Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Whats the opinion of those outside the US on Syria?

Inside the US there is currently a huge push underway to attack Syria, our media is focusing primarily upon the fact that Assad ordered the use of chemical weapons. In reality the United States is doing this because our government is obsessed with controlling the world's energy pipelines. While the massacre occurring in Syria is horrific, we have sat by and watched millions slaughtered throughout Africa without bothering to get involved. We also ally ourselves with countries like Saudi Arabia, which is the worlds largest source of state sponsored terrorism.

Is the population of the United States being led by the nose into another military conflict in the middle east? I would wager that they are using an emotional argument to push their agenda.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I know that many establishment British politicians are arguing for intervention. However, the vast majority (over 70%) of Britons, as well as the UK Independence Party, are opposed to intervening in Syria. I'm not sure about the views of those outside of the United States and Britain on this though, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about normal people outside of the US, but the internet's opinion is going to be the opposite of whatever America does. Intervene? We're evil imperialists. Ignore it? We're heartless monsters.

When it comes to America, the interwebz like to have it's cake and hate it too.

I'd rather they just build a wall around the entire region and let them get on with it...if anything it would sooner put an end to this media circus and political bullshit. Nobody wants to hear about a cinder.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'd rather they just build a wall around the entire region and let them get on with it...if anything it would sooner put an end to this media circus and political bullshit. Nobody wants to hear about a cinder.
    But then we'd have 24/7 coverage of the wall being built, with endless debates about why the wall is evil, why it's the second coming of Jesus, why it's too expensive, why it's not enough, why god loves walls, why god hates walls, why the wall is step one in Obama's secret plan to force Islamo-communism on America...

And afterward you'd have news helicopters constantly flying inside of the wall to complain about how awful things are, and then making it out to be a huge tragedy whenever those helicopters get shot down by RPG fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    But then we'd have 24/7 coverage of the wall being built, with endless debates about why the wall is evil, why it's the second coming of Jesus, why it's too expensive, why it's not enough, why god loves walls, why god hates walls, why the wall is step one in Obama's secret plan to force Islamo-communism on America...

And afterward you'd have news helicopters constantly flying inside of the wall to complain about how awful things are, and then making it out to be a huge tragedy whenever those helicopters get shot down by RPG fire.
    At least it would be something new.

Deleted
    To be honest I'm not really sure what is actually happening in Syria, I know that Assad is a bad guy etc etc. But are the rebels really any better?

If I knew for a fact that the rebels are as innocent as the media claims then I'd be for intervention.

I agree... build a wall around the whole area and let them do as they please.

stop poking russia just fuckin
    stop having wars and interventions every 5 seconds
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    At least it would be something new.
    lol you say that now, but let's see if you're singing the same tune when TV is filled with nothing but clones of the History Channel's Wall Patrol (a show about the daily lives of wall guards and the many dangers they face on The Wall!)

I must admit I am American, but I agree with just about everything you say. However I do believe Shale Fracking is going to explode and we may be an exporter in the next few years. That on top of a more energy-conscious public who is letting Tesla stock go through the roof, I think we'll be ok. I just hope we don't start something over there until then :/

Deleted
    I'm not really familiar with what is happening there, except for what the media is telling. We have many refugees here in Bulgaria though and more are coming every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    lol you say that now, but let's see if you're singing the same tune when TV is filled with nothing but clones of the History Channel's Wall Patrol (a show about the daily lives of wall guards and the many dangers they face on The Wall!)
    I'd watch that. Sounds better than Pawn Stars.

Deleted
    I believe that its a lose-lose situation,whatever US and the International community does.They should have taken actions to stop the civil war regardless the recent chemical attacks.On the other hand the vast majority of the rebel forces are more or less muslim fundamentalists,with strong or less strong but still existing affiliation to Al-Qaeda.Lets not forget who was supporting Bin Laden in his war against the Soviet forces.The Syrian regime although totalitarian (like most regimes in the area) was never a religious fundamentalist one.

Long story short?The civil war there needs to end but I doubt that anything good will come out of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically its the Syrian Civil War. Unfortunately the US Media declines to frame it as such. Harder to sell commercial time that way. Richard Engel et al are just chomping at the bit to get a Pentagon embed when units start mobilizing.

Most people have the common sense not to touch "Civil War wherever". You'd see public support for US involvement drop even more. Instead the media is digging up all the pro-war Iraq people and bringing the band back together. "Surgical Strikes"... "2-month War" yada yada.

Deleted
    Well Isnt public support against intervention in the US as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Don't touch it Harper. Please."

Deleted
    Doesn't feel like there's much anyone can do. No matter who wins it'll end up badly for Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Arrows to green text View Post
    "Don't touch it Harper. Please."
    Since we're also a nation that ratified CWC, I'm actually disappointed we've already opted out of it. That said, we can't afford to contribute anything to the actions being suggested. Since the likely course of action is to missile strike chemical weapons facilities. Would also mean moving Halifax's to the Mediterranean and that's just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Well Isnt public support against intervention in the US as well?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3832395.html

It's more "meh" then anything. Even for me it's a "meh". I'm more concerned about it screwing up our brilliant realist policy in Syria. If we go, sure... let's just do it right. If we don't, no big deal, Syria still slow bleeds.

Most people care about the Labor Day holiday coming up this weekend. It's the end of Summer to Americans have mostly checked out of caring about much at the moment other than the long weekend.