It never ceases to amaze me how foreigners travel to the US, knowing the tipping custom, fake ignorance and do not tip. Congrats. You just tied up someones table for an hour and left them to make 2.25 or whatever it is an hour.

If you do not want to tip, DO NOT EAT OUT. Or go to McDonalds.

What kills me most is the sheer hypocrisy of the idiots not tipping. They complain about how the employees are paid low wages so to show them they fuck over the same employee with no tip.

Let's make something clear!! Some servers are still in school, and working in the restaurant business full time to pay for college. Some of us weren't born with a silver spoon! You put your pants on just like everyone else you self center ass

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how foreigners travel to the US, knowing the tipping custom, fake ignorance and do not tip. Congrats. You just tied up someones table for an hour and left them to make 2.25 or whatever it is an hour.

If you do not want to tip, DO NOT EAT OUT. Or go to McDonalds.

What kills me most is the sheer hypocrisy of the idiots not tipping. They complain about how the employees are paid low wages so to show them they fuck over the same employee with no tip.
    Or... they just don't care. Why would they give their money to a stranger if they have the option to not do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Could never see why tips have become expectations.

Serve me well=tip.

No serve me well=no tip for you.
    This. It doesn't matter where i go this is the way i act/feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Or... they just don't care. Why would they give their money to a stranger if they have the option to not do it?
    I hope these same foreigners aren't the same ones who complain about Americans in their countries then. If they can't be bothered to think about others when in America, they're owed the same back in their corner of the world.

I'll tip when in the US standard because I don't want to cause a commotion, but the system is ridiculous and broken. If I could be bothered to I wouldn't support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Then they do not need to fucking go out. Eat at McDonalds. Tipping is not an option unless the service was bad.

Bunch of tightwad motherfuckers too damn cheap to follow custom. If you dont want to tip, stay the fuck home. It doesnt give you the right to shit all over someone barely making a living.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2014-01-16 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I hope these same foreigners aren't the same ones who complain about Americans in their countries then. If they can't be bothered to think about others when in America, they're owed the same back in their corner of the world.
    Problem is not that people don't tip, but that the waiters need the tip. Here in Denmark you only tip in fancy restaurants, and you never, ever give the pizza delivery guy anything. They are getting payed 20$+ an hour anyway.

Then they do not need to fucking go out. Eat at McDonalds. Tipping is not an option unless the service was bad.

Bunch of tightwad motherfuckers too damn cheap to follow custom. If you dont want to tip, stay the fuck home. It doesnt give you the right to shit all over someone barely making a living.
    The only places I have ever tried to tip were really fancy restaurants and sometimes when we eat out while on holiday. I would never consider tipping a custom, and I would most likely not tip if I went to the US either if the service was not extraordinary.

I don't know why everyone is saying the foreigners aren't custom to tipping, they actually tip better then Americans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette1376 View Post
    I don't know why everyone is saying the foreigners aren't custom to tipping, they actually tip better then Americans!!!
    Granted its been a couple decades since I waited tables but that is not true at all from when I was waiting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Because that's a completly sensible comparrison. Don't tip your waitress when eating out in the USA and we'll send a drone strike against a wedding in your country, murdering countless innocent civilians. Ha, that'll learn ya!

Forgetting the fact that I very much doubt there are huge numbers of Afghan or Iraqi nationals regularly eating out in the USA, but meh...

I always tip at the very least 15% to the waiters/waitress. Think about it for a second; You're just sitting down the whole time while they're running back and forth trying to get "YOUR" food and making sure that 'YOU" are happy with the quality of your meal/beverage. You are only paying for food and not the service.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Granted its been a couple decades since I waited tables but that is not true at all from when I was waiting.
    Until all the fiasco's about tipping went into international news, I doubt most europeans knew you guys expect a 15% tip. American tv shows help too in filling this knowledge gap.

I remember watching american tv shows and wondering why the delivery boy was expecting a tip etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

You don't get it, do you? Because of that "expected but not enforced" tipping policy, people can abuse the system and get their meal cheaper. Not because they are poor, but because they don't feel like sharing their earned money with some stranger. System is faulty. People abuse it. No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Problem is not that people don't tip, but that the waiters need the tip. Here in Denmark you only tip in fancy restaurants, and you never, ever give the pizza delivery guy anything. They are getting payed 20$+ an hour anyway.

The only places I have ever tried to tip were really fancy restaurants and sometimes when we eat out while on holiday. I would never consider tipping a custom, and I would most likely not tip if I went to the US either if the service was not extraordinary.

Here in the US, the Pizza guy is using his own car, paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas not counting insurance and wear and tear and being paid like 6 bucks an hour. Not tipping? Pretty much fucking him.

If you do not want to tip in the US, stay home. Do not come. I would never go to Japan or Korea and refuse to take my shoes off to enter a place where it was requested. When in Rome... and if you dont want to follow custom, stay the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette1376 View Post
    First of all, if you can't tip your server then don't go. Out and eat! 2nd we only get paid 2.13hr, so how is the company paying us to do our job. 3rd we have to claim 20% of our gross sales after our shift, even if we didn't make it! And finally you say the employer has to make up the difference if a server doesn't make minimum wage, yes they do, but if they have to pay the difference you get written up and put on a slow shift, then forced to quit! So Mr. Non tipper I bet you make over minimum wage and you get a paycheck where you can cash it. My paycheck is always 0.00. As a server they combine your tips for the week and add the hours for the week to come up with that minimum wage. I work 10 hour shifts I don't get paid 7.25 for each hour I'm there, so if I didn't make 70.00 for they day they don't care as long as the next day I make over. So you can sit there and bitch about having to tip servers. Or quit going to restaurants and making servers feel that their service was inadequate and they did something wrong to not get a tip, go to Burger King and get it your way. And save them servers heartache and stress from your dumb ass
    If people who don't tip didn't go to restaurants anymore, business in those restaurants would go down and jobs would be lost. You may not like the guy not tipping you, but he's still partly responsible for you having a job to begin with.

I'm sorry that you chose a shitty industry to work in, but that's not my problem as the guy eating out at a restaurant. You should be grateful to get tipped, not expectant like a spoiled child.

You don't get it, do you? Because of that "expected but not enforced" tipping policy people can abuse the system and get their meal cheaper. Not because they are poor, but because they don't feel like sharing their earned money with some stranger. System is faulty. People abuse it. No surprise there.
    Because here people like the right to reduce or even elimiate a tip if the service was bad. They also like to leave extra if it was good. Tips are usually how a waiter knows if they are doing a good job or not.

But you dont get it, its not the servers fault that the system allows cheapskate bastards to stiff them because they can.

Anyone who goes to a restaurant in the US and doesnt tip and stiffs the server, is a rude fucking asshole.

Deleted

thats the thing....tipping IS an option. As horrible as it may seem to be in not tipping in the US, it is still a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    This is not the same thread as i have a different approach to tipping, i am not asking if tipping is required, i am asking in relation to that statement that if you only have enough money for dinner but not enough for tip, should you not go?
    You're not required to eat at a restaurant. You can go to your local grocery store and buy ramen noodles if you're that hard up for cash. If you go to a "sit down" restaurant tips are customary.

PS- if you stiff some server, I highly suggest you stay the hell out of the place because you will be recognized and you do not want to eat the food if you are