Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    when I was about 15, came home early from school.
    Day before we bought new stereo and a new video player (this was a while ago).
    We lived on 6'th floor, our apartment in a corner.
    There are stairs right by our door (not main stairs, but like side-stairs).
    My cousin lived on same floor (with his family), he was about 18 (3 years apart).

So I go to open my door, but it's ajar. I try to push it a little, but it doesn't move. I knock, and figure something's wrong.
    I go to my cousin's door, and knock on it.
    Before he opens, I see two big guys - about 6 feet or close to it, but also fat looking come out of my apartment and go down the stairs.
    I freak out, and try to explain it to my cousin, he tells me to call police.
    I go to my apartment and call police.

So that was about 2pm, when I called police.
    At about 7pm my other cousin came over, and mentioned that there was police on first floor, and he asked them if they are coming to me, and they said they were there on another call.
    About 9pm police came.

They looked around, asked me if I want to get a guy who does fingerprints, I said 'yes'. They asked me if I want to come down to look at photos to see if I recognize anyone, I said 'yes'.
    They repeated the question about me looking at photographs few more times, until I said 'no' - which was I guess the right answer.

About 3 or 4 days later a guy came for fingerprints, and he looked around, did like two samples, said there's nothing really he can look at, and left.

What I could have realistically done:
    Run to first floor (using different stairs), where I had an older relative, that liked to fight, he could have gotten my stuff back likely. I know they might have had weapons, and that's one reason I didn't do anything - I was in a position where I could have just pushed them down the stairs, and they would probably have dropped the bags.

I don't regret doing neither - it wasn't worth the risk.

What was stolen:
    The new Video player we bought day before was stolen. Maybe something else minor, but I don't remember
    The new stereo we bought day before was disconnected from speakers, but apparently they didn't have time to take it, so they left.

TLDR:
    Police wasn't in a hurry to find perpetrators, realistically they had nothing to go on though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    TLDR:
    Police wasn't in a hurry to find perpetrators, realistically they had nothing to go on though.
    That is fucking atrocious. When I had my burglar, the police were there within 20 minutes of calling them, complete with crime scene kit for taking prints. They were even sympathetic enough to "ignore" the big bag of weed on my flatmate's desk (noticed and commented, but just smiled and did nothing about it).
    Sometimes the stories I hear on this forum make me proud of my local force.

Deleted
    Stolen from me? Not that I can remember.

House broken into? No. I have walls around my property to dissuade most people and an alarm on my home just to make sure.

Deleted
    Nope but my brother won a £500 smartphone but didn't get it on recorded delivery (they give you a choice) and someone from the post office must have taken it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but in the last apartment building me and my mother lived in, a few of our neighbours reported break-ins during winter. Usually it wouldn't have been possible to enter the building without a key, but some people were stupid enough to push the button that opens the main door on their intercom without asking who's standing on the door mat.

And my brother (he lived in a building right next to us) and his neighbour from across came home from work to discover someone had broken the cheap lock on the door and raided his apartment. They'd stolen several (expensive) electrical appliances, including a big ass TV, in broad daylight and from a flat on the upper floor. All this without anyone witnessing anything.

We were very glad to leave this turdhole of a town far behind us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my bicycle stolen (well, atleast I think so, unless I left it somewhere and forgot where), not a big loss because it wasn't very valuable and I prefer walking anyways.
    I think everyone in this city has had their bicycle stolen (or stole one themselves) at some point, it's like a local criminal hobby...

When I was younger our home was broken into... when I got home from school, all the drawers was taken out, and the stuff on the tables.. all cloth on the beds..
    Both me and my little brother, being around what, 12-14, thought our mom was just doing some house work.. not until she came home that evening and found the house a mess, did we realize what had happened
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had my phone stole while in a backpackers in NYC.

Didn't ruin the trip, but was still a pain in the ass.

Never had anything stolen, but I do have a serious problem with homeless people having orgies in my prius.

Deleted
    my bike was stolen infront of the Town Hall once, it had video security and armed guards. the crooks cut my bikes lock within 50 meters of the guards, but they didn't see or hear anything, they said. also there was a camera directly pointed to where my bike was, but now 10 years later police still haven't done shit about it. the police force is really fuckin useless when expensive things get stolen, but when some1 steals a bread from the supermarket or bakery, they come in full force.....

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had stuff stolen from me. Hate it. Swear if I ever catch somebody in the act and on my property I'll bash their skull in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Never had anything stolen, but I do have a serious problem with homeless people having orgies in my prius.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Someone stole my wallet while I was at the front row of a mastodon gig. They(or someone else) returned my wallet to the lost and found. All my cards in it but missing my 80 euros

10+ Year Old Account
    house broken into twice
    2nd time the cops caught the robbers a week and a half later and we got most our stuff back, they were some sort of eastern european gang
    Also when I was a kid someone stole a yugi-oh deck with quite some good cards in it, never found out who did it.(though I have my suspicions, not that I care anymore)
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

Deleted
    Had my bicycle stolen once when i was like 12 or so. Someone opened the lock on the gate and they stole it from right outside our door, like a week or so later I saw some kid riding it on the street, it got repainted but I recognized it.

Jubkhead broke into my house 2 years ago, i woke up to him screaming in pain cause my rotweiler had snapped his arm and was holding him down. Called the police and they picked him up. Still sleeping good at night thanks to my dog

Deleted
    Just a mobile phone, by some member of our beloved minority.
    Oh.. and a bike.
    Last edited by mmoc9303c11829; 2013-09-05 at 12:47 PM.

No, but I have had to break into my own house a couple of times. xD
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I had a gold necklace stolen from my house by a visitor but It was returned a month later by her stepmother when she noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Algorath View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I came home piss drunk after a night on town, and forgot to close the front door behind me (and left the keys in the door) to my apartment, and passed out in bed - I got woken up by one of my neighbours ive met in passing poking me with my keys in hand, he said "Hey man, looks like you've had a good night on town, you forgot to lock up, here are your keys, could you close the door behind me?"

So, yes, ive been broken into, in a way - But nothing stolen.. <3 Denmark
    Awesome story. =)

I live in a small town so there's little to no crime here. I still lock my car, but more out of habit than anything else. When I lived in Harlem though I kept all my shit locked up and never took my car down there. (Left it with my parents on the other side of the state) Not that I needed it, NYC's public transportation is a hell of a deal compared to owning a car anyway.