Thread: Wireless router

Deleted

Wireless router

Hello,

I'm looking for a Wireless router for my new apartment (50m2). I'm not really sure what to look for in a router so I'm hoping that some of you guys can guide me a little.
    As far as I can tell the port for the router is located in the distribution board which is in a closet in the bathroom, if it helps I read in the papers that it's a "PDS plug". I will be using the router mainly for my laptop/phone, because I'm hoping I will be able to use Ethernet cables for my desktop/future ps4.

I've found these three, the two first are pretty cheap, the third one a little more expensive, but again I don't know how much I need to pay for a reliable/fast router.

http://www.bj-trading.dk/bjshop/defa...=pricr&psn=220
    http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/7...aign=EDBpriser
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/router/links...d-5345832.aspx

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mmoc91a8dbad84; 2013-08-31 at 02:34 PM.

The 2500s alright - we use em at work, there pretty stable. Supports DDwrt too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    The 2500s alright - we use em at work, there pretty stable. Supports DDwrt too.
    Not sure what DDwrt means?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    it's an aftermarket firmware for off the shelf consumer routers

I recommend you try the ASUS router, like ASUS RT-N66U, it's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    It's one of the best custom firmware' out there which can be installed on supported routers:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Deleted
    Doesn't your ISP provide you with a wireless router?...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Not if he is living at a dorm(kollegie). There is only a socket (RJ45)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by diariea View Post
    Not if he is living at a dorm(kollegie). There is only a socket (RJ45)
    Read OP... 50sqm appartment =/= dorm.

10+ Year Old Account
    here in the US, they are not required to provide you with anything other than an active line, they "provide" a modem and router so they can charge you to rent them

If they do, they are usually crap.

I would also say look at ASUS routers. They are awesome. The RT-N66U is amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about Danish ISPs, but in my experience, including working for the local phone company as phone support, the routers/gateways provided by the ISP tend to be of inferior quality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    If they do, they are usually crap.

I would also say look at ASUS routers. They are awesome. The RT-N66U is amazing
    I actually just bought this, and it is quite nice. The web setup UI alone is fantastic, really easy to use and navigate. And having an interference free 5ghz band is nice - my phone picks up easily over 10 2.4ghz signals in the area from the surrounding homes but not a single other 5ghz.

But it is pricey.

Don't ever go with ISP modems or routers IMO, they charge rental fees and you will easily save money by buying your own in as little as a year or two, depending on what you buy. Time Warner even charges money to enable wireless service (mind = blown when I discovered this) on their provided combined modem+router box. Not to mention it was an incredible hassle to configure it when they tried to force it on me, claiming my old modem was causing "noise" in the surrounding neighborhood's network connections.

I've been dealing with intermittent connections over 2 weeks or so with it just now having been resolved so I've developed a number of conspiracy theories towards them...

But I've gotten off track. Anyway, since it seems like you didn't really specify a budget, I'd also recommend looking into the ASUS routers. They probably have slightly cheaper models than the rt-n66u.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter