Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Started in BC myself, and like Venziir said, nostalgia overwhelming. Everything was shiny and new and busy.

The gear designs were at their zenith too IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look another TBC nostaliga thread...yawn. Wake up and smell the humus, most of the people that actively played TBC aren't in the game anymore or don't bother posting here. Half the people starting "why TBC was better" or "why TBC was worse" threads never actually played it when it was current and are either flamebaiting or trolling.

And since I never commented on the issue before (as a Vanilla - current raider): TBC was highly controversial at the time it was out due to the many "sci-fi" elements and lore additions. The raids were excellent in comparison to most Vanilla content, not so much compared to later works, as is to be expected by progressing iterations of one system. People claiming that the raids in TBC were best are either baiting or have no clue. Some might legit just say it because they just loved that atmosphere and they have fond memories. That's fine. In terms of actual raiding quality (mechanics, design, accessability, difficulty), later tiers crushed it.

Short answer - nostalgia and/or trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, quest gear sucked, but there is a reason people use BC more than anything as transmog gear.

BC had the best progression model to date. Best dailies. You actually played out in the world.

Almost everyone I know from BC is long gone by now....

Lack of 10m raid option is only real killer for BC.
    I like sandwiches

I had some of the most memorable times of WoW in BC.

Because TBC was the first expansion, it had tons of lore! freaking kael'thas, lady vashj, Magtheridon, Illidan, Medivh and it goes on and on...
    Also its the best looking expansion imo, coolest zones, arena got introduced.
    Also it has the best looking transmog gear for sure.

Also all my friends played there, and people were friendly, people were generally more social and helpful.

Also all raids was fun to raid, its not like now were a new raid comes and you will never have the need to enter the old raids.

TBC was the best expansion for me and the irl/friends i know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Started in BC myself, and like Venziir said, nostalgia overwhelming. Everything was shiny and new and busy.

The gear designs were at their zenith too IMO.
    to be honest, as much as i hated cata, cata had the best gear designs for me, tbc had a few good sets too.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    It was incredibly fun.

Graphics haven't been a compelling reason for or against anything in wow for years.

On topic, because TBC was amazingly immersive and more importantly, fun.

It was the first expansion and had little standards to live up to like today's expansions do.

It was also fun.

Because it was ballin' as all hell.

There's a clear progression path through a wealth of content
    Dungeons and zones are visually interesting (except you underbog nobody likes you)
    Content isn't trivially easy and takes some actual effort to chew through
    Endgame questing was Actually A Thing, and there's always that one questline that you need to get out of your log
    The community hadn't quite begun its decline into toxicity
    The lore wasn't completely nonsensical and was rooted in good lore
    Most of the classes consistently get good tier armor with some of the best/most iconic sets appearing in TBC
    The graphics weren't insanely outdated

This is off the top of my head I'm sure I can think of more if I think really hard.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

It looked awesome.

I still mog into this set.

TBC was when I first really got into raiding. Kara and ZA runs every week, sometimes on two tunes (the hunter pictured and a resto druid). I also got into arena. So I do have a lot of fond memories of TBC.

I like people linking clown suits to argue that TBC had bad gear, when in fact, it most definitely had some of the best gear in all of WoW's history. Fuck, you could even get the purple judgment copy from questing/dungeons. The questing shit these days look like rusted pieces of tin with flat greens and grays. Also, don't argue good looking gear was just soooooo hard to get, you could get it from battlegrounds and arenas. Same skins (as tier pieces), different color, and in many cases the glad sets had cooler color combinations. It seems to me 40% of the people knocking TBC didn't actually play and are using subjective arguments to validate their opinion, 40% are being nostalgic using good times they had as validation, and 20% that did play and know that there have been many quality of life improvements since then but still believe some things were just right. At least, this is an opinion.

I think badges > valor points. I think having a piece of gear for any slot from those badges > select few of pieces (believe me, my paladin for all of ToT did not get a single shield in regular/heroic, QQ). I think having arena gear being on par or close to PvE gear > being shit (and vice versa, flame me PvPers). I think tokens for PvP gear keeps everybody in check (shit, you still did something for it, too), allowing for low parity. I think many other things as well that were just right in TBC, but I also understand that someone could come in that played TBC and feel differently.

Tomato tomahto.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2013-08-30 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Because TBC was the first expansion, it had tons of lore! freaking kael'thas, lady vashj, Magtheridon, Illidan, Medivh and it goes on and on....
    nobody who likes bc cares about lore. the lore in bc was fucking awful and anyone who knew anything about the lore beforehand knows it was a damn tragedy
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Man this thread is gold.

Comedy gold that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    i still think the matched-item sets (especially recolors of vanilla sets) from TBC are the best looking in the game,

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Oh look another TBC nostaliga thread...yawn. Wake up and smell the humus, most of the people that actively played TBC aren't in the game anymore or don't bother posting here. Half the people starting "why TBC was better" or "why TBC was worse" threads never actually played it when it was current and are either flamebaiting or trolling.

And since I never commented on the issue before (as a Vanilla - current raider): TBC was highly controversial at the time it was out due to the many "sci-fi" elements and lore additions. The raids were excellent in comparison to most Vanilla content, not so much compared to later works, as is to be expected by progressing iterations of one system. People claiming that the raids in TBC were best are either baiting or have no clue. Some might legit just say it because they just loved that atmosphere and they have fond memories. That's fine. In terms of actual raiding quality (mechanics, design, accessability, difficulty), later tiers crushed it.

Short answer - nostalgia and/or trolling.
    Ye else you were just one of thoose guys that were bad in TBC.
    Personally i find that the TBC raiding system was FAR BETTER THEN ANYTHING since then.

I mean doesnt it annoy you people dont have to run dungeons or old raids?...
    Fuck man, all the people i know loved the way TBC was setup...
    For me it sounds like you just want a easy acces dumbed down game with little to no commitment.

Raiding since wotlk have been utterly shit, exept start of cata and firelands (ragnaros, rest was trash).
    Rest is just trash, its easy it aint hard, and wow gets boring so very very fast.

MoP and cata have just been trash expansions...
    Alot doesnt feel that way, but all the veterans i talk to. Feels like me.

Only raids to "crush" tbc raids imho was Ulduar. Best raid in wow.

Also im so sick of this rose tinted googles and nostalgia, WHO is to say wich is better.
    Imo d2 is better then d3. IM SURE ALOT FEELS OTHERWISE.
    But that doesnt change the fact that 25 million played d2 and probably most prefers that system over d3.
    Last edited by Johnkie; 2013-08-30 at 02:11 PM.

I found the TBC attunement system a complete ball ache. Any guild doing progression raiding had to recruit new members quite a lot and it was a chore having to ensure new members were attuned to your raids.

I enjoyed it at the time but I could not go back to it. Like Vanilla and wrath I have fond memories of TBC but its best left like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    I mean doesnt it annoy you people dont have to run dungeons or old raids?...
    Fuck man, all the people i know loved the way TBC was setup...
    For me it sounds like you just want a easy acces dumbed down game with little to no commitment.
    I think most people would rather be participating in the cool-looking new raid than be told "Sorry, this isn't for you yet" and get sent to the previous raid.

Deleted
    Every zone had a seperate amazing feel to it (well, Blade Edge has an empty feeling but even then..)

-Back then: Ding max level ==>5m Dungeons ==> 5m Heroics ==> 10m Raids ==> 25m Raids T4 ==> 25m Choice of tier progression depending on how good your guild is.

-Now: Ding max level ==> queue up for 1 week (I'l give it 3 weeks max) ==> tada seen all content there is to see

For me TBC had the best content and concepts, but as a fanboy of tbc even I can see that in Wotlk the flexibility was at it's best to allow players to raid in wathever kind of group they wanted and at what pace to wanted to clear things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I think most people would rather be participating in the cool-looking new raid than be told "Sorry, this isn't for you yet" and get sent to the previous raid.
    Because the game allowes it. If people can be lazy mofos then they will be. Just as if they game allowes people to be douchebags then people will be.

If tommorow the law said you could skip school and get the same diploma as someone who did 6 years extra...then you better believe close to nobody will go to school. Just because something is there doesn't make it a good concept.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-08-30 at 02:10 PM.

Because it was amazing?

Most of all, what got me was hard and rewarding content.. not spoonfed to players like it is now.

In a bulletlist, i'd say :

- Hard heroics.
    - Hard and rewarding raiding content, with intro stuff (Karazhan - 10man), and varied and fun tiers (Karazhan+Gruul, SSC+TK+MAG, Hyjal+BT, Sunwell).
    - Amazing storylines and attunements (Hand of A'dal)
    - Fun world pvp on the Isle of Quel'Danas (or whatever its name was)
    - Players had 'reputations' on realms, and were accountable for their actions. No bullpoop anonymity like nowadays.
    - Unique flavour to classes before this mass uniformization
    - Oh, windfury totem was still amazing!
    - DRUMS!
    - Best tier designs on most classes (T6)
    - Bulwark of Azzinoth.
    - Glaives.
    - Kael'Thas encounter. Awesome.

geez, why even argue.

For me, TBC is\was\probably will always be, the best expansion in WoW, nothing came even close to it.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2013-08-30 at 02:14 PM.