Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Living alone for the first time - In a new city

So I've recently moved out, it's been right about a week. I'm going to study web development in a completely new city, school starts monday.

I have a problem though, it's so boring. Anyway, I've been doing literally nothing, throwing out trash, shopping for groceries when needed and either read or been stuck in front of the computer. It's pretty much what I did before moving, but I feel I should be doing other stuff because too much computer eventually gets boring, and I've hit that point.

So as a guy who's spent the last 5 years in front of the computer, with virtually no friends or activities outside the computer, what is there to do even?

Deleted
    Study, I do find it funny that a guy that is bored of computers is studying web development though. If you get REALLY bored, see what clubs your university offers, you may see something that you never thought of before.

Deleted
    I guess you can meet some new friends at school. It can be hard to start socializing in a new place.

Well if you are gonna attend Uni there will be plenty of chances to get involved in student life and make new friends.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of clubs and organizations you can join where you can meet new people. Your classes can of course be a good source depending on the school, but there are also meetup groups, or joining a rock climbing club, or intramural sports, or any number of other things. Choose an activity or group and dive in, and you'll meet all sorts of people.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Random Uni women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joining a club is good advice. If you are going to a uni or college then you should find out that there are plenty of cool clubs to join to meet people of like mind. If you aren't then maybe join a church group that does dodgeball, kickball, hockey, basketball, etc tournaments. Join a gym or club that has free weights and even stuff like yoga.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Get a dog, find a dog park, meet a wide variety of people.

Deleted
    Start weight lifting, having a strong body compliments a strong mind.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    More computer
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Study, I do find it funny that a guy that is bored of computers is studying web development though. If you get REALLY bored, see what clubs your university offers, you may see something that you never thought of before.
    Well, it's more like I'm bored of constantly being on the computer. I want to like mix it up a bit maybe.
    I didn't even know there were clubs, I've heard other countries have them but I don't know if Sweden does.

I've thought about going to the gym, but it's kind of like, I'm too weak to go to the gym. I don't know, something like that. Right now I'm just doing some excercises at home every now and then. Going from barely ever lifting anything heavier than a computer mouse to a full on gym schedule might not work out so great I'm thinking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Well, it's more like I'm bored of constantly being on the computer. I want to like mix it up a bit maybe.
    I didn't even know there were clubs, I've heard other countries have them but I don't know if Sweden does.

I've thought about going to the gym, but it's kind of like, I'm too weak to go to the gym.
    I don't know, something like that. Right now I'm just doing some excercises at home every now and then. Going from barely ever lifting anything heavier than a computer mouse to a full on gym schedule might not work out so great I'm thinking.
    It is your mind that is weak, not your body, I can give you a good beginners routine if you seriously want to give it a go.

I would say first off your going to meet a lot of new people when classes start. Trust me. Try to get into a study group if you can.

What are your interests outside of computers. Look online or at the school to see if there are any clubs/groups you can join. Sports is a great way to meet new people. You don't have to good at it. Go for the fun/people. Clubs/Bars are another good way to meet people.

It is your mind that is weak, not your body, I can give you a good beginners routine if you seriously want to give it a go.
    That's probably true enough. Throw me the routine and I'll give it a shot.

The Mind Is Willing, But The Flesh Is Spongy And Bruised ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    That's probably true enough. Throw me the routine and I'll give it a shot.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

This will build up a base strength you can work on, after 6 months to a year you can move onto a more advanced routine, do this routine properly and you can double or even triple your strength in a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The Mind Is Willing, But The Flesh Is Spongy And Bruised ...
    We had snu snu.

Deleted
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'm too introverted to go to any club or anything. I haven't moved in yet (I will this Sunday) but I'm also thinking about what to do.

What city have you moved to, btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    My only answer is, go meet people. Don't be afraid to talk to them. To this end:

Figure out what you enjoy doing. We know you like computers and gaming. (Since you're here.) Perhaps your Uni has clubs / groups dedicated to that. What else do you like to do? Figure out what you enjoy, and go do it.

And above all else, make friends! You're not alone, there are a lot of other people that are brand new at your Uni, looking for people to hang out with. Strike up a conversation. Something as simple as sitting in class before it starts, ask the person to your right where they're from. Viola' start of a great friendship.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'm too introverted to go to any club or anything. I haven't moved in yet (I will this Sunday) but I'm also thinking about what to do.

What city have you moved to, btw?
    Well yeah, I don't drink alcohol or anything so going clubbing is out of the question aswell. I moved to Blekinge.

I'll check the training routine out, thanks RICH8472.

10+ Year Old Account
    This video is right up your alley man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhuh76KYSg . Check it out and see what you think. Don't let the beginning 30 seconds or so detract from their advice. They do it for entertainment. Probably the best advice you can hear as a lifting noob.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality