Write/Read speeds (SSD)

This may seem like a fairly dumb question and I think I know the answer but just feel like I am missing something.

Is there any major advantages to having high write times for a SSD?

I'm basically looking at the Samsung 840 / 840 EVO / 840 PRO and all of them are in the same general area of read times but larger differences in write times, but what are write times really good for? I can't download a file faster then can possibly be written. Extracting/installing a program is more or less a one time deal so having that go fast isn't anything special.

The real reason for an SSD is to have higher read times right? That's were most of the work is being done so the difference in those 3 Samsung drives are basically nothing when it comes to what is being done nearly all of the time.... I think??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayko View Post
    Is there any major advantages to having high write times for a SSD?
    Yes, but it's largely unnoticed by general use/gaming. 99% of the community on this forum won't benefit from a high write SSD.

The real reason for an SSD is to have higher read times right?
    I'm basically looking at the Samsung 840 / 840 EVO / 840 PRO and all of them are in the same general area of read times but larger differences in write times,
    Basically... Read/Write

840 - 530/240... Good Read, Okay Write
    840 Pro - 540/520... Good Read, Good Write
    840 EVO - 540/520... Good Read, Good Write

So, it seems like with all "Good" read... the cheapest is best, right? Well, the Pro is literally for Professional use... Where a situation demands high write speed. It's more or less for professional environments. I've built systems that use these... But its not gamers. Where does that leave the EVO?

The Evo seems like an expensive (but not as pricey as the Pro) standard 840. HOWEVER. It supports RAPID, Samsung software that uses ram caching to nearly double the Read speed. So that makes the EVO -extremely- attractive with only a small price tag extra. Notably, the Pro also supports RAPID, however with the higher pricetag, it's still for professional use. So, it really looks more like this.

840 - 530/240... Good Read, Okay Write
    840 Pro - 800+/520... Amazing Read, Good Write
    840 EVO - 800+/520... Amazing Read, Good Write

Since the price of the EVO is only about 10% more than the 840... I almost recommend it exclusively, unless 10-20 bucks will make or break a build.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I had a look at the specs for the 500/512GB versions (just to keep them all roughly the same) and for IOPS (Read/Write):

- 840: 97K/63K
    - 840 EVO: 98K/90K
    - 840 Pro: 100K/90K

In terms of read IOPS they all perform roughly the same, and they're all rather good too.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly enough the 840 and 840 Pro quote those figures as "Up to" where as the 840 EVO has the numbers alone.

References:
    840: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TD500BW-specs
    840 EVO: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE500LW-specs
    840 Pro: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD512BW-specs