Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    i think theres a difference between tolerating/accepting/encouraging someones right to worship and having a minaret blaring a presumably arabic call to prayer in a non arab country.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    i think theres a difference between tolerating/accepting/encouraging someones right to worship and having a minaret blaring a presumably arabic call to prayer in a non arab country.
    It says in that article that they already got permission to issue the call at a specific time of day. So...yeah.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is largely irrelevant to his crime though, the mosque seemingly has permission to have such a thing

10+ Year Old Account
    The Muslims in Europe make us all look like obnoxious d-bags. If you're an immigrant to a country, you shouldn't be in the business of actively trying to do everything possible to piss off said country, culturally or otherwise.

Deleted
    Minarets are retarded. They're fucking annoying and have no religious significance other than being used to call people to prayer from far away. It isn't an issue now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Oh look, someone intentionally causing a disturbance getting punished. Who would have thought?
    Yes its this easy
    He was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    The Muslims in Europe make us all look like obnoxious d-bags. If you're an immigrant to a country, you shouldn't be in the business of actively trying to do everything possible to piss off said country, culturally or otherwise.
    Very true. Just look at the pro-Muslim marches in Europe where Islamists say the country they moved to is full of sin and depravity, and that all the natives in those countries should accept the word of Allah or pay for their sins. It's ridiculous.

You move to a country that is tolerant of your religion and social practices, you should have the same courtesy to your surrogate country.

Deleted
    This law is not specifically aimed at religion. The law means "disturbance of ordinance" and apart from religious proceedings it also protect marriages, funerals, court procedures, political meetings and education and a few other things that I can't translate on top of my head.

That means that the same thing would have happened if he was doing the same outside of a school or a court, and this law is most often used against people disturbing discussions and votes in parliament.

Important to note is also that there is no chance is hell that this guy will get 6 months in prison for this. I would be willing to bet allot that there will be no prison sentence at all, and just a fairly small fine.

Edit:
    Just to note something interesting for the people blaming the minaret. The place where the mosque is built, together with the way the minaret is built is specifically made to cause as little disturbance as possible. The people building it worked closely with both police and community to make sure there would be no issues.
    In fact, they tested the thing several times before opening, and there were not a single complaint until Swedish news wrote about them getting permission for the minaret, and then the 10 or so complaints they did receive were all from people who neither lived nor worked in the area.

I don't know this as a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guy in this article don't live anywhere near the mosque either.
    Last edited by mmocad991e1826; 2013-08-28 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    Very true. Just look at the pro-Muslim marches in Europe where Islamists say the country they moved to is full of sin and depravity, and that all the natives in those countries should accept the word of Allah or pay for their sins. It's ridiculous.
    If everyone in Sweden is so honked off about stuff like this, which I'd say they'd be justified in being so, I'm driven to wonder why there aren't numerous counter-protests and mass support for candidates that would strike back against the apparently one-sided manner in which laws are carried out.

And the answer better not be some pussy shit like "because they'll think they're a racist!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If everyone in Sweden is so honked off about stuff like this
    Was that a pun? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Was that a pun? :P
    Not originally.

But it works! So... sure.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Minarets are retarded. They're fucking annoying and have no religious significance other than being used to call people to prayer from far away. It isn't an issue now.
    I've never seen one in public but they seem less obstructive then church bells. I appreciate church bells as long as they are on time and don't play at night. There should definitely be some sort of city council vote for such a thing though. If the majority of the town doesn't mind then whatever.

As for the charges, chances are he was honking in such a way to be deemed disruptive/harassing. No place for that in a civil society. Don't be a dick in public when people are minding their own business. That goes for any color, race, gender, sex or creed.

Meh it's Sweden, not surprised at all, if you live in sweden you'd better be a muslim lady, it's really the win-win combination

Deleted
    Are people actually upset that theres laws against disturbing these events on purpose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    And there were not a single complaint until Swedish news wrote about them getting permission for the minaret, and then the 10 or so complaints they did receive were all from people who neither lived nor worked in the area.

I don't know this as a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guy in this article don't live anywhere near the mosque either.

The area were the minaret is built at is mainly populated with muslims. Stockholm is really segregated. The further away you get from the city center, the less swedes / more muslims you find. I live near the minarets area (the minaret is in Fittja, and I live in Skärholmen) and I haven't heard any complaints about the minaret.

I wonder if the swedish police do anything when it's muslims breaking the law by driving through town honking their horns late at night after a muslim wedding?

No, actually I know the answer to that question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neufab View Post
    I wonder if the swedish police do anything when it's "insert any race/religion here" breaking the law by driving through town honking their horns late at night after a "insert any race/religion here" wedding?

No, actually I know the answer to that question.
    Fixed it for ya
    Last edited by mmoc99dd852bb1; 2013-08-28 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Malecesar View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    No you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Are people actually upset that theres laws against disturbing these events on purpose?
    I'm upset that there is a law that will deprive someone of 6 months of their life when possibly no one knows for sure if it was intentional or not.

[Edit]

Let's not even discuss the minaret's disruption on the people who live within a few miles of the mosque when it goes off EVERY DAY, but hey, so long as they can signal to the few dozen to a few hundred muslimes in the region that it's time for prayers, and disrupt the lives of thousands of others who AREN'T muslim, I guess it's all good right?
    Last edited by Ryuukon; 2013-08-28 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    I'm upset that there is a law that will deprive someone of 6 months of their life when possibly no one knows for sure if it was intentional or not.
    If he's at it long enough for the police to show up (or however the authorities found out about the incident), I'm pretty sure he'd have a hard time arguing that he wasn't doing it on purpose.