Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The EVO uses TLC vs MLC of the M500. TLC is lower quality, and has a lower life expentency compared to MLC. The TLC will most likely last longer than you will use the SSD for, but the EVO has a buffer. This buffer consists of TLC memory, but Samsung tricks it into thinking it is SLC memory (the highest quality). And everything you put on the SSD will get on that buffer before it gets stored on the SSD. This is just a feeling I have, but this must have an effect on the life expentency of the drive.

The EVO is a good buy, but seeing as the m500 costs the same I would just go for the M500.
    Given that TLC has been given a 214 years life span writing 10 GB per day that's really the least of its worries. The EVO is actually definitely faster on reading and that is going to be seen in performance.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-08-27 at 03:53 PM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    The EVO is actually definitely faster on reading and that is going to be seen in performance.
    I doubt you will notice any gain in real world use, for gaming that is. Both will be fast enough.
    It is just an option Im giving compared to the EVO, which seems to be the hottest new SSD here on the forums I just think the m500 is a good option as well. And it has certain merits over the EVO, which for me make it the better buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I doubt you will notice any gain in real world use, for gaming that is. Both will be fast enough.
    It is just an option Im giving compared to the EVO, which seems to be the hottest new SSD here on the forums I just think the m500 is a good option as well. And it has certain merits over the EVO, which for me make it the better buy.
    Mind listing the merits? Because the lifespan one has proven to be quite wrong.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Mind listing the merits? Because the lifespan one has proven to be quite wrong.
    Actually not. I think I said somewhere here that the EVO will probably still last longer than the OP uses the drive for, however the m500 should last longer. Which in a way doesnt matter than.

Anyway, the merits how I see them. MLC memory and the powersafe capacitors. You might lose some performance, which I doubt you will even notice when you dont actively use the drives for reading/writing. And seeing as they both cost the same (I think I can get the m500 even a bit cheaper), makes the m500 a better buy for me.

Here's an updated price list on what I'm thinking:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.35 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($73.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($226.13 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($227.38 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($249.42 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1234.25
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-27 12:44 EDT-0400)

The memory you suggested Yurano are actually a shell shocker deal (at least for me) on Newegg later today, so I'll see how much I get to save there

What are your thoughts on that MoBo compared to the Z87-Pro. It's a bit more expensive but all the reviews are extremely good on Newegg, compared to a lot of low-medium reviews for the pro.

I think I'm going to stick with the Pro line of the SSD. I'm gonna be doing a lot of writing to the SSD, and if that RAPID feature is coming to it soon anyway I don't see much of a reason to skimp, since I'm under budget at the moment anyway.

Well change your cpu cooler to Nh-u14s, the nh-d14 is a lot larger but only performs a degree of 3 better..

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is a "Lot of writing to the SSD"? I still think it's a waste of money, but.. it's not my money, I guess. The Pro, in actual real world use, doesn't perform any better. Benchmark numbers are .. nice? But useless when you're talking about actually using the drive. $50 is a lot to spend on something that will have no real difference. SSD benchmarks aren't like CPU or GPU benchmarks where you can literally -see- a different in performance, where numbers really truly matter.

I've really said my part here, I guess. I just feel that money wasted on effectively marketing is still money wasted.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-08-27 at 05:53 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What exactly is a "Lot of writing to the SSD"? I still think it's a waste of money, but.. it's not my money, I guess. The Pro, in actual real world use, doesn't perform any better. Benchmark numbers are .. nice? But useless when you're talking about actually using the drive. $50 is a lot to spend on something that will have no real difference. SSD benchmarks aren't like CPU or GPU benchmarks where you can literally -see- a different in performance, where numbers really truly matter.

I've really said my part here, I guess. I just feel that money wasted on effectively marketing is still money wasted.
    Point taken, and I guess I'll go with the Evo.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the new MoBo I picked out? I'm curious how you think it compares to the Asus Z87-Pro mentioned previously.
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($226.13 @ Newegg)

Are you after some specific features on that instead of the Pro? Because otherwise the Pro is definitely going to be enough. Heck, even the A could be.

Are you after some specific features on that instead of the Pro? Because otherwise the Pro is definitely going to be enough. Heck, even the A could be.
    This is likely the last computer I get to purchase in quite some time. I'm just looking for the best of the best within my budget so I won't have to upgrade for as long as possible.

A motherboard can't provide more performance. It might allow for better overclocking on power-limited CPUs (which Haswell isn't, it's temp limited) or more expansion slots. However, every motherboard I mentioned has SLI support and likely more hard drives than you're gonna be using, so I'd switch to the Asus Z87-A. If you're concerned about sound, get a sound card. If you need wifi, get a PCIe wifi card. Both are gonna perform better than the onboard ones and the pricing is likely to be similar if not lower.
    I'd rather invest some of the leftover money into an H100i cooler instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm under the school of thought that any motherboard more than $150 is a waste, unless there's a very particular feature you're looking for. There really isn't 'better' outside of flashy looks, brand name, or extras that 9 out of 10 people won't use. They likely won't 'last' any longer either. The Z87-A is a popular go-to for quality/price. I have no reason to recommend anything more than that, and several to not recommend anything more expensive.

I know I sound like the kind of person who would cheap out, but a lot of people are sucked into marketing and 'features' when ....... they really don't make a difference.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

A motherboard can't provide more performance. It might allow for better overclocking on power-limited CPUs (which Haswell isn't, it's temp limited) or more expansion slots. However, every motherboard I mentioned has SLI support and likely more hard drives than you're gonna be using, so I'd switch to the Asus Z87-A. If you're concerned about sound, get a sound card. If you need wifi, get a PCIe wifi card. Both are gonna perform better than the onboard ones and the pricing is likely to be similar if not lower.
    I'd rather invest some of the leftover money into an H100i cooler instead.
    That makes a certain amount of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm under the school of thought that any motherboard more than $150 is a waste, unless there's a very particular feature you're looking for. There really isn't 'better' outside of flashy looks, brand name, or extras that 9 out of 10 people won't use. They likely won't 'last' any longer either. The Z87-A is a popular go-to for quality/price. I have no reason to recommend anything more than that, and several to not recommend anything more expensive.

I know I sound like the kind of person who would cheap out, but a lot of people are sucked into marketing and 'features' when ....... they really don't make a difference.
    Hmm. Thanks a TON for the advice!

And thanks to everyone else for the amazing help! It's helped me figure out what I want to get (for the most part )