10+ Year Old Account

Writing block; names?

I'll not write so much about my book, but what I'll say is that I've worked for 9 months with it, creating a world filled with interesting houses, characters and plots, in high detail. I have written some but I want to be done creating all characters and lord families before I continue, I am recreating the entire 36 paged prologue (Prologue is vital, sets up the darkness in the book aswell as a huge spark of conflict. It is not a "flashback" or things that happenedlong ago. It happens a day before the real stories begin)

My problem is names, family names and such. Trust me I have worked my head to the point of migraine but I need so much...imagine the size of A Song of Ice and Fire and then you got around what I've made thus far. /Note I started working on the book before I even knew about ASoIaF or GoT (I neglected due to I get easily addicted, and once I began watching and reading I did)

Now let's create an estimate, the Eastern Kingdom of the Empire got seven Prime Lords (rulers of the east, but they are vowed to the King in the west) and each of them got lower branches of houses, let's just make a rough estimate that would be around 5-6 each.
    Then we got the five Overseers (rulers of the West, allegiance to the King) + the royal dynasty, each of them having 8-12 lower branch houses at their bidding.

Now your (my) job is to create lords, wives and children to every house. I'm probably...like 65% done (65% done of the Empire of the South, still have another gigantic kingdom, but I have filled that up good too thus I'm mostly worried about the Southern Empire)
    I focus on realism so I do have people with same names (could have more but I don't want to add too many)

How would you do this? Sometimes names just come to me like a spark but my head is spinning so that's not really working at the moment.
    I guess that is my question..if you've ever written and everything just stops what do you do to surpass this blockade? (I need to know names before making the character, contrary to most other tips I've seen)

Oh yea and I'm obviously an aspiring writer and I would hope that once I finished one book of this series that... like let's say I am done with the first book at 736 pages(random) and I've moved to somewhere in the UK and I'm looking eagerly for a publisher. Now this thought troubles me, I would be 21-23 years when I finished the first book (rough estimate) then would you really believe a publisher would even give a "young" mind a shot? Like I see no hope because I really wouldn't give him a shot if I were the publisher, I'd say he needed to mature more and in a way experience stuff.

TL;DR What do you do when/if you have writing blocks? Specifically names. Would you think a publisher would give a 21-23 y/o a chance with such a big world and everything? Let's say I came with a finished manuscript and the first book in box then I would go in to some publisher and say "I got the next big thing!" I wouldn't really believe that if I were in the publisher's shoes. Of course if I were rejected I would move on but...you see the problem as most big time writers aren't as young.

I probably messed up a lot of writing, been awake for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. I got migraine and I wrote quickly without much second thought. (Plus I got to work on my writing skills, it's not near the perfection it needs to be)
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...

Deleted
    Are you copying Game of thrones? Sounds like it and thats what the publisher will think.

Oh yea and I'm obviously an aspiring writer and I would hope that once I finished one book of this series that... like let's say I am done with the first book at 736 pages(random) and I've moved to somewhere in the UK and I'm looking eagerly for a publisher. Now this thought troubles me, I would be 21-23 years when I finished the first book (rough estimate) then would you really believe a publisher would even give a "young" mind a shot? Like I see no hope because I really wouldn't give him a shot if I were the publisher, I'd say he needed to mature more and in a way experience stuff.
    This has nothing to do with your age, you don't even have to mention your age when you send your manuscript. What's important is your word count, and in that case: No, don't be stupid. Educate yourself about this -- if you want to go the traditional route, anything above 90k words will be sneered at by 90% of the agents you'll send it to. 120k max, if you're lucky.

Deleted
    self publish via amazon and e-books.
    As for names, Cant really help you there.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Do you at least have family names? Do you want names with specific meanings or origins? Could we toss out random cool sounding made-up names ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Are you copying Game of thrones? Sounds like it and thats what the publisher will think.
    I figured that halfway, but in my defense I actually began after watching the Hobbit last year. At that time I had neglected GoT and it isnt until recently I got addicted to it. And no, feudal society does not equal GoT. But of course since that is the new hip thing that would become a belief yes.

If I really gave up a great detailed explanation you will see that yes, it bears similarities to George's work. But isn't anywhere close to copy.

@Vizardlorde, You could toss out or come with meanings. But stay away from old germanic or german names as german sounding names are for the other kingdom. (trying to keep it as realistic as possible with names)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razstah View Post
    I figured that halfway, but in my defense I actually began after watching the Hobbit last year. At that time I had neglected GoT and it isnt until recently I got addicted to it. And no, feudal society does not equal GoT. But of course since that is the new hip thing that would become a belief yes.

If I really gave up a great detailed explanation you will see that yes, it bears similarities to George's work. But isn't anywhere close to copy.
    Odd considering you have 2 quotes from the author in your sig, I get the impression you are more familiar with his work than you admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could always do what Martin did, and just twist history a bit. He's based GoT pretty extensively off the War of the Roses period in British history, and the names are largely borrowed, with a twist to make them unique enough. Hence York becomes Stark, Lancaster becomes Lannister, and so on. It's not a direct solution, but it's a good source to look to for inspiration.

Odd considering you have 2 quotes from the author in your sig, I get the impression you are more familiar with his work than you admit.
    He said he "recently" got addicted to it..

10+ Year Old Account
    I began watching at the beginning of season 3 (that was almost 3 months before I began with my book, and then I already had a portion of the houses and what not) and have read two of his books, so not really. But yea, I've looked at hours of interviews and him talking to master classes on youtube about everything he thinks is important in writing etc. Yes, that is inspiration for me to keep going, not to steal his work. You misunderstand adoration for theft? I dunno, he's my biggest role model to date and I'm not going to hide that because it will make people believe I copy his work. I've also done the same with JK rowling, doens't mean I'm stealing Harry Potter. I could have quotes with her aswell, or Chris Metzen, whom I also see as a role mode "ish" type of person.

@Endus Yea I've had some lessons about the War of the Roses and such. And I am actually tweaking some history points but if I reveal them now it'd be a huge spoiler. And I have based a few surnames for the major families off of some historic families.
    Last edited by Razstah; 2013-09-03 at 10:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Kryktos, Zariel, Arctus, Bethania Idk if any if these could be considered realistic or RPG-esque, maybe it would be better to use real names like Hector, Eileen, Roderick etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam of House Jensen, Lord of Detroit.

But seriously, when I'm in need of names, I look at baby name generators. Then I start messing with names that I find and like and work them until they're something new by replacing letters and syllables or adding to them. And I try to take it somewhat far, so I'm not just changing Edward to Eddard (cough cough) and calling it a day.
    Putin khuliyo

Man, I don't mean to be persistent but really you're avoiding the major issue here. Names can honestly wait when you have unrealistic expectations of the publishing industry.

Agents will start to sweat when you send them something over 90k and will go up to a max of 120k. Anything over that and you're in the trash bin like that. At an estimated 768 pages you're looking at somewhere around the realm of 200-225k words. The only way you're going to get looked at with a word count like that as a first time author is if you have very good contacts or you have acclamation/awards with various shorter fiction which I'm assuming you don't.

You're still in the first novel phase of a writer where you believe that "I'm sure the agents will bend their rules for my amazing writing and plot! Everyone else just sucks obviously!" You're not incredibly wrong with the latter statement, but the former is bullshit. They won't even read past your first email once you mention your staggering wordcount, nor will they request a partial or a full of the manuscript because when the most popular agents are getting somewhere along the lines of a thousand pitches a day (no joke, follow Sara Megibow on Twitter if you want to be gobsmacked), they are looking for any reason to say no. So how do you expect them to know the details of your plot at all besides the short paragraph or two in your pitch, which won't be anywhere enough to summarize every beautiful plot twist you have in a 200k word book.

First novel phase. When you realize that this isn't going to work out, start working on your next book, something with a more realistic word count. Realize that this is a lot more difficult than writing a single book. And if you tell yourself "Fuck Vizzle he's a dumb shit I'll just self-publish." I don't recommend self-publishing your first book either because nine times out of ten it's just not going to be good yet, because you haven't mastered the craft as well as your future-self would probably appreciate.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-09-03 at 11:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The internet is full of name generators of all kinds. Another thing you can is describing a character in one word, and find out how to say that word in another language, maybe twist it a little, and name the character that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    The internet is full of name generators of all kinds. Another thing you can is describing a character in one word, and find out how to say that word in another language, maybe twist it a little, and name the character that.
    That's how I named my death knight (Viraelis.) Messed around with the Latin word for "Virulent"
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Man, I don't mean to be persistent but really you're avoiding the major issue here. Names can honestly wait when you have unrealistic expectations of the publishing industry.

Agents will start to sweat when you send them something over 90k and will go up to a max of 120k
    Eh, epic fantasy is usually a little longer, they're often looking for 90-100k words. Here's a rough word count suggestion, by genre, that I find handy; http://worddreams.wordpress.com/2010...ount-by-genre/

90k words isn't a problem area, usually, it's when you creep up to 100k for most genres, and over 120k for pretty much anything is a REALLY hard sell.

But yeah; if you're at 736 pages, you may want to consider chopping it into two books. When you're looking for an agent, mention that you have the second already written. It's probably easier to sell that way, and if she knows a publisher who likes massive books, they can pitch that publisher the combined version.

Publishing is a business, and they don't like exceptions, as a rule. Write within the guidelines until you've got enough of a name to start breaking them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Agents will start to sweat when you send them something over 90k and will go up to a max of 120k. Anything over that and you're in the trash bin like that. At an estimated 768 pages you're looking at somewhere around the realm of 200-225k words. The only way you're going to get looked at with a word count like that as a first time author is if you have very good contacts or you have acclamation/awards with various shorter fiction which I'm assuming you don't.

You're still in the first novel phase of a writer where you believe that "I'm sure the agents will bend their rules for my amazing writing and plot! Everyone else just sucks obviously!" You're not incredibly wrong with the latter statement, but the former is bullshit. They won't even read past your first email once you mention your staggering wordcount, nor will they request a partial or a full of the manuscript because when the most popular agents are getting somewhere along the lines of a thousand pitches a day (no joke, follow Sara Megibow on Twitter if you want to be gobsmacked), they are looking for any reason to say no. So how do you expect them to know the details of your plot at all besides the short paragraph or two in your pitch, which won't be anywhere enough to summarize every beautiful plot twist you have in a 200k word book.

First novel phase. When you realize that this isn't going to work out, start working on your next book, something with a more realistic word count. Realize that this is a lot more difficult than writing a single book. And if you tell yourself "Fuck Vizzle he's a dumb shit I'll just self-publish." I don't recommend self-publishing your first book either because nine times out of ten it's just not going to be good yet, because you haven't mastered the craft as well as your future-self would probably appreciate.
    I know its the first novel phase and you aren't wrong. But I've had a sortof plan B for that, like, I'm pretty sure that the world I've made is the main "spark" in my "career" if I'm ever going to be "successful", and the plan B is that I write short stories about earlier events in the book. Because the first book is led up by a great amount of backstory.

I like that you write in a detailed way and a realistic thought process, I thank you for it. I've thought of two different book ideas but sadly none of them are small ideas. When I think of something I think big, I don't want to settle for a short story, I want the type of story that drags you into your wildest planes of imagination, that really sticks with you.

I wont ever self publish, not even consider it. I haven't researched that much into the publishing industry as I still have years of work ahead. I will consider what you said and I will really think hard, but I can't see myself as a short story creator, (I know that is how all start and I know its bad to think to have skipped that). The only other alternative would be to write shortstories about other previous events in the book. There are plenty of events I can write about that has happened, I don't know what to do though, I wont give up this world and everything I have created. It's already become my dearest baby and escape (from a hard reality)

@Endus Chopping it in two? Already done, hah..well..I think I met a wall. I'm getting really frustrated as the story I am telling is more than just the one book I'm talking about now, that's just the start of the conflicts. I guess there is no choice but to write numerous short stories then? It's not bad and I have to be realistic seeming as you two have a little more knowledge about publishing than me.
    Last edited by Razstah; 2013-09-03 at 11:45 PM.