Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[WW] Design a raid cooldown

It's been a while since we had a thread simply dedicated to this kind of thing and I'd like to see some ideas. The dev team seems to think just buffing our healing straight out solves this problem or will lead to doing so but it's fairly obvious that even at +60% healing that Chi Wave won't save a raid in a clinch moment nor will it bring us above 2-3% raid healing with a decent healing comp.

So what would you add instead?

Format:

Chi Bomb
    3 minute cooldown
    3 second cast time (regardless of haste)
    Draw chi from all party or raid members within 40 yards and create a chi bomb above your head. After 3 seconds the bomb plummets to the ground 5 yards in front of you healing all allies within 45 yards for [X * number of charges from nearby allies] divided evenly among all targets and dealing [(X * number of charges from nearby allies)*0.5] damage all enemies within 40 yards divided evenly among all targets.

Intention is to essentially make a Chi Burst that hits all targets within a circular range like Tranquility. Assuming you're in a 10man raid and it was gaining 40k per charge, you'd output 400k heals in a AOE burst and do 200k damage to the boss. In a 25m if you managed to get everyone it would do 1,000,000 healing and 500k. This is small enough damage to make it not worth using on a single-target for damage and a significant waste to use on AOE as it divides by number of targets. Pre-casting this just before something you know will do tremendous damage is similar to hovering over your Revival hotkey.

i don't get it. why another healing cd? why not be different and do something other classes don't have? a raid wide teleport? all raidmembers will be teleported to the monk or something? why not a raid wide damage boost? boost the prime stat 20% for 20 secs. there are enough healing cds and dmg reduction cds. so there must be something different.
    13/13

Monk

Zen Meditation reduces damage taken by party and raid members within 8 yards by 20% while the channel persists. Remove Avert Harm from BrM, remove grounding totem fuctionality from Zen Meditation.

There, simple fix, while remaining unique in that it's like a Dispersion + Barrier and no one has anything quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    i don't get it. why another healing cd? why not be different and do something other classes don't have? a raid wide teleport? all raidmembers will be teleported to the monk or something? why not a raid wide damage boost? boost the prime stat 20% for 20 secs. there are enough healing cds and dmg reduction cds. so there must be something different.
    We're a DPS spec of a class with a healing spec. We're expected to offheal. Even Retribution Paladins are expected to pop Lay on Hands on demand. Not to mention the spell is also a damage one if you didn't notice.

That said, Boosting a primary stat by a certain percentage is insanely strong if it's more than 10%, damage boost you'll have to be specific about and being teleported to the Monk is a raid-wiping button if used incorrectly (say, a troll in LFR).

If offhealing is that bad to you, I've always been fond to a counterpart to Bloodlust: a +20% crit chance raid buff that lasts 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Zen Meditation reduces damage taken by party and raid members within 8 yards by 20% while the channel persists. Remove Avert Harm from BrM, remove grounding totem functionality from Zen Meditation.

There, simple fix, while remaining unique in that it's like a Dispersion + Barrier and no one has anything quite like that.
    That's one of my favorite simple suggestions I like to bring up now and again. AH + ZM aways seemed more like a DPS' raid CD than a Tank's. Can you imagine how much easier it would be to find WWs in heroic progression logs if they had the ability to soak things like Dark Animus' Interrupting Jolt?
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2013-08-30 at 09:17 AM. Reason: edit: comment on the AH+ZM combo

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    That's one of my favorite simple suggestions I like to bring up now and again. AH + ZM aways seemed more like a DPS' raid CD than a Tank's.
    The sad part is that it makes more sense than tacking a 20% damage reduction onto Smokebomb...

I think that AH should be a WW CD too, that + ToK will be good.

Btw on the topic of other raid CDs, this on WW/MW plz: Invoke Chi-Ji, the Red Crane
    Invokes the Red Crane Celestial, summoning an effigy at the command of the caster. While active, Chi-Ji will increase the mastery of all party and raid members by 20% for 45 sec.
    Maybe adjusting levels like, 5k flat mastery or something and 5/10 min of debuff like BL/Heroism.
    Last edited by Taquito; 2013-08-30 at 02:30 PM.

Chi Bubble- for lack of a better name

Draws chi from the environment to generate a 'bubble' (or some ground effect, or some unique indicator) in the targeted location. The area of effect, and direct effects, will grow/enhance over time, until it reaches a plateau. 1-10sec growing, 10-15 sec max effect. Spending chi makes it grow faster. (1chi=2sec less growing). Reduces damage taken by 5-10%, in addition to:

WW: improves crit chance by 5-10% growing, 10% max effect.
    BRM: improves mastery by 2500-5000, 5000 (or an amount similar to crit chance %) max effect.
    MW: generates an absorb shield on healed targets within the bubble for 10-15% of the healed amount.

I only say this because it isn't an immediate maximum output, and has a short ramp up time, as apposed to something like war banner which provides instant burst, or any other cooldown. Because of this, its effect could be a bit more powerful than comparable cooldown at maximum, or its total duration could be a bit longer. It has a base component, and gains an additional effect based on the spec (brm should be something tank related, too lazy to think of something proper). Perhaps even a unique spec-dependent visual, like lightning for ww (because of xuen I guess), swirling green for mw, or...brew rain for brm...I don't know. Raid cooldown for all specs, as they all lack a defining raid cooldown, a controllable one, one that benefits the entire raid, one that isn't a last resort button (like revival).

Quote Originally Posted by Taquito View Post
    I think that AH should be a WW CD too, that + ToK will be good.
    Avert Harm is a terrible idea, it was already in the game in the form of Divine Sacrifice in Wrath for Paladins, and it was removed from the game because in 25 mans there was never a good time to use it without a bubble. Why they brought the same stupid idea back I'm not sure, it didn't work then and it doesn't work now because of the Zen Meditation cap. To see it extended to WW as a form of "utility" would just make me laugh.

Aggressive Defense: For the next 15 seconds, dealing damage applies a protective shield to friendly targets within 20 yards, absorbing an amount equal to 20% of damage dealt while active. The effect stacks up to 50% of the targets max health. 3min CD.

Zen Shell: Applies a shield to all targets equal to 30% of their maximum health for the next 6 seconds. After 6 seconds, all damage prevented will be applied to the targets that dealt it over the next 6 seconds. 3min CD. (AoE ToK)
    Last edited by The Monarch; 2013-08-30 at 05:39 PM.

Ability name: The Will to DPS
    Ability description: Windwalker ability only and grants the ability to produce competitive DPS.

<3
    Ddos
    Last edited by Ddos; 2013-08-30 at 05:54 PM.

Deleted
    "Spirits of Gods
    5 min cooldown

While this ability is active - using 'Storm, Earth and Fire' will turn your summoned spirit into a chi-blossom. The chi-blossom will heal you and your allies for 3% of your total hp every second for 7 seconds while standing inside a 35 yards radius of the chi-blossom. However, for every second the radius decreases by an amount of 5 yards until the chi-blossom explodes and heal everyone in a 5 yards radius for the total amount of previously received healing."

It would be both rewarding and forgiving. In pvp it wouldn't be OP since you can make it so the "chi-blossom" can be destroyed by the other player. The visual feedback would be unique since the area in which it heals get smaller.

Having a ability that changes SEF to a raid cd would make sense. In this case it turns your next spirit into a healing totem that could either follow the player or stay put. Or maybe both spirits get to turn into each one? Or maybe different ones - one healing and one dmg/cc?

Oh the possibilties of turning SEF into something cool every 5/10 min...
    Last edited by mmoccfe93d0670; 2013-08-31 at 06:33 AM.

Statue of the tiger
    Creates a statue of the tiger that causes all healing done by the raid to cause damage to a target. 5 min cd

I honestly just think they need to redesign Zen Meditation. Remove the channel and the 90% damage reduction, and instead have it be a healing increase (say, 30% of all healing done within 20 yards). That way it scales in power with the number of healers. Additionally it fits the whole Windwalker heal-theme and feels different than other class offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Hurt View Post
    I honestly just think they need to redesign Zen Meditation. Remove the channel and the 90% damage reduction, and instead have it be a healing increase (say, 30% of all healing done within 20 yards). That way it scales in power with the number of healers. Additionally it fits the whole Windwalker heal-theme and feels different than other class offerings.
    I really like the current iteration of ZM...

If we were to have a raid CD, it would probably be something with the Xuen statue. I was thinking it could give us all Tiger Lightning like Xuen casts when we summon him, but that would be to close to Stormlash totem. Maybe something like reduces the GCD for everyone by like .5 seconds while its up. Would fit with the whole "agile" Xuen theme.
    Last edited by Vongimi; 2013-08-31 at 06:39 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Revitalizing mists:
    5 sec channeled
    Calls the Mists of Pandaria( yeah xpac names) to heal all party/raid members within 30 yards for x each second. When the channel is finished the mist is expelled increasing all healing received by 20% and healing the lowest 3 targets heals by 20% over 5 seconds.
    3 minutes CD

replaces revival.

Deleted
    Summon Red Crane Statue - Summons a Red Crane Statue at the target location. Lasts for 10 seconds. Every second, the Statue will cast a Zen Sphere at a friendly target.

Summon Statue of Xuen: Temporarily increases the mastery value of the raid by x amount (flat 3k?) for 10-15 seconds. 3 minute cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    Summon Red Crane Statue - Summons a Red Crane Statue at the target location. Lasts for 10 seconds. Every second, the Statue will cast a Zen Sphere at a friendly target.
    I actually really like this one. It technically gives you burst damage and access to a blanket HoT that's only effective if you're in a group so it has very little effect on arenas and the range would make random BGs barely be effected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddos View Post
    Ability name: The Will to DPS
    Ability description: Windwalker ability only and grants the ability to produce competitive DPS.
    Sounds like a Mage, Warlock, DK, Warrior, Hunter or Rogue raid cooldown, to me. DPS is nice, but DPS doesn't give you any utility that'll get you picked over any of those classes if they're still higher DPS than your class. Ya know, because they're not a hybrid class that's got access to party healing and, with the exception of Shamans, those aren't suppose to be the top DPS in any group.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2013-09-01 at 10:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    One with nature:

2min CD, Instant, 6sec duration

The monk absorbs the Chi in the area and reaching a heightned state. In this state the monk senses every single movement in a wide circle and gain incredible reflexes, speed and strenght. The monk dashes around in a Xyard circle softening the blows with XX% that his/her allies are recieving.

Empowered Chi
    2min CD, Instant

The monk centers all his/her chi and empowers his/her next chi ability. If the monk has Chi burst all the targets hit will gain a shield equal to XX% of the total healing. Chiwave healing bounces will AoE heal. Zen sphere will explode into small Zen spheres on the targets hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Empowered Chi
    2min CD, Instant

The monk centers all his/her chi and empowers his/her next chi ability. If the monk has Chi burst all the targets hit will gain a shield equal to XX% of the total healing. Chiwave healing bounces will AoE heal. Zen sphere will explode into small Zen spheres on the targets hit.
    That's actually the best idea I've ever heard.