hoping to have something decent enough to play 2014 releases at a decent/medium setting. I also stream a little bit on the go, but this isn't a big deal to be able to do by any means.

I'm fine with Windows 7 or 8, I don't have a preference, and I live in the United States if that helps at all for those looking around for me.

If anyone has any suggestion on other laptops, slightly more or less expensive, I would love to hear them. If you think the selections I have in mind now are good, let me know about that too.

PS: Linked Best Buy as we get a small discount there from my brother. (super minimal, nothing major)

The HD 8970m is a really good GPU, better than the 770m and on-par with the 780m. It is something to consider(although after some googling, the processor seems to suck something fierce, so it's not really worth it being pared with a nice GPU), although if you play MMO's alot, an Intel-based system is probably a better choice, though I'm unsure how much the difference in between Intel & AMD mobile CPU's in MMO's.

I'd go with the GT70 2OC-065US.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    The HD 8970m is a really good GPU, better than the 770m and on-par with the 780m. It is something to consider(although after some googling, the processor seems to suck something fierce, so it's not really worth it being pared with a nice GPU), although if you play MMO's alot, an Intel-based system is probably a better choice, though I'm unsure how much the difference in between Intel & AMD mobile CPU's in MMO's.

I'd go with the GT70 2OC-065US.
    That's what I've noticed. The 8970m seems to be amazing, but then they stuck it with an awful CPU which apparently limits it majorly. I'm leaning more towards the intel systems, unless anyone else has other options that I've not seen or heard about.

Thanks though!

The GX60/70 reviews are not good in terms of gaming performance for the reason you mention.

But you have several other choices:

a. The Lenovo Y510p is the most cost effective machine right now. GT 750M SLI, nice matte 1080p screen with relatively good viewing angles, good sound quality, backlit keyboard for $1000

b. Other gaming laptops under $1000 like the Clevo W230ST / Sager NP7330 for its high performance and very good IPS screen

Quote Originally Posted by junky View Post
    The GX60/70 reviews are not good in terms of gaming performance for the reason you mention.

But you have several other choices:

a. The Lenovo Y510p is the most cost effective machine right now. GT 750M SLI, nice matte 1080p screen with relatively good viewing angles, good sound quality, backlit keyboard for $1000

b. Other gaming laptops under $1000 like the Clevo W230ST / Sager NP7330 for its high performance and very good IPS screen
    The 750m sli is decent, though the 770m is still better. The GT70 with the i7 is a great computer and I don't see how you can say it is not good in terms of gaming performance(same processor as the Lenovo), unless you are referring to the one with the AMD.

Would rather go with the Sager to get the faster HDD and the system will have almost identical performance to the Lenovo.

Although....

After some snooping around I found this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312438

Intel Core i5 3230M(2.60GHz)
    6GB Memory 1TB HDD
    Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI
    1920 x 1080
    Windows 8
    $849.99

You don't really need a i7 for gaming after all.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

1. Nice catch with the Y500! Though the screen is a disadvantage compared to the Y510p. I agree about the I7, wish there were more I5 laptops (or more precise - that you could choose)

2. Yea, I talked about the GXs which have the AMD processor.

3. I wouldn't get a Sager just for the 7200RPM HDD. I would sell the Lenovo 1TB HDD or make it an external one and buy some SSD or an SSHD drive instead. I think it is more cost effective than getting a Sager.

4. The GT 750M SLI sometimes perform better than the 770M. The SLI has some disadvantages in some specific games, like NFS I think, or maybe Dirt - one of the Racers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice find on the y500 and the y510p, I hadn't come across either of those. I guess SLI would be the disadvantage to them, so it's a decision I'll have to make when that time comes between the GT70 2OC-065US or one of those. I appreciate the input so far!

If anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, throw them out! Couple days left before a decision is made.