Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What is this annoying noise my GPU is making?

Hey everyone, i have been having some issues with my GPU for quite some time now. 2-3 Months. Problem is that it keeps making this VERY IRRITATING buzzing noise. I can't stand it and have been constantly wondering why my GPU makes this sound. I know for sure it is my GPU because i have took of the side of the PC to look while my pc was on and kind of messed around with the fans by hand, yeah i know i am stupid for that but i figured it out without any issues what is making the noises for sure. I did not cause the issue though, it just randomly happened one day and has annoyed me ever since.

I have a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660. Luckily i made a little video, Listen closely though!
    Link for those who can't watch videos from website:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1Purrsshg

Sounds like coil whine to me. The most you can do is RMA it if still available, or cope with it.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Sounds like coil whine to me. The most you can do is RMA it if still available, or cope with it.
    If so, is there anyway to make coping with it any easier? I often just want to throw my computer because of how annoying the sound is.

Also, will this cause any problems for me besides noise? Will it affect my PC in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    If so, is there anyway to make coping with it any easier? I often just want to throw my computer because of how annoying the sound is.

Also, will this cause any problems for me besides noise? Will it affect my PC in any way?
    Not really, but it tends to get worse with time. To cope with it I guess you could get a sound dampening kit.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Doesn't sound like coil whine to me, more like rattling. When I think coil whine I think of this sound demonstrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

My evga gtx 780 had some coil whine but it went away after a few weeks.

Sounds like fan bearings.
    you are not your class,
    you are not how much gold you have in the bank
    you're not the mount you ride,
    you're not the contents of your bags,
    You're not your f***ing epics
    you're the all singing all dancing crap of the world....of warcraft

Deleted
    That's no coil whine, probably the fan

That is NOT coil whine. I've had coil whine and it's much higher pitched.

This sounds like there's something caught in his fan. I've had it happen with sloppy setups and loose wires can get nicked over and over as the fan spins. Failing that, there's likely a bad bearing in the fan.

Is it just the VC or could it potentially be any of the fans in the setup?

As said, not coil whine. Fan is offbalance/grinding/fucked.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

If it's a bad bearing/fan, RMA that sucker asap before the fan craps out altogether. If it's already past warranty, look up a aftermarket cooler and slap replace your current one.

Had the bearings start going out on my GPU after about 5 months of use and it started out sounded like the video, progressively getting louder and louder and eventually started sounding like you threw a bunch of needles into a miniature blender. Week later the fan would not spin up at all and temps shot up into the 80c range pretty damn quick. Got a aftermarket cooler and has been kicking strong for 4 years, and it has a snazzy blue LED too(that I cannot see unless I take the side of my case off)! Afterwards, I ripped open the old fan and there was a few bearings left and the rest of the inside was chunks of metal, poor thing grinded itself to death.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I have that same card, and about 1 in 5 cards seem to have that exact problem (though I do not in either of mine). It's indeed the fan and people use makeshift methods to fix it, foam pads, paper, etc. Look at the reviews on newegg.com and a few people will mention how they fixed theirs, nothing major enough to warrant RMA'ing it IMO as long as that is all it is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    If it's a bad bearing/fan, RMA that sucker asap before the fan craps out altogether. If it's already past warranty, look up a aftermarket cooler and slap replace your current one.

Had the bearings start going out on my GPU after about 5 months of use and it started out sounded like the video, progressively getting louder and louder and eventually started sounding like you threw a bunch of needles into a miniature blender. Week later the fan would not spin up at all and temps shot up into the 80c range pretty damn quick. Got a aftermarket cooler and has been kicking strong for 4 years, and it has a snazzy blue LED too(that I cannot see unless I take the side of my case off)! Afterwards, I ripped open the old fan and there was a few bearings left and the rest of the inside was chunks of metal, poor thing grinded itself to death.
    There are closed-loop water cooling blocks you can get that can function as fantastic aftermarket coolers. They're not cheap compared to a regular fan, but they don't clog up with dust and seem less prone to failure.

My next rig is going to be closed circuit for sure.

Deleted
    I had coil whine with my HD7970 that sounded like fan rattling, but it was coil whine. Coil whine comes in different flavors, not only high pitched.

You can easily test this, just manually stop the fan(s) for a second or two, if the noise is still there... you know where it's coming from.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, but it tends to get worse with time. To cope with it I guess you could get a sound dampening kit.
    Plus headphones.

Headphones can do a lot of magic.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

My 6770 did this randomly one day and persisted for the next few weeks. I contacted XFX and they sent me a new fan. Just contact Gigabyte and hope they're a nice enough company to send you a new fan for it.

So I know this is a really old thread but it's relevant...

I just installed a MSI Geforce GTX 750 Ti and was really concerned because it was making the same noises--squealing, sizzling, buzzing, squeaking, etc. This occurred mainly when I would run certain games like EverQuest II or run benchmark software (3DMark). It is not the fan. It's distinctly-electric/frequency sound. Also, I jack the fan speed all the way up to 100% and it was fine.

After reading this and similar threads, I was concerned that it was my 350w PSU (minimum of 400w recommended by MSI). However, I opened MSI Afterburner and lowered the power limit to about 50%, Core Clock to about 40%, and Memory Clock to about 40% as well. Upon running EQII again, the noises continued. I set all the EQII graphics settings to Low and exited the game. Oddly, the Afterburner settings had returned to their default settings. I ran EQII again and the noise was GONE. I turned all the graphics setting up to Ultra and, still, no noise--silent. Also, there are NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES. It's running smooth as silk even at Ultra settings.

I don't know if it was some fluke or what but, to anyone else who has this noise issue, I suggest limiting your performance settings on your GPU, tweaking them until it stops. I hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter, make a new thread... under no circumstances should you be necroing a thread from 2013.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Allen View Post
    So I know this is a really old thread but it's relevant...

I just installed a MSI Geforce GTX 750 Ti and was really concerned because it was making the same noises--squealing, sizzling, buzzing, squeaking, etc. This occurred mainly when I would run certain games like EverQuest II or run benchmark software (3DMark). It is not the fan. It's distinctly-electric/frequency sound. Also, I jack the fan speed all the way up to 100% and it was fine.

After reading this and similar threads, I was concerned that it was my 350w PSU (minimum of 400w recommended by MSI). However, I opened MSI Afterburner and lowered the power limit to about 50%, Core Clock to about 40%, and Memory Clock to about 40% as well. Upon running EQII again, the noises continued. I set all the EQII graphics settings to Low and exited the game. Oddly, the Afterburner settings had returned to their default settings. I ran EQII again and the noise was GONE. I turned all the graphics setting up to Ultra and, still, no noise--silent. Also, there are NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES. It's running smooth as silk even at Ultra settings.

I don't know if it was some fluke or what but, to anyone else who has this noise issue, I suggest limiting your performance settings on your GPU, tweaking them until it stops. I hope this helps
    Really should make a new thread, but it sounds like coil whine to me. Especially if it is only happening under load.

The reason it may have disappeared, and this is one way that sometimes works for getting rid of coil whine and lots of people had success with in the 7xx series is that once stressed enough the coil settles in and no longer whines.

Basically, what is it is there is an electromagnetic coil on your GPU. When the GPU gets stressed, like while stress testing or gaming, this coil heats up. Since it's metal, when it heats it expands. When it expands it vibrates. Vibration=sound. So again, sometimes, doing an extended stress test or gaming for a long time will get the wire to stretch completely out and as it cools it re-settles in to a position that does not cause vibration when it expands again.

Also, the reason lowering your settings works sometimes as well is because less performance=less heat=less coil expansion. I see no reason to gimp your GPU over a little coil whine though, unless it -really- bothers you while playing and mfg will not accept RMA for coil whine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Create a new thread from now on, please. Don't necro a years-old thread for this. At this point, the original poster's issue has to have been solved.