Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I think we should all be paying more attention to what the one Japanese person in this thread has to say.

But consider this: In a place, ANY place, that is racially homogeneous (which Japan is not really; there's some discrimination against both the north and the south peoples (the Ryukyuan and Ainu specifically), as well as common discrimination against Koreans in Japan), you're going to get discrimination against anyone who's not part of the racial majority.

So... If you worry about racism in Japan, I think it's probably best to go to the North or South of Japan. Hokkaidou or Okinawa will probably be less racist. Of course, you won't be able to benefit from the many things the great cities have to offer... Unless you take day trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    When I was looking at going to Japan I was advised to find a local guide and that some establishments will only let tourists in if accompanied by a guide? Was this fiction or what?

That's the first time ever that I hear of Japanese establishments refusing foreigners. What kind of attraction/place was that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
    Dude, if you are not from Japan.. you will always be a Gaijin.. Outsider.. Never full accepted by society.

It has NOTHING to do with WW2.. please get over that. Japan's economic recovery and transformation into a global power was all down to help from America, creating a wealthy economy that you could trade with made sure a war would never happen again.

Plus our contemporary culture has been greatly shaped by the west, especially America. Have you ever been here before??

I think you may struggle here.. It seems all in your mind.
    I have been in Japan 6 times all combine around 3 years but to them I was considerd a tourist and I was, But know I am moving there to actually start a life, Dont act like I have never been their, I know the language flunetly and I know the culture I have a job set up and connections. I only worry about the ww2 thing cause its happend to me bfore in Japan this old man called me a ' Fat pig Bastard who ruined his great country by fighting the axis' I wasn't even born yet.