Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    That's funny because I don't know of a single person who has left the game because of the difficulty of gearing alts etc. Are they playing less alts now compared to earlier? Yes, of course they are, so am I. But they are still playing the game with their main.

  2. #42
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This is interesting. So, these tokens (the BoA ones) are basically very common, which means I could potentially get alts geared in 576/589/whatever the hell ilvl it is, within a day?
    570-580? Dream on. 496.

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    What sort of gear level would be appropriate to be taking on the mobs over there (assuming the lower-geared but average-skilled player who'll play more defensively or evasively regarding mob abilities)?
    Ironically for a realistic kill rate, about 496. Of course it's doable in blues, but you would be killing things very slowly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    The maximum ilvl you can realistically get without stepping into Normal or Heroic raids is ~533. As you can imagine, the average LFR raider who's been in TOT since release will be around 510-513. With that in mind, working your way up the 'guild ladder' from a guild barely breaking through normal to one farming heroic is gonna take some time, but it's really one of the only ways to push forwards. Unfortunately, this is a 'game society' issue, one that's been created by the community.
    Realistically to get into a pug run that does not have a high probability of failing, you'll want to expect 520+ gear at minimum from people. Keep in mind ease of gearing over time not only means more casuals staying, more gearing, and more pug runs, it actually further increases pugs.

    Let's face it. Some bosses may be too challenging for an average pug group, but at least having more accessible gear (read: more 520+ geared players) around means that you can at least outgear the early bosses pretty reliably. That makes for better pugging, to this day now I refuse to join pugs because of the high probability I spend 3-4 hours just to kill Jin'rokh.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That's funny because I don't know of a single person who has left the game because of the difficulty of gearing alts etc. Are they playing less alts now compared to earlier? Yes, of course they are, so am I. But they are still playing the game with their main.
    As I mentioned many times, less alts in the playerbase also means less things for non-raiders and non-Heroic raiders to do on their main. Most raiding mains, N or H, will not contribute shit to the trade groups/etc. due to this thing called "lockout," so players in guilds (even 2/12 normal guilds) will only be able to contribute, realistically, on alts. Erase the alts, erase the pug/alt runs.

  3. #43
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Hell, fifteen quid spent would see me on the couch.
    If you don't have £15 to spend on something other than necessities maybe you shouldn't be playing wow to begin with, since in that case the £10 you spend on subscription each month is probably needed elsewhere.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    As I mentioned many times, less alts in the playerbase also means less things for non-raiders and non-Heroic raiders to do on their main. Most raiding mains, N or H, will not contribute shit to the trade groups/etc. due to this thing called "lockout," so players in guilds (even 2/12 normal guilds) will only be able to contribute, realistically, on alts. Erase the alts, erase the pug/alt runs.
    I think most people who are in a raiding guild will raid with their alts in a guild group, that's at least how everyone I know does it. So their alts didn't contribute to the pugs anyway.

  4. #44
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If you don't have £15 to spend on something other than necessities maybe you shouldn't be playing wow to begin with, since in that case the £10 you spend on subscription each month is probably needed elsewhere.
    Example 2 of Toxic Playerbase: Again, despite your even higher horse, I still believe that person knows their financial situations better than you do, and what they can and can't afford... better than you do.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Sad because these alt friendly changes really had to be here about oh.... 6 months ago... but better late than never I guess. Hope they can get back at least some of the numerous subs/player-base they lost.
    they're called alts for a reason
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  6. #46
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I think most people who are in a raiding guild will raid with their alts in a guild group, that's at least how everyone I know does it. So their alts didn't contribute to the pugs anyway.
    True for many H guilds (and even then people, assuming alt friendliness, would have multiple alts in that case allowing them to raid outside guild groups). Not so true for many N guilds.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If you don't have £15 to spend on something other than necessities maybe you shouldn't be playing wow to begin with, since in that case the £10 you spend on subscription each month is probably needed elsewhere.
    Please, come to Glasgow and take charge of all my finances. Sounds like you are a real pro.
    Or maybe, as it stands, my subscription falls within the parameters of the amount of money I budget myself for personal use per month. See, that's a thing us people with families do with our money -budgeting. It's not a matter of that money being "probably needed elsewhere", I've got plenty of money in the bank for a rainy day, it's because the grease which keeps my family's finances ticking along isn't whether I can afford things but if they fall within the purviews of our budget.
    So, like I say, I have the money but fifteen quid spent on something like a single character transfer will raise questions with the missus. Some people's lifes have more complications than yours, just deal with that fact instead of dispensing your useless financial advice.

  8. #48
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Example 2 of Toxic Playerbase: Again, despite your even higher horse, I still believe that person knows their financial situations better than you do, and what they can and can't afford... better than you do.
    If what he says is true then my post is a pretty sound financial advice. Spending £10 on a wow subscription might not be in his or his family's best interest if he doesn't have an extra £15 to pay for a one time transfer-fee.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Or maybe, as it stands, my subscription falls within the parameters of the amount of money I budget myself for personal use per month.
    So why don't you just take a break from wow for a month and pay for a transfer when you get back? I mean if you don't enjoy playing on a dead realm isn't it better to just take a break and transfer to a high pop realm next month?

  9. #49
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,965
    On the topic of timeless isle droprates, how fast do the coins drop for the legendery/ heavenly mount?

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If what he says is true then my post is a pretty sound financial advice. Spending £10 on a wow subscription might not be in his or his family's best interest if he doesn't have an extra £15 to pay for a one time transfer-fee.

    - - - Updated - - -


    So why don't you just take a break from wow for a month and pay for a transfer when you get back? I mean if you don't enjoy playing on a dead realm isn't it better to just take a break and transfer to a high pop realm next month?
    You obviously couldn't give out sound financial advice if your life counted on it. It's obvious you don't know the difference between value and worth (hint; worth is personal). Someone saying that something isn't worth the money doesn't mean they don't have the money; they can just think of better things to do with it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If what he says is true then my post is a pretty sound financial advice. Spending £10 on a wow subscription might not be in his or his family's best interest if he doesn't have an extra £15 to pay for a one time transfer-fee.

    - - - Updated - - -


    So why don't you just take a break from wow for a month and pay for a transfer when you get back? I mean if you don't enjoy playing on a dead realm isn't it better to just take a break and transfer to a high pop realm next month?
    I have. Thanks for more useless advice.

  11. #51
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    But your able to pay for the subscription?
    For now. There's no guarantee it'll continue.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    If he's that strapped for cash maybe he should save his 15 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    You don't have ~€20 to spend on whatever you want each month? Seriously? I spent a lot more than that on crap each month when I was a full time student without side job.
    Why should I spend more than a full month's worth of play when 5.4 will probably solve the low-pop realm problems I'm annoyed with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

  12. #52
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Why should I spend more than a full month's worth of play when 5.4 will probably solve the low-pop realm problems I'm annoyed with?
    It's up to you if you want to spend it or not. I just questioned your statement about not having enough money to pay for it.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    For now. There's no guarantee it'll continue.

    - - - Updated - - -





    Why should I spend more than a full month's worth of play when 5.4 will probably solve the low-pop realm problems I'm annoyed with?
    It's like "Connected Realms" isn't happening or that Blizzard havn't acknowledged both the problem of low pop realms and their responsibility with some people. They would much rather rather tell us how value our own money.

  14. #54
    I still find it funny how people are suggesting "transfer" as a solution.

    Yes the server population is ABSOLUTELY Blizzards responsibility, how in the hell is it anyone elses??

    Capping server populations on the popular realms would mean that this exodus of players from semi dead realms to the 3 or 4 still over populated (which has been going on for YEARS now) wouldn't have happened and who knows maybe more realms than just 2-3 per region would be capable of all this "easy pugging" you're lording over others.

    When I bought this game I was SUGGESTED the realm Hellfire as one for new players. New players aren't going to KNOW about the concepts of "server population" and the effect that will have on your game, they are new. And to basically say "bad luck you were pointed in the direction of a realm that didn't survive, pay hundreds of pounds on top of your sub so you can get the same gaming experience I get just for paying my sub" is just being a dick head. Don't be a dick head.

    Blizzard could have adressed the issue years ago, and this issue really is YEARS old now, by merging some of the dead or faction imbalanced realms, but they preferred to milk the transfer fee instead.

    All this makes little difference to me, sure recruiting for my 25 man raiding guilkd has been tougher, and more recruits have come from off-realm in the last couple of years. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna pretend like being on a dead realm is anyones fault other than Blizzard. And telling people to pay extra money to fix a problem that shouldn't be theirs to fix is just being a dick. Dont be a dick.
    While Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."

  15. #55
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yes the server population is ABSOLUTELY Blizzards responsibility, how in the hell is it anyone elses??
    It's not their responsibility because they didn't create the population imbalance. It's not Blizzards fault that people wants to play on certain realms because certain guilds happen to play on those servers. That was what created the imbalance to begin with. Fanboys migrated/rerolled on the servers the top guilds played on because they wanted to stand in OG/IF and admire their heroes.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    If you don't have £15 to spend on something other than necessities maybe you shouldn't be playing wow to begin with, since in that case the £10 you spend on subscription each month is probably needed elsewhere.
    I'm curious, what age are you?
    Video Game Blog - Now with 100% less World of Warcraft!

  17. #57
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    I'm curious, what age are you?
    I'm 29, soon to be 30.

  18. #58
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    640
    Some of my characters are on a server that use to boom with life. There's absolutely nothing left; while it's not my fault, those that maintain the servers are accounted for. Telling me that I need to transfer those characters is a pathetic answer. Why should I have to give something to someone, so it fixes the current problem, that I have no control over? The problem should have been fixed when it first came up.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    It's not their responsibility because they didn't create the population imbalance. It's not Blizzards fault that people wants to play on certain realms because certain guilds happen to play on those servers. That was what created the imbalance to begin with. Fanboys migrated/rerolled on the servers the top guilds played on because they wanted to stand in OG/IF and admire their heroes.
    No. It happened because Blizzard opened up a ton of unneeded servers during TBC. Not as many people give a shit about raiding guilds as you assume.

  20. #60
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    No. It happened because Blizzard opened up a ton of unneeded servers during TBC. Not as many people give a shit about raiding guilds as you assume.
    Apparently they do since those servers saw a crazy increase in player numbers even before you could transfer characters. People were actually willing to reroll just to get close to their idols.

    And about new servers that opened up when TBC launched, people were begging blizzard to open fresh servers all the time during vanilla. Not to mention that Blizzard never forced anyone to roll a character on those new servers.
    Last edited by zephid; 2013-08-31 at 02:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •