Unhappy I am worried about the Parangon level compiling when Reaper of Soul is out

Hello,

I am just a little bit more than a casual player of Diablo 3, but certainly not a "hardcore gamer".

I understand everything that is good about the future new Parangon system. I can play the class I want anytime without loosing progress and enjoy various playstyle with my friends.

But I have this friend who is an extra-terrestrial, I think he his among the best Monk in Europe (gearscore talking, if there is anything like that). Playing with him is not that fun, because in MP10 elites are alive for 10 to 15 seconds and normal monsters are desintegrated, I almost cannot touch them.
    This man has 525k DpS, and is now chain leveling Monks. 5 days ago, he created one, today it is Parangon level 78.
    He plays more Monks because it's easy for him since he has incredible equipment and great knowledge of the game.
    His aim is, if I follow his train of thought, to have as much Parangon level 100 as possible when the expansion hits the store, so that all this experience is compiled.
    This is madness.

We had a quick discussion, and my point was that I wasn't quite sure it would be as simple as that. It's not quite like Blizzard to blow the lifespan of a game by allowing player to stack before the game actually comes out. I'm quite sure that one of their aim, when there is an add-on, is to a little reset of everything.

As a "little more than a casual player", I'm not quite concerned by high endgaming in Diablo 3. I mean, I do play in MP10 quite efficiently, but I am a squishy ant compared to people juggling with billions and billions in the AH and having 400k+ DpS.
    I've been a casual player of this game because I felt "overwhelmed" by its economy and its AH, the race to weaponry, to farm more, to have more chance of good stuff, to farm more, et cetera.
    What is it going to be when the expansion comes, some people won't even be Parangon 100 already and some other Parangon 800?

I've already wrote a lot and think I globally made my point.
    I keep in mind that casual player are not 100% affected by hardcore gamers, who mostly only compete with each other. But even though, I have a little worrying feeling.

Neurotically yours,

Psychokwak.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not mention something: the fun of not having wiped the lifespan of a game BEFORE it is actually out.

Deleted
    Are you sure they will compile the XP? Because if 60-70 would require the same amount of xp as paragon level 100 it would be a riddicolously long grind. My guess would rather be that you get a FoS or the paragon levels stay with you. but they add another few paragon levels.

Not to sure, but when i read it, i presumed that the xp will scale past 100 for paragon lvl, so if 100 paragon = 100xp, but to reach 200 in RoS, you need 350xp, meaning you need 3 lvl 100 paragons and a lvl 50 to get to 200.

But it allows you to level paragon while on another character.

I assume Paragon XP will continue to scale past 100. And while Blizzard did say that the new system will take your account's total XP and compile it into one great big huge Paragon level, the system still isn't finalized either.

That said, they were pretty clear that they wanted to simply remove the level cap for Paragon levels, so stacking a bunch before the xpac lands isn't really blowing the lifespan of the game, imo.

As you say yourself, it doesn't really have any effect on the way you play the game anyways, so how does it have any effect on the game's lifespan for you?

I think most softcore players will want to have all 5 classes at Paragon 100 when the Expansion strikes ... just to be sure they won't miss anything.

That's why you see more activity these days (more groups being formed).

No one wants to miss anything by lack of Paragon levels.

I wonder if the advantage will be this huge though.

Blizzard would do well not to give huge advantages to old players.

Deleted
    The paragon level XP requirement doesn't scale linearly. If he has 20 paragon 100s when RoS comes out, he might get from paragon 100 to paragon 130. We don't know, at all, how much experience the levels from 60 to 70 require, how much the paragon levels from 101 up require, and how much experience the monsters at level 70, on inferno MP 10 give.

The thing is, he won't have paragon levels to use until he's 70. So, a 70(100) going to 70(101) will be doing so at the level 70 experience levels. They might be lightyears ahead of level 60.

Also, if he wants to level a full stable of paragon 100s, let him. Whatever he gets in RoS, he deserves.

You're worrying over nothing. The people at Blizzard have thought of these things, regardless of what the naysayers might think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The paragon level XP requirement doesn't scale linearly. If he has 20 paragon 100s when RoS comes out, he might get from paragon 100 to paragon 130. We don't know, at all, how much experience the levels from 60 to 70 require, how much the paragon levels from 101 up require, and how much experience the monsters at level 70, on inferno MP 10 give.

The thing is, he won't have paragon levels to use until he's 70. So, a 70(100) going to 70(101) will be doing so at the level 70 experience levels. They might be lightyears ahead of level 60.

Also, if he wants to level a full stable of paragon 100s, let him. Whatever he gets in RoS, he deserves.

You're worrying over nothing. The people at Blizzard have thought of these things, regardless of what the naysayers might think.
    /claps This. Here's the thing. Its your game. " I am worried about missing out " Your not missing out anything. It's a game. You should play by your rules and not others. Paragon 2.0 does not bother me at all. I am a super casual player my paragon level 100 barbs got 310k DPS/801 EHP. I still play on him even today. Not going to kill myself leveling alts I don't want for an unknown reward. There will be plenty of time to drive in and " Catch up " once the game comes out.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

I think it's a waste of time. 10 x 100 paragon levels will end up like 150 paragon 2.0, while I am pretty sure that in RoS 70lvl heroes with much better gear than today, will earn xp much faster, it's also possible that Blizz may expand MP levels up to 15 or 20 total.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-08-31 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryttge View Post
    Are you sure they will compile the XP? Because if 60-70 would require the same amount of xp as paragon level 100 it would be a riddicolously long grind. My guess would rather be that you get a FoS or the paragon levels stay with you. but they add another few paragon levels.
    Wait you mean people would have to grind thier levels like they did in diablo 2 and maby only a fraction of the playerbase would reach max level? THE HORROR.

Well, two things here.

a) farming paragon now is certainly valuable - when patch comes (no need to wait for RoS depending on release dates obviously) all the paragon XP made will be summed up to get your new account-wide paragon level. For sure it's a good head-start, but i assume paragon levels will be counted only for active characters - if you make a lvl 100p and then delete that, the farmed XP is lost.

b) xp will continue to scale up and the conversion won't be a simple 2 lvl 100 = new lvl 200 paragon. Just as reference, if the XP curve stays like it is now, 10 level 100 paragon characters will grant a whooping level 171 on the new system. yes, there's no cap, but you will reach the point that gaining a new level will take an awful lot of time. There won't be maximum level anymore, but this rewards people that actually invest a lot of time playing the game OR playing the AH.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Wait you mean people would have to grind thier levels like they did in diablo 2 and maby only a fraction of the playerbase would reach max level? THE HORROR.
    They are removing the max paragon lvl in RoS.

If you wanna farm until Paragon 100000, you can do that (although, I guess it would take a lifetime).
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    I am a super casual player my paragon level 100 barbs got 310k DPS/801 EHP. I still play on him even today.
    that delusion.

The "casuals" are people with not even lvl20 paragon and no inferno clear.
    Look back and see how the majority didnt even clear inferno.

People who worry about missing out fail to understand how much behind the major playerbase is.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    that delusion.

People who worry about missing out fail to understand how much behind the major playerbase is.
    This is truth. I never cleared Inferno, the game wasn't interesting enough to keep me playing. If I buy RoS, I won't have a single paragon level going in. I think this is the situation for the vast majority of those who bought D3.

Paragon levels were a needed addition for dedicated people who farmed a lot and needed a long term-goal apart item farming to keep interested.

Now Paragon 2.0, while retaining the advantages for people who played a lot until now, is sure something more appealing for casuals too, because of the stat allocating system which is definitely more interesting than a bunch of HP and bonus MF you get now leveling as Paragon.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    that delusion.

There's a big difference between a casual player and a player who doesn't play. A casual player can achieve great things even if they don't play as much as a hardcore one.

For example I'm In a quite casual raiding guild that raids 2 days a week for 3hours each. The guild used to be raiding more days but decided to reduce the size because when people grow up they tend to have less time for games.

We've cleared 10/13hc sofar in ToT with just these 2days a week and we've got Animus down to 18% (it will probably be down by tomorrow).

What you're talking about is a player that doesn't even play the game. I'm Paragon level 4 in Diablo and I can't even call myself a diablo gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    But you're ignoring the fact that the two games are constructed differently. Hitting the max level in D2 pretty much meant you were the king of everything and you win. Hitting the max in D3? "Welcome to the real game."

So yeah, it would be a horror...or no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Hitting the max level in D2 pretty much meant you were the king of everything and you win. Hitting the max in D3? "Welcome to the real game."
    Getting to 99 in D2 was a big deal only if you were in contention for the first to do so when a ladder season started, or if you were playing HC, then one people who got there and stayed alive. However, if you were late for the ladder, then getting to 99 was nothing but yet another level, and "welcome to the next 27000 Meph, Pindle, Cow, Baal, Pit runs."

Max level in D2 was nothing memorable. Sure, it took a bit longer in the beginning, but I remember following one ladder during patch 1.08 or 1.09 (LoD patches), and 99 was hit in a couple days.

Play to have fun.

You only have around 3500 weeks to live. It would be rather stupid to devote them to reach Paragon level 8000 in a video game.

Play with fixed goals instead.

To me that's downing Diablo in Inferno hardcore with all classes: THE END is a nice goal for a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Play to have fun.

You only have around 3500 weeks to live.
    damn, that makes it feel so little.