Poll: Should We Invade Syria And Intervene In The Wholesale Massacring Of Civilians?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Should We Invade Syria And Intervene In The Wholesale Massacres Of A Brutal Tyrant?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility towards every form of tyranny over the mind of man".

-Thomas Jefferson

As someone in ROTC specializing in CBRN medicine (medical school currently), I am eagerly hoping that President Obama gives the order to intervene in this humanitarian crisis so that the corrupt Assad regime that has ruled Syria for the past 42 years can be put to an end. There have already been countless evidence of the Assad regime deploying weapons such as napalm and sarin gas against its civilian populace, so the case for intervention in the minds of those of good conscience has already been abundantly made. Assad must be stopped or the world risks walking another dark chapter in the annals of human history, one of the likes of the Rwandan Genocide in the 90s.

Despite being a proud American, I do not buy into the concept of nationalism wholly. I think it only exists to relieve those of weak neurological fortitude the responsibility of preventing atrocities from occurring.

Do you think the U.S. should intervene, regardless of a (useless) UN mandate? If not, then how do you justify standing by idly while little kids burn to death at the hands of the government's napalm strikes in their playgrounds? Is it because they live far away, that they have a different language, color of skin, religion, culture, nationality, what? Why is that acceptable? It's certainly not acceptable to me, and it seems it's not acceptable to President Obama either.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/30/syria-bbc - recent atrocity.

Yo, the sun don't shine forever, but as long as it's here, then we might as well shine together. Better now than never, business before pleasure. You know that I'm two levels above you baby, and BIG you know you too hard for these cats. I'mma win cause I'm too smart for these cats. While they makin' up facts, (uhh) you rakin' up plaques.
    Last edited by AssimilateTruthx; 2013-08-30 at 11:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AssimilateTruthx View Post
    "I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility towards every form of tyranny over the mind of man".

-Thomas Jefferson

As someone in ROTC specializing in CBRN medicine (medical school currently), I am eagerly hoping that President Obama gives the order to intervene in this humanitarian crisis so that the corrupt Assad regime that has ruled Syria for the past 42 years can be put to an end. There have already been countless evidence of the Assad regime deploying weapons such as napalm and sarin gas against its civilian populace, so the case for intervention in the minds of those of good conscience has already been abundantly made. Assad must be stopped or the world risks walking another dark chapter in the annals of human history, one of the likes of the Rwandan Genocide in the 90s.

Despite being a proud American, I do not buy into the concept of nationalism wholly. I think it only exists to relieve those of weak neurological fortitude the responsibility of preventing atrocities from occurring.

Do you think the U.S. should intervene, regardless of a (useless) UN mandate? If not, then how do you justify standing by idly while little kids burn to death at the hands of the government's napalm strikes in their playgrounds? Is it because they live far away, that they have a different language, color of skin, religion, culture, nationality, what? Why is that acceptable? It's certainly not acceptable to me, and it seems it's not acceptable to President Obama either.
    So you are a cadet? Lets see how bloodthirsty you are in ten years time.

Deleted
    Syria isn't as clear cut as people think. We're condemning a regime for actions we don't even know they've committed and likely never will. Let's not forget that the rebels are every bit as guilty as the person they condemn, worse in many cases.

So no, we most certainly should not effect regime change for them and replace a nutjob secular regime with a nutjob fundamentalist regime with open ties with terrorists that people seem to forget are our sworn enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    So you are a cadet? Lets see how bloodthirsty you are in ten years time.
    All medical residents start as O-3, which is a Captain, and become O-4s, which is a Major, upon completing their residencies. I'll probably be starting as an O-3, but it's all variable on what circumstances I activate my commission upon since I'm in the reserve.

And how am I at all blood thirsty? If anything, I'm tired of bloodthirsty, power-hungry monsters like the Assad regime wreaking havoc on innocent people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Syria isn't as clear cut as people think. We're condemning a regime for actions we don't even know they've committed and likely never will. Let's not forget that the rebels are every bit as guilty as the person they condemn, worse in many cases.

So no, we most certainly should not effect regime change for them and replace a nutjob secular regime with a nutjob fundamentalist regime with open ties with terrorists that people seem to forget are our sworn enemies.
    This is why the only policy (the one that the US isn't taking) that should be implemented is total disarmament of not only the Asaad forces, but also the rebels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't find the rebels to be any less bloodthristy or brutal than Assad, and I don't believe that democracy is any less likely to spring forth from them than the tyrants in power. We'd be lucky if they worst they did was a Morsi, at least in Egypt's case the military actually gives a damn about the people and the state of the country.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

And how am I at all blood thirsty? If anything, I'm tired of bloodthirsty, power-hungry monsters like the Assad regime wreaking havoc on innocent people.
    Are you also tired of the rebels doing the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Honestly I'm tired of the US being 'World Police' it's not like the US gets tax money from the world to cover these costs. But hey if the world pays us, then sure go for it.

However if we do, then lets not do a half step, go in kick ass, and leave.

All medical residents start as O-3, which is a Captain, and become O-4s, which is a Major, upon completing their residencies. I'll probably be starting as an O-3, but it's all variable on what circumstances I activate my commission upon since I'm in the reserve.

Except you can't prove it was Assad who used the weapons, neither can the UN, or anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Honestly I'm tired of the US being 'World Police' it's not like the US gets tax money from the world to cover these costs. But hey if the world pays us, then sure go for it.

But who's ass needs kicking? Both sides of the conflict are tyrannical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no, a 1000 times no we should not invade. That is the worst thing we could possibly do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

It's very likely that Saudi Arabia will not only pay for the oil required to execute this operation, but the gulf states in general may also compensate us. I can't recall the source right now, but I recall hearing this repeatedly.

But, yes, let's go in with everything we have and liberate the country in a single fell swoop rather than just half-heartedly attacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Except you can't prove it was Assad who used the weapons, neither can the UN, or anyone else.
    Regardless of the chemical weapons, there's another story out:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/30/syria-bbc

Assad is the only one in the conflict who has the ability to use napalm. Those kids burned to death by his hand.

Also, we have the NRO's spy satellites monitoring Syria at all times. I trust their judgement more than any sham UN investigation.

Deleted
    It's very likely that Saudi Arabia will not only pay for the oil required to execute this operation, but the gulf states in general may also compensate us. I can't recall the source right now, but I recall hearing this repeatedly.

But, yes, let's go in with everything we have and liberate the country in a single fell swoop rather than just half-heartedly attacking.
    You have yet to ever bother addressing the fact that the rebels are equally tyrannical to that of the Asaad forces.

- - - Updated - - -

Assad is the only one in the conflict who has the ability to use napalm. Those kids burned to death by his hand.

Also, we have the NRO's spy satellites monitoring Syria at all times. I trust their judgement more than any sham UN investigation.
    Are those the same satellites that found those "WMD's" in Iraq?

My husband is in Bahrain right now. My dad fought in Desert Storm. I had friends and a few family members over in Iraq, one did 3 tours. Everyone in my family is sick of the middle east and thinks we should just pull out. I agree. So a big hell no to Syria.

No, I don't think we should go to Syria. We aren't the world police force. The Middle East needs to solve it's own issues, we can't swoop in (swooping is bad!) and save the world from itself. That's not our job.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    You have yet to ever bother addressing the fact that the rebels are equally tyrannical to that of the Asaad forces.

- - - Updated - - -

Are those the same satellites that found those "WMD's" in Iraq?
    Probably because I have addressed that in the past multiple times and I grow tired of dismantling the same conjecture fifty times. Not all rebels are a like at all, only a faction of them are as brutal and murderous as the Assad regime. The faction of the rebels that we would support and endorse, the FSA, are completely secular, forward-thinking, not murderous or brutal, and are the best possibility for Syria's future. We only support the FSA, no other rebels.

- - - Updated - - -

Right..... Like when OUR goverment said Iraq had Nukes, and the UN said, they didn't? Sheep to the flock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Technically, you can't prove that no one can prove who launched the attack.

No, nope and hell no! If it isn't an attack against US territory then stay out of it. Learn from history people. (Let's cut the military budget by 75% while we are at it. It doesn't cost much to defend our land and stay out of other countries.)

the syrian people gave the answer to this in the very beginning: no, stay the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

But, yes, let's go in with everything we have and liberate the country in a single fell swoop rather than just half-heartedly attacking
    You can't do that. There are several factions to this conflict. It isn't just one bad side versus one good side. Some of the rebel factions are in bed with Al Qaeda.