Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Time for 1 more boss... Durumu or Megaera?

Hi Everyone,

My raid team is going to have time for one more boss, and I’m not sure which direction to go. We raid for 9 hours a week, and want to make sure we still clear the instance next week. We’re currently 8/13H, and have Durumu, Megaera, Animus, and Lei Shen to go. Obviously Animus and Lei Shen are out of the equation with only 1 week to go, but I’m debating between Megaera and Durumu.

My raid comp:
    Prot Pala
    Monk Tank (can go WW)
    Holy Pala
    MW Monk
    Ele Shammy (can go resto)
    S.Priest
    Frost DK
    Enh Shammy
    Feral Druid
    Balance Druid

I’m leaning towards Durumu, mostly because up until now on N Megaera, we’ve never killed the blue head. Positioning and execution of the frost beam could take some time, and that is something we don’t have a lot of. Add the arcane adds and some funky tanking (planning on 1 tank + add tank), and I could see this taking more time than I’m prepared to put into it. On the other hand, Durumu has additions to normal mode, but in essence it’s pretty much the same fight. We should be able to Grounding Totem the additional eye, and we can 1 Tank / 2 Heal it for the increased DPS. Add to that the gear we’re in now, and I don’t see the boss taking more than a dozen pulls at worst.

Am I missing something on Durumu? Is there some hidden difficult mechanic that I’m not seeing? If you were in my shoes, do you go to Durumu or Megaera?

Durumu, clearly. Especially seeing you killed primordius, you should have the DPS to kill him before second color phase

Ele shaman can demolish walls, and boomkin/spriest are also not bad at it.

Deleted
    We killed Megaera after two evenings of trys (about 30 pulls). You are missing a warlock in your group so the ice debuff is more of a hustle for you, but you have a monk tank, which is def an advantage. Here is a video which points out the various tactics for the fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SJRUZpaq9QM

If you get people to position properly for the ice debuff and handle the worms, then Meg is not that hard. Critical phase is the second red head where you use blood lust. We only reached the seventh head once and finished it off easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my guilds experience Meg was easier than Durumu. So long as everyone is on point about using their CD's it goes pretty smoothly. Think 2 nights was all it took. If you can Kill Prim you definitely have the DPS to get heads down fast enough that it should be fairly easy.

PLUS if you down Meg you'll still have time to do some attempts with Durumu

Deleted
    Honestly try both, work on magaera first until you kill -> work on dumuru until he's dead or raid ends. I doubt killing the other bosses for gear is worth more than a new heroic kill pre-5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Durumu, clearly. Especially seeing you killed primordius, you should have the DPS to kill him before second color phase

Ele shaman can demolish walls, and boomkin/spriest are also not bad at it.
    NEVER EVER! We are currently also progressing this boss and you need VERY good DPS to kill him before the second color phase. I assume they have the same ilvl as our raid group, because we recently killed megaera and are progressing on Durumu atm. We have an ilvl of about 540. I must say that we didn't have the optimal setup, but it's very unlikely that you kill the boss before the second color phase if you don't have an raid ilvl of 546+.

I personally would recommend you try Durumu anyway. The Adds and the damage on Megaera are really like hell on earth + you don't have a warlock to make the frost beams easier. Durumu doesn't require a specific class + you have an ele shammy which is really a big help on this boss. At least for our raid group durumu is easier then Megaera. The only reason we didn't kill it yet is that some people didn't show up to the raid and we had to use a suboptimal setup.

If you can't just ignore second colorblind phase and finish off the boss (<10% HP left) you are either managing lifedrains wrong or your DPS is below horrible. With 9/13 heroics down DPS is not horrible, or at least shouldn't be.

How many stacks of life drain are you getting? 3 stacks heal durumu for 5M/sec, 4 for ~8M/sec and 5 for ~12M/sec. It only goes up from there.

That's a VERY big part of the boss, on progress we had some trys with 600M+ of damage on durumu and still wiped at ~40%

15+ Year Old Account
    Since you have a boomkin meg should be easier than durumu.

With the gear you currently have Durumu is probably easier to handle than Megaera (BRABRGA). However if people are consistently bad at the maze phase (requiring the range path to not die) then I would go with Megaera as it's more a healing check and since you have Primordius down you should be fine.

Durumu, you even have 2 shammies for grounding totems.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do both. With 3 healers, you'll probably destroy megaera very quickly, just stack your raid cds for the last 3 rampages, it's a substantially easier boss than you think.

Megaera is a joke at this point, but anyone can still wipe to Durumu from people fucking up on beams, I guess in 10 man its a lot less chance at wiping to stupid shit and megaera seems to have alot more space in the room on 10 man.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Well there you have it OP, all bosses are faceroll now. If you can't kill them all you clearly suck!

I'm joking before people take offense.

I'd go for Durumu. I think its easier than meg to be honest.

Go for Megaera, you're probably getting her down in one or two nights and should have leftover time to attempt Durumu as well.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Durumu. Megaera is hassle without a warlock, while an elemental shaman/balance druid are great for quickly downing Durumu's ice walls.

Humm though question... I'd say for us they were of both difficulty with Megaera being a bigger tank/heal check and and Durumu more of a mechanics derp check. I'd pick whatever you feel you'd be stronger (tank/heals or mechanics).

In terms of tips:

Megaera: 1 tank 3 heal and have a good healing rotation for every stacking phase. Use all you got, boomies innervates and off heals, everything. Timing on heads will be key to keep tank alive, google "1 tanking megaera" and you'll find good tips. There's absolutely no reason to have a second tank on adds, they don't melee hard at all, their hardest part is their casting which needs to be interrupted. Use ur monks silence bubble, double solar beam from symb on shammy, etc.

Durumu: 1 tank 2 heal, have you ele shammy destroy the walls (tell him to save CDs to walls instead of at pull) and have you boomie go HotW heals at the 2nd colorblind phase. He can pop tranq when health is dropping then toss rejuvs on everyone. The name of the game is survive the 2nd colorblind phase (at least for us), after that was easy. Also helped to have groups of ppl assigned to certain beam colors (with backup replacements) and have your group rotate so on the second beam they are getting a different debuff stack rather than increasing the same. But its mostly a mechanics fight with the beams, timing on shammy totems and enough dps the right walls (ppl need to focus the one at spaws at the beam first). Oh yeah, in the end don't have anyone with more than 3 stacks of that healing stunning beam. I'd have to say this fight is harder than Megaera, but once you nail down the mechanics its easier to execute.

I feel the 1 tank strategy on megaera has a way too high learning curve, and isn't exactly needed with today's gear levels.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Durumu definitly. We 1 tanked and 2 healed it, got him down just before 3rd color phase. After durumu we went for animus and is currently working on lei shen. I'm pretty sure everyone in our team can agree that Durumu was ALOT easier than Megaera.

We also did durumu with a 60k dps mage, he was a shitgeared alt of one of the tanks, 1 tanking was simply easier so it was worth it having that 60k dps for us.

Durumu without a doubt. Megaera is the most frustrating boss in there, with so many bullshit rng wipes

You only have to deal with life drain and beam soaking assignments on Durumu, those are the 2 sources of wipes.

Surprisingly, I found Megaera was easier when 2 healed.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    Durumu definitly. We 1 tanked and 2 healed it, got him down just before 3rd color phase. After durumu we went for animus and is currently working on lei shen. I'm pretty sure everyone in our team can agree that Durumu was ALOT easier than Megaera.

We also did durumu with a 60k dps mage, he was a shitgeared alt of one of the tanks, 1 tanking was simply easier so it was worth it having that 60k dps for us.
    A second tank would have done more than 60k dps, just saying :P