Thread: Mini ITX Build

Mini ITX Build

So I've decided that my next build is going to be mini ITX. I know I'm not exactly an amateur on these forums, but I wanted some input nonetheless. My main concern is in the case and how easy it is to work in / swap parts and choice in cooling. I'm also open to mini ITX motherboard options, but this Gigabyte model seems to be one (if not the only) mini ITX Z87 board available.

Now, I want a closed loop cooler for the CPU. Air is out of the question for me due to the case size. I already have a 4770k on the way, and I'm also going to use my existing SSDs, RAM and GPU. Going to wait until 8xxx gets around to releasing before deciding on whether or not I'll upgrade. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Any thoughts on better coolers, boards or cases? I'm totally open to suggestions in the case department, the Prodigy is just the only thing that I've ever heard real praise about.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as Z87 mini ITX boards there are more options then the Gigabyte. I believe every board maker now has a mini ITX z87 out. Check out this link for the list on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=Mini%20ITX

I know I had read previously the Asrock board was spoken highly of as well as a ton of reviews should be out on the new ASUS Impact board too.

For cases I believe the Fractal Node 304 has been a previous favorite for mini itx builds as well as some of the Silverstone cases. I was looking at the Node myself when I was going to go the mini itx route.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    One thing you have to be really careful of is the actual amount of space allowed for a PSU. There are some that are actually a bit shorter that will fit in an ITX case, some will not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

15+ Year Old Account
    The Prodigy is probably the "biggest ITX case". It's actually so big as to tower over some of the smaller µATX cases. Besides that, it also has good accessibility, so working in it should not be a problem at all.

PSU:
    A lot of ITX cases can fit normal-sized psu's, but you have to be mindful about the length.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKIsrwS3fX4 (skip to ~2:30). The psus he is using are
    - BeQuiet Straight Power 500W (non modular)
    - BeQuiet Straight Power 580W (semi modular)
    - Corsair AX750 (fully modular)
    All of them have a length of 160mm (= 6.3 inches), the same as the Seasonic G 650W. But as you can see in the video, when he pushes the modular psus in, there is quite some resistance (-> bent connectors). So if you are uncomfortable with that, go for either a non-modular 160mm psu or a modular 150mm psu.

MB:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/mother...24&f=8,17&c=89
    All of them are fine. Pick what you want. If you want good sound, then you should consider the Asus Maximus, as it is the only one with something better than your average Realtek chip. And because you do not have any way to put a sound card into an ITX motherboard, this can be a crucial decision (unless you want to go with an USB sound card).

Cooler:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/c...zxt-compared/5
    The H80i is fine. If you want to save a little bit, go with the H55. Performance is not much worse than the H80i, but ~$35 cheaper.
    You might also want to consider the Kraken X40. Price and performance are similar, with the Kraken X40 a little bit ahead.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

I have a Prodigy. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

It has a lot of expand-ability and very basic cable management. It's a $60 case. I wouldn't pay more than that in the US. I also have the windowed side panel.