Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    as more people use it, these companies won't be able to stop people from making use of it. Nobody wants bullshit adds getting in the way of things.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, as a note... making youtube (or any other site) "subscription based" to ignore adds... really? The only people that would pay the subscription are people with actual purchasing power... Kids and poor grad students don't have the means to pay 1) a subscription or 2) buy the new KIA whatever being advertised. And while I realize that the website is only in it for the money, either from subs or the advertisers paying them, it doesn't make sense from an advertiser's point of view...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If your business model's success relies on the income of adds, it's the wrong business model. It's extra income, not main income. If it is main income, it's a volatile business and you shouldn't be surprised if the income takes a dive.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, first vid is kinda both ingenious and hypocritical. Second one...web ad ass kisser, waaayyy too passionate about being mad at it. (What's wrong, is he losing pennies per click somewhere?) The first blockers years ago prob wouldn't even have been invented in the first place if many advertisers weren't so incredibly obnoxious.

I despise the obnoxious ones, and even more so though I have come to distrust ads. After some previous experiences I don't trust that websites take any precaution (or even care) if viruses could be gotten from ads loading on their site. I feel that many of them will just take the money from the advertiser and link it through. I'd contacted a site once after it seemed I'd gotten a virus that way, the only response I got was that their site is virus free. Yeah, now what about the ads you allow.

Being bombarded by it online is like billboards being allowed to be thrown AT my car... no thanks. Sit along the side, don't be obnoxious, and don't cause the car to break down and I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Edit: People (like the second video) can bitch all they want about stealing from them by blocking it, but if they're giving me viruses with it then they are not only stealing my time that I have to spend to try to correct that problem but also trying to damage my property with it and for that I think I have the right to say no.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-09-07 at 11:20 PM.

If they'd stop having ads that have viruses, speak without any way of being muted, flash violently, or coat half your screen if you accidentally mouse over them, I'd be okay with ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter if "AdBlock" fails the user base, there will always be someone who will continue carrying the flag of people who say no to all ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was great while it lasted.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Well, there are addons for wordpress to do this. I wouldn't be surprised to see google code this in too - so YouTube will load even slower as these checks need to be done.
    So people will write greasemonkey userscripts that strip that code out of the website that does those checks. And you're back to square one.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-09-07 at 11:09 PM.

So... blocking ads is stealing and mooching from websites, youtubers and streamers but Zybak streaming and playing someone else's game and making money off that game with no return to them isn't stealing or mooching? <--- that logic works both ways.
    i remember the times i did not know about ad block.... trying to watch anime was really annoying ads covering the video, so i couldnt go full screen or press play had to refresh billion times for it to disapear.... i'm sticking with ad block and disable it on streams/youtubers i like.

So... if I understand correctly, if you do not click on an ad the website gets NO money, right?

So if I'm blocking ads that I would otherwise never click... what's the problem? We're also forgetting that blocking Ads is also a nice PC security future.

I recently started using addblock. I did this cause off security reasons (Have had infections before from banner add's - Wowhead etc) and to get ride off annoying add's, such as a VEEERRRRYYY bad banner add on this very site (I did report it to admins, but they asked for the URL witch I coulden't get, without clicking on it I think?)..

BASICLY I don't mind good add's. But the internet has way to many bad add's lately that pisses me off. FIX IT, THEN I WON'T USE ADDBLOCK PLUS.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If they'd stop having ads that have viruses, speak without any way of being muted, flash violently, or coat half your screen if you accidentally mouse over them, I'd be okay with ads.
    haha IKR :P ... Personally I allow some adds on my ABP mostly the ones that are non intrusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So... if I understand correctly, if you do not click on an ad the website gets NO money, right?

So if I'm blocking ads that I would otherwise never click... what's the problem? We're also forgetting that blocking Ads is also a nice PC security future.
    Unless things changed the ad loading on your pc is enough for them to make money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Yup. Until then, /adblocked

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Unless things changed the ad loading on your pc is enough for them to make money on it.
    do they even do that anymore? I was under the impression they stop ads from even being downloaded now.

They block people using adblock - there will be a better adblock will be made or the plugin that bypasses the block. If something is free than it will be free, if it's not free then say so. They are doomed to fail, as well as all that copyright bullshit, it's just a matter of time.
    Bigger than Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    people who use adblock are robbing people of money. if you enjoy anything on a website and continue using it then you are a bad person.

if you like what someone is doing you can take the 30 seconds or so it takes to watch a damn ad so that person can feed their families and continue doing the things you loved.

how would you like it if i just walked into your place of business and just took all the shit i wanted for free and said "HA HA IM WEARIN A JACKET BLOCKED YOU @_@"
    Why should i 'pay' for something that i have no idea how it will be. How about i get offered the chance to watch an ad AFTER ive enjoyed content from someone, and if i enjoyed it, then ill sit through an ad. I cant get my time back if i watch an ad for a video that doesnt load, or a video that i stop 2 minutes in because its shitty. The current ad system would need to be drastically changed before i even consider turning off addblock, save for like 4 youtube channels i dont have blocked atm because i KNOW ill enjoy every piece of content i watch.

I don't mind ads, until they start being intrusive. I don't mind banners n' shit like that but the ones that expand and/or cover the whole fucking page can fuckin' fuck off. I'll take my infraction and LIKE IT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Everyone, its going to hurt viewers, content creators and advertisers. But the stupid twats dont seem to care.
    It's hard to care when I get a fucking seizure from a flashing "YOU WON!!!!!!!" ad that, when I click on, gives me malware.

Tell the advertisers to develop safe and unobtrusive advertisements, and I'll consider removing adblock from my browser.

Until then, they can continue to receive the extended middle appendage.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Until then, they can continue to receive the extended middle appendage.
    Some of the people I've met from advertising would pay good money for that.