Thread: Build critique

Build critique

Budget: ideally USD $ 1500 range. May go a little over or under is even better.

Games / Settings Desired: Wow, and mainly newer games. FPS, Strategy, Action/Adventure, etc. I would like to get best settings possible within budget.

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I'd like to start dabbling in amateur video editing, rendering, production.

Parts that can be reused: monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, headset.

Do you need an OS?: Yes, preferably Win 7, unless the stories I hear about 8 giving a minor performance increase are true.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: nope

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor *($229.98)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler *($109.99)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard *($129.99)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory *($57.99)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk *($176.99)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive *($59.98)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card *($379.99)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case *($84.50)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm *Fans *($27.98)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply *($74.99)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer *($15.98)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) *($89.98)
    Total: $1438.34

My main questions are if I have overkilled on any particular area. Mainly the cooler, could I get away with using a H60 instead of the H100i? The power supply I'd like to leave for the potential of SLI upgrade in the future and I'm pretty sold on that case. I'd like to have a white with blue lighted interior theme forth is build as well.
    Other than that I'd like good performance while still not accidentally paying for overkill when I could have saved on the budget. If it helps I usually have about a 5 year lifespan between builds.

Thanks everyone!

I really got nothing to say on that build, it's looking pretty solid. For the blue interior theme, there'd be the MSI Z87-G43 but it uses an outdated 6phase VRM and you'd lose FanXpert 2 so I'd stick with the asus. Unfortunately all GPUs are either black or black and red as well so you can't really change that either.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-09-09 at 04:53 AM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Yeah your right about the color scheme. No dice! Any input on my cooler question. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anderix View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Yeah your right about the color scheme. No dice! Any input on my cooler question. Thanks!!
    It might help pushing ~200 mhz more, I wouldn't expect more than that. Your choice if it's worth it as that's more or less the only place you can get that performance anyways.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    If you're not going SLI/XFire, then I'd recommend a smaller PSU, like the Seasonic 620W version, which last I checked was on sale at $59.99. Also not that keen on the case, but that's more cosmetic than anything else.

You can save money and go the H80i instead of H100i.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. After some more thinking, I believe I'm going to stick with not attempting any over clocking, and one video card should suit my needs. Thanks Potis for the cooler suggestion too!

If you're not going to overclock, you could get away with a CM Hyper 212 EVO for more than enough cooling. Saves some money...

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    If you're not going to overclock, you could get away with a CM Hyper 212 EVO for more than enough cooling. Saves some money...
    If they aren't going to overclock they can get away with a stock cooler and not have all that weight tugging at their motherboard :P
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The build is great.

On the note of your question about the heatsink, I would say don't go H60, especially if you'd like to OC at all. Haswell runs hot if you don't delid it, and I mean really hot. Even the absolute best coolers (air and liquid) struggle with it, so I would stick with the H100i if you can afford it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water