10+ Year Old Account

GTX770 or HD7970 with XFX450

Hey there yet again, my build is in my sig. Just wondering for about a £300 budget, and currently using a 24" monitor but eventually wanting to get a 27" 1440p monitor, which card would I best be going for, and of which make? (IE Saphire, gigabyte etc)
    Also would my current PSU handle the upgrade or would I need to change that out first. If needing to change it out it would be done seperately from my budget, so the budget is for GPU only.

Will be playing gamed like BF3, BF4 and Final Fantasy A Realm reborn.

Thanks in advance.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Hey there yet again, my build is in my sig. Just wondering for about a £300 budget, and currently using a 24" monitor but eventually wanting to get a 27" 1440p monitor, which card would I best be going for, and of which make? (IE Saphire, gigabyte etc)
    Also would my current PSU handle the upgrade or would I need to change that out first. If needing to change it out it would be done seperately from my budget, so the budget is for GPU only.

Will be playing gamed like BF3, BF4 and Final Fantasy A Realm reborn.

Thanks in advance.
    First off. I would chose the GTX over the Radeon's mainly for the fact that the Nvidia cards drivers are so much easier to deal with, and out of all honesty the sapphire or the gigabyte brand are both pretty good so that's all up to you.

I would upgrade your PSU to a 600W just to be safe, both of the cards would use a bit more power than your current PSU can put out.

Deleted
    Your PSU can handle either GPU though you will need extra 6/8 pin power, assuming you have the model that came with one GPU power connector. If for whatever reason you'd need more power you can just get something more powerful later on. XFX Pro 550W is ~£50.

7970 and 770 trade blows pretty much. You do have the extra vRAM with the 7970 which could come in handy in some games with high res. texture (like Skyrim) and you get 3 free games which may or may not have any value to you. The Sapphire (non-reference) 7970GHz is pretty good and usually the cheapest, Gigabyte comes with a longer warranty and the cooling solution is quite good but you pay extra for it usually.

For the 770 I'd look for (non-reference) EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-08-27 at 10:46 AM.

I have a Gigabyte GTX 770 and it works like a charm.
    I am very pleased with the performance of the card.

I would never touch any Radeon cards again, mainly because last time i got one i got errors all over the card and i couldnt change it cause of their policy.

I had a GTX 570 before i got the 770 and i will never change from Nvidia again.

Edit: My power supply is 650

You really should upgrade your power supply if you're planning on using a gtx 770, otherwise it'll probably just shut off as soon as you plug it in and turn on your computer. If it doesn't shut down as soon as you turn it on, it'll shut down when you start playing. I wouldn't take my chances with 450W, you're better off upgrading your PSU anyway.

If you checked the site, it says the minimum requirement is 600w, it consumes 100-200W+ depending on what you're doing, get a quality 600W+ PSU first.

Oh, and I usually go with EVGA(Have a GTX 760), but I've read that the cooler on the MSI versions have lower temps than the one's with the ACX cooler, but you can do your own research on that and come to your own conclusions.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2013-08-27 at 11:18 AM.

Deleted
    Stress Testing the system at around 90% load will probably draw ~400W which anything you'll likely see in daily use/gaming. You're likely fine with your current PSU and like I said if you find out you're needing more you still have the option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well judging by this if I get the Sapphire 7970, the free games plus it being cheaper would help pay towards a 550+ PSU. Although the extra pounds towards a 770 is tempting I must admit. Always ran on Nvidia cards myself with no issues but never really heard anything bad from the Radeons except problems you get with any hardware on general bad luck.
    PSU upgrade would probably be sensible anyway then so I can push a bit more of an overclock.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.