Page 1 of 2
LastLast

At what point would the EU consider taking military action

It is well known that the EU will always try and seek a diplomatic approach to everything before considering committing men on the ground.

My question to all our EU posters at point could something be so egregious that the EU would consider immediate military action that does not involve an invasion of your home countries? Violation of Geneva Conventions? Genocide? Ugly dictator with the massive revenge complex against the EU?

I am genuinely curious what line would need to be crossed before we'd see a solid military commitment.

Don't get me wrong I commend the EU's more intellectual approach to most things and here in the States we could do a lot less shooting from the hip. But at the same time sometimes military intervention is the only thing that actually gets anything done. There is only so much harsh language and trade embargos can do.

Deleted
    Doesn't take much for the Brits to move their arses, I was very shocked we are sitting out Syria, then again we had more troops in Afghanistan than the rest of Europe combined and we need a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Doesn't take much for the Brits to move their arses, I was very shocked we are sitting out Syria, then again we had more troops in Afghanistan than the rest of Europe combined and we need a rest.
    im hoping your guys recognized and told obama "YOU HAVE NO FUCKING PLAN!!!" because we really dont. lobbing a few missiles will accomplish jack shit, and our efforts at government building have done so damned well lately
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    im hoping your guys recognized and told obama "YOU HAVE NO FUCKING PLAN!!!" because we really dont. lobbing a few missiles will accomplish jack shit, and our efforts at government building have done so damned well lately
    I think the whole "France is our biggest ally" really pissed off too many of our people, if France is so much of a buddy let them join in.

I guess when it turns into more than just a civil war?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I guess when it turns into more than just a civil war?
    I was hoping for something more specific. We talking drone attacks of another country? Troops occupying a little used piece of land? Firing missiles at a city? People taken hostage and executed?

These things all still fall under a civil war, its really not anyones place to join in for any perceived good, I'm personally torn on the subject, do i think we should send in military aid to protect unarmed civis, yes i do, do i think we should send in military aid to overthrow the tyrannical government, no i don't, the ppl need to do that themselves.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-09-03 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    These things all still fall under a civil war, its really not anyones place to join in for any perceived good, I'm personally torn on the subject, do i think we should send in military aid to protect unarmed civis, yes i do, do i think we should send in military aid to overthrow the tyrannical government, no i don't, the ppl need to do that themselves.
    That is an interesting response. How do you protect the innocent exactly without overthrowing the bully? Train them how to fight back? Arm them?

To my original question what I was looking for was something on the lines of, "If someone did 'this' we'd have to respond militarily bypassing any diplomatic steps we'd normally take because the act is so egregious." Keep in mind I am not limiting this to just the Syrian civil war but to anything that happens in the world.

I think the whole "France is our biggest ally" really pissed off too many of our people, if France is so much of a buddy let them join in.
    For what its worth, the UK will always be a much better ally and friend of America than France will ever be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    For what its worth, the UK will always be a much better ally and friend of America than France will ever be.
    Shame your President does not think that, he has insulted the UK a few times. Even Bush junior the shaved ape thanked the UK, Obama just flips us off.

10+ Year Old Account
    most Europe doesn't even have a decent military, thats why they seek diplomatic options
    dragonmaw - EU

Shame your President does not think that, he has insulted the UK a few times. Even Bush junior the shaved ape thanked the UK, Obama just flips us off.
    I never really understood his animosity towards the UK either, I mean really.....he sent your queen a few dvd's as a present.....how lame

Deleted
    I never really understood his animosity towards the UK either, I mean really.....he sent your queen a few dvd's as a present.....how lame
    DVDs that do not work on British DVD players and even if she wanted them they are freely available in the UK, he might just have offered to help us dig a new village well it was so degrading. And I think it was our PM Gordon Brown.

Deleted
    Personally I'd give her an eviction notice but I don't like royalty and all of the pomp and stuff that surrounds it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Personally I'd give her an eviction notice but I don't like royalty and all of the pomp and stuff that surrounds it.
    Ever met her? I have and I prefer her over any politician.

10+ Year Old Account
    he called UK his closest ally in his Syria speech.

- - - Updated - - -

ive not met her, i met Philip though, he was cool. visited my village after some flooding
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    I prefer Putin to Hitler, I still don't like Putin.

The French government is cowardly as usual and would not make a good ally.

DVDs that do not work on British DVD players and even if she wanted them they are freely available in the UK, he might just have offered to help us dig a new village well it was so degrading. And I think it was our PM Gordon Brown.
    I would have sent her some home made macaroni necklaces, or painted some 40k figurines for her, at least that's more personalized.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    he called UK his closest ally in his Syria speech.

- - - Updated - - -

ive not met her, i met Philip though, he was cool. visited my village after some flooding
    He changes his mind all the time about who his best friend is, it has been noticed by a lot of people.