10+ Year Old Account

Fear or Comfort? Which Is The Greater Motivator?

In a political control sense?

As we all know many people consider fear to be one of the greatest way to control the masses. It is documented by several authors, the most clear being George Orwell's writings. Look no further than 9/11 hysteria, the Red Scare, lies in Arizona about Illegals cutting off peoples heads, and more. Fear makes people surrender there liberties willingly for their own security.

On the other hand,

Aldous Huxley had another take on this. I his writings, most notably Brave New World, it was comforts, sex, pleasure, lack of responsibility and worry that allowed for the people to be controlled. No one belonged to anyone, there were no paternal or maternal relationships, no relationships, no jealousy, and an openly sexual society. These people did not live in fear. They were under complete control because they saw it as progress. Heck *spoilers* The Worlds End by Simon Pegg does into this as well.

So which do you think is the greater political motivator, fear, or comfort?

Deleted
    I think that fear of discomfort is the greater political motivator.

Deleted
    A mixture of both is the best. Look at Hitler.

Deleted
    Comfort. Fear does not lead to a long term solution, although a mixture of both should be also right.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    A mixture of both is the best. Look at Hitler.
    seems to fit

imho there is a lot of overlap, but once you get to the more extremes of fear you run out of comfort that can compare as a motivator
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a nap, or be afraid of getting in trouble from my boss.

Nap. So the answer is comfort. G'night!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-