Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaje View Post
    Even during Norushen progression RJW helps with the toughest part of the fight, which is the first few waves. We are just taught that padding meters is bad and RJW = padding, but this isn't always the case.
    You just have to look at it intelligently.

On Norushen, all damage done to adds is copied to the boss. Therefore, anything that would normally be considered padding (extraneous add damage) is actually beneficial to the raid.

On Paragons, it's a matter of identifying where you DPS choke point is. If you're killing Skeer and Korven in their allotted times, then RJW is unnecessary. If you are not, then it might be a good idea. Since it is not useful any time outside of these, you would be giving up a full Xuen on Xarill and the last two just to, what, push a DPS check 0.5 seconds faster that isn't even close to being failed? That would be padding, especially if you press the button outside of those two scenarios since RJW is not a DPS increase on a single target even if you gain one chi.

On Malkorok, RJW is either very good or very bad. Either you're running up against the enrage timer (in which case Xuen would be mandatory) or you're not and killing adds faster helps the raid avoid mistakes.

Sha of Pride is similar, if you're not pushing the enrage timer who cares about single target damage?

Garrosh is a different story though. Adds in phase 1 can have 50% of their health taken away by the Iron Stars. If you're AoEing adds to death with RJW, that is actually padding because they were going to die very shortly either way. However, if it is necessary for the TotJS room, then you should have it. If you don't need it for that particular part of the fight, then you're giving up damage in P2, P3, and P4 for nothing.

Siegecrafter depends on what your raid has you doing. If you are on the belt, RJW is awful because it doesn't generate TEB at a decent rate which is mandatory for the belt. If you are not on the belt, you contemplate you existence because it doesn't make sense that the best spec to do the belt wouldn't be on it, and then you take RJW to yolo mines and try not to get everyone killed.

The basic rule is this: where your raid needs help is where you should take talents that emphasize that area. If your raid needs AoE, you take RJW. If you raid does not need AoE, you take Xuen. If you raid needs nothing, just take the talent that represents what you're doing for most of the fight (Sha of Pride and Malkorok for example actually make you AoE 20-30% of the fight).

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Siegecrafter depends on what your raid has you doing. If you are on the belt, RJW is awful because it doesn't generate TEB at a decent rate which is mandatory for the belt. If you are not on the belt, you contemplate you existence because it doesn't make sense that the best spec to do the belt wouldn't be on it, and then you take RJW to yolo mines and try not to get everyone killed.

I don't want to get involved in the padding discussion because I'm months beyond progression so finding any way to pad is what keeps me coming back. However I always found RJW on the belts to be more consistent damage every belt whereas Xuen is more "oh $h!t" button in case someone was dead. Since you can use EB on every belt, popping a RJW before it comes into range or if your out of range temporarily provides some extra dps. It's probably negligible, just makes me feel better when I'm doing belts.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

One question I'm curious on (I'll probably post some logs later after this week to get some help analyzing) is right now my guild is working on H Garrosh. Every attempt on logs I look terrible (near the bottom of the DPS). We've been wiping pretty early on in the fight (fights only last maybe 2-3 minutes...). Am I just low because I don't get some crazy 800k burst at the start and with the short duration of the fight?

I'm probably playing terrible as well but working on that. I also have terrible trinkets so that's not helping me at all (Haromms and AoC, normal/heroic ilvls respectively).

Also, is it better to save TEB for the AOC/Haromms procs over 2x Dancing Steel procs? Or are both weighted equally?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulesschild View Post
    One question I'm curious on (I'll probably post some logs later after this week to get some help analyzing) is right now my guild is working on H Garrosh. Every attempt on logs I look terrible (near the bottom of the DPS). We've been wiping pretty early on in the fight (fights only last maybe 2-3 minutes...). Am I just low because I don't get some crazy 800k burst at the start and with the short duration of the fight?

I'm probably playing terrible as well but working on that. I also have terrible trinkets so that's not helping me at all (Haromms and AoC, normal/heroic ilvls respectively).

Also, is it better to save TEB for the AOC/Haromms procs over 2x Dancing Steel procs? Or are both weighted equally?
    You use the word terrible in just about every spot possible, so not sure if it's like a girl saying "ugh, I'm so fat" or whether your actually terrible. If it's the latter then not much we can do about that.

If your fights are lasting that short then it's all about burst so don't fret. If someone is getting on your case about it then point out that WW is one of, if not THE, worst burst dps when compared to other raid dps. Also make sure you're looking at just damage to Garrosh, not overall.

Not sure what is so terrible about your trinkets, if you adjusted your haste for AoC then there is nothing terrible about it.

I've never seen 2x dancing steel happen regularly except for on the pull which is when other procs are up also. I would personally weight 2x dancing steel equally with trinkets. You should be hitting TEB on pretty much any proc unless you know you won't get the full 15s on the boss or there is another phase of high dps coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    You use the word terrible in just about every spot possible, so not sure if it's like a girl saying "ugh, I'm so fat" or whether your actually terrible. If it's the latter then not much we can do about that.

If your fights are lasting that short then it's all about burst so don't fret. If someone is getting on your case about it then point out that WW is one of, if not THE, worst burst dps when compared to other raid dps. Also make sure you're looking at just damage to Garrosh, not overall.

Not sure what is so terrible about your trinkets, if you adjusted your haste for AoC then there is nothing terrible about it.

I've never seen 2x dancing steel happen regularly except for on the pull which is when other procs are up also. I would personally weight 2x dancing steel equally with trinkets. You should be hitting TEB on pretty much any proc unless you know you won't get the full 15s on the boss or there is another phase of high dps coming.
    Sorry about the word usage haha been beating myself up lately due to the low DPS I've been seeing . In my head I figured it was probably because we can't get those 5mil hits when a trinket procs so our average DPS is much lower especially if we wipe during the first or shortly after the first transition. It's bad enough that the 2x rogues on the engineers can catch up to me at times. But anytime the fight goes longer I've been able to do better so I figured that was the reason.

I think my biggest problem with AoC is I've dropped to 8.5k haste (I like even % numbers, don't ask why) and sometimes I just can't get optimal FoF usage on Garry and it's annoying to see half my hits miss/be parried or I have to cancel early (tank sometimes swings Garry around to face melee for some reason or during tank swaps). Another WW in a different raid group said that transition phases are the best times for FoF but I don't understand if I'm just unlucky in that every time I start the channel, he'll swap to my direction and cast annihilate which means I'm canceling it about 1-1.5 seconds early. I know it's not a hard and fast rule but I just feel like it's wasted effort vs just jab-BOK or something.

And good to know on the TEB. Will keep hammering away at it then You guys are always a great help!

Sorry about the word usage haha been beating myself up lately due to the low DPS I've been seeing . In my head I figured it was probably because we can't get those 5mil hits when a trinket procs so our average DPS is much lower especially if we wipe during the first or shortly after the first transition. It's bad enough that the 2x rogues on the engineers can catch up to me at times. But anytime the fight goes longer I've been able to do better so I figured that was the reason.

I think my biggest problem with AoC is I've dropped to 8.5k haste (I like even % numbers, don't ask why) and sometimes I just can't get optimal FoF usage on Garry and it's annoying to see half my hits miss/be parried or I have to cancel early (tank sometimes swings Garry around to face melee for some reason or during tank swaps). Another WW in a different raid group said that transition phases are the best times for FoF but I don't understand if I'm just unlucky in that every time I start the channel, he'll swap to my direction and cast annihilate which means I'm canceling it about 1-1.5 seconds early. I know it's not a hard and fast rule but I just feel like it's wasted effort vs just jab-BOK or something.

And good to know on the TEB. Will keep hammering away at it then You guys are always a great help!
    FoF, primarily in the first phase isn't always a good idea. Unless you've been tasked to AoE by your raid, you need to weave it in when there are no adds out. Generally, your job will be to do single target damage to Garrosh. In fact, by the end of the fight, you should see yourself as top or nearly top damage on Garrosh if you check just damage done to him. Your damage will really spike in P2 and P3 since both phases are more or less stand and deliver when you rotate CDs to negate his whirls. If you're wiping in P1 or in the first transition, your damage will be low since you aren't AoEing.

As for FoF during the transition, you should only be getting one or two transitions. If you get a second, you'll just AFK in a corner until you get ported back to his main room. FoF is really useful in the first transition because it can be used as a stun to hit all 3 adds in a group and prevent them from casting for a few seconds. That, paired with RoP or Leg Sweep make you a one-man interrupter for one group of adds if you can kill them quickly.

For the first couple months that we had the fight on farm, my guild wouldn't let me sit out of the fight on my WW. We have so much utility on that fight. 2 Stuns for the adds in the first transition, can soak a malice during bombardment, can negate every Whirl and Iron Star with at least one CD. We can even do the Engineer with a Transcendence clone placed there before the fight, if needed.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-07-21 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    We can even do the Engineer with a Transcendence clone placed there before the fight, if needed.
    So I am actually kiting our HM Garry kills, so I have not really focused on WW during that fight. how do we get a clone up where the engineer spawns before the fight starts?

Quote Originally Posted by bhambhoo View Post
    So I am actually kiting our HM Garry kills, so I have not really focused on WW during that fight. how do we get a clone up where the engineer spawns before the fight starts?
    Requires engineering and a goblin glider. Might work with levitate or slow fall.

I have a gearing question.

Currently I am equipped with HWF Korgra's Venom-Soaked gauntlets and my normal tier shoulders. I got off Nazgrim heroic tier gloves and heroic shoulders. Is it worth dropping my HWF gloves to Heroic tier gloves to upgrade my normal tier shoulders to heroic non-tier shoulders?
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post

Currently I am equipped with HWF Korgra's Venom-Soaked gauntlets and my normal tier shoulders. I got off Nazgrim heroic tier gloves and heroic shoulders. Is it worth dropping my HWF gloves to Heroic tier gloves to upgrade my normal tier shoulders to heroic non-tier shoulders?
    A link to your armory would be nice. Depends on if you have your 2pc, among other things.

10+ Year Old Account

Jock as is right, we could use some more info. With just the info you've provided it's practically a wash as the tier gloves and nazgeim shoulders don't have the best stats and the tier shoulders do.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Jock as is right, we could use some more info. With just the info you've provided it's practically a wash as the tier gloves and nazgeim shoulders don't have the best stats and the tier shoulders do.
    Sorry I knew i forgot something. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dragoon/simple

The basic questions you should be asking are: am I keeping my 2pc T16 bonus, and am I maximizing my ilvl while keeping a reasonable amount of haste?

The 2pc bonus is worth about 3-5% of your damage depending on your luck with Combo Breaker procs. That equates to a 3-4 overall ilvl increase over not having it. There are rare situations where, if you're in full SoO LFR and flex gear, dropping your 2pc for heroic gear makes sense, but that doesn't apply to your case. Your haste is in about the right place considering you have AoC, so mucking around with a couple pieces of gear shouldn't negatively impact your energy generation. With those thoughts out of the way, the only thing we have left to consider is: will replacing those pieces be an ilvl upgrade. As powerful as crit is as a stat, agility is much better. By pushing for the highest ilvl you can while still maintaining your 2pc, you should see the greatest DPS increase.

If I remember your question right, it was that you wanted to know if replacing your normal tier shoulders with non-tier heroic shoulders and replacing your HWF gloves with heroic tier gloves would be a good idea.

It's time for maths:
    option 1: HWF non-tier gloves + normal tier shoulders = 588 + 569 = 1157 ilvl

option 2: H tier gloves + H non-tier shoulders = 582 + 582 = 1164 ilvl

1164 - 1157 = 7 / 16 = .4375

/maths

Option 2 gives you an overall increase in ilvl of .4375 while allowing you to keep your 2pc bonus.

Let's also consider that Korgra's gloves are about the worst gloves you can have this tier, stat-wise. Replacing them with the tier gloves gives you the same stats and almost the same stat distribution as Korgra's but with better socket colors. All you're losing there is 6 ilvl from losing warforged on the gloves. It sucks to go from BiS normal shoulders to less-than BiS heroic shoulders, but the huge ilvl jump should make up for the sorta crappy secondaries with the sheer increase in agility.

So, in answer to your question, replacing the gear you have with the gear you got from Nazgrim should equate to a DPS increase. It won't be a huge DPS increase. You might not even notice the difference on most fights, but the math shows that it's there.

On a side note: Your haste is a tad on the high side for AoC. If you're hitting EB on CD and using FoF every now and then, you could probably lower your haste by a hair and put that toward more crit. Also, make sure to run your character through AMR after you replace and upgrade your gear. A couple of your gem choices are a bit off.

Hope that helped.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-07-25 at 09:45 PM.

Is there any TC or maths on using FoF even though your energy capped or will energy cap IF you have trinkets snapshotted? Or is it still a DPS loss overall? Assuming the other factors are true, rsk not coming off CD, boss wont move, etc, etc

I've heard some conflicting stuff from my guild monks on having AOC and still stacking haste to high heavens in order to get the most out of FoF snapshots.

Is there any TC or maths on using FoF even though your energy capped or will energy cap IF you have trinkets snapshotted? Or is it still a DPS loss overall? Assuming the other factors are true, rsk not coming off CD, boss wont move, etc, etc

I've heard some conflicting stuff from my guild monks on having AOC and still stacking haste to high heavens in order to get the most out of FoF snapshots.
    Trinket procs affect everything, not just Fists of Fury.

The whole snapshot thing is blown ridiculously out of proportion. Unless it's a proc that is going to fall off entirely (in which case why in the world would you have 3 chi and almost full energy?) you'd get the same effect from BoK. Having trinket procs up is no reason to ignore the rules of FoF because anything else you'd do is also affected by those same trinket procs.

TED is a special case, but realistically the snapshot portion of that is extremely small because you only lose ~6 stacks between the start and the end, which is only a few thousand Agility. It allows you to ignore losses of 10-20 energy, but that's only around one second of energy capping.

To add to what TT said, a case can be made for extending (snapshotting) the proc from Haromm's if it's at 0 seconds with FoF. You can haste cap for a second or two and not see a DPS loss.

Stacking haste past the energy cap is always going to be a DPS loss versus stacking crit, and it's about a wash with mastery. If you stack haste to decrease the cast time of FoF, you're also increasing your energy regen by about an equal amount. Even with a 4/4 upgraded HWF AoC, you're still going to be spending a majority of your time not channeling FoF. While you're not using FoF, you're also going to be energy capped, which is just as bad as energy capping during FoF. There's no point where having an obscene amount of haste with AoC will magically make FoF be better or allow you to break the rules of FoF. Add to that everything that TT said, and you can quickly see that the other monks in your guild are just wrong. Getting ourselves waist deep in algebra isn't even necessary. Their claims just don't pass the smell test.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-07-29 at 07:47 PM.

The basic questions you should be asking are: am I keeping my 2pc T16 bonus, and am I maximizing my ilvl while keeping a reasonable amount of haste?

The 2pc bonus is worth about 3-5% of your damage depending on your luck with Combo Breaker procs. That equates to a 3-4 overall ilvl increase over not having it. There are rare situations where, if you're in full SoO LFR and flex gear, dropping your 2pc for heroic gear makes sense, but that doesn't apply to your case. Your haste is in about the right place considering you have AoC, so mucking around with a couple pieces of gear shouldn't negatively impact your energy generation. With those thoughts out of the way, the only thing we have left to consider is: will replacing those pieces be an ilvl upgrade. As powerful as crit is as a stat, agility is much better. By pushing for the highest ilvl you can while still maintaining your 2pc, you should see the greatest DPS increase.

If I remember your question right, it was that you wanted to know if replacing your normal tier shoulders with non-tier heroic shoulders and replacing your HWF gloves with heroic tier gloves would be a good idea.

It's time for maths:
    option 1: HWF non-tier gloves + normal tier shoulders = 588 + 569 = 1157 ilvl

option 2: H tier gloves + H non-tier shoulders = 582 + 582 = 1164 ilvl

1164 - 1157 = 7 / 16 = .4375

/maths

Option 2 gives you an overall increase in ilvl of .4375 while allowing you to keep your 2pc bonus.

Let's also consider that Korgra's gloves are about the worst gloves you can have this tier, stat-wise. Replacing them with the tier gloves gives you the same stats and almost the same stat distribution as Korgra's but with better socket colors. All you're losing there is 6 ilvl from losing warforged on the gloves. It sucks to go from BiS normal shoulders to less-than BiS heroic shoulders, but the huge ilvl jump should make up for the sorta crappy secondaries with the sheer increase in agility.

So, in answer to your question, replacing the gear you have with the gear you got from Nazgrim should equate to a DPS increase. It won't be a huge DPS increase. You might not even notice the difference on most fights, but the math shows that it's there.

On a side note: Your haste is a tad on the high side for AoC. If you're hitting EB on CD and using FoF every now and then, you could probably lower your haste by a hair and put that toward more crit. Also, make sure to run your character through AMR after you replace and upgrade your gear. A couple of your gem choices are a bit off.

Hope that helped.
    How is Ricochet Spaulders heroic from Juggernaught compared to Nazgrims heroic shoulders? Just got those.

How is Ricochet Spaulders heroic from Juggernaught compared to Nazgrims heroic shoulders? Just got those.
    This is a long post. I made an effort to keep it as short as possible, but I have to drop a bit of knowledge on you to explain why you gear for certain stats and what to gem for. If you don't care about understanding stat weights and gemming, just read the last section of this post and save yourself some time.

Just telling you won't help you in the long-term. Instead, I'll illustrate which stats are better than others so you can understand and make these sorts of decisions on your own. Remember what I mentioned in my last post about gearing? I'll repost that part:
    We're going to add a bit to those basics once you start comparing heroic and hwf pieces to other heroic and hwf pieces. Instead of just worrying about haste, we'll be working to minimize mastery and maximize crit while keeping your hit and expertise at around 2550 each (the hit and exptertise cap). Your goal when comparing items of equal ilvl is to keep your 2pc T16 bonus, keep mastery to a minimum, get hit and expertise capped, don't go over your haste soft cap, and maximize your crit past that.

Stat weights:
    Hit to cap >= Expertise to cap > Agi >> haste to the soft cap > crit >> haste over soft cap >= mastery>strength=(DW) hit over cap.

Here's a more detailed list:
    1. If you're replacing a piece of tier gear with non-tier, make sure you're adding in a piece of tier elsewhere to keep your 2 piece.
    2. Get hit and expertise capped. You can even go a handful of rating below the caps if it will save you from going 100's of rating over. Expertise has no value over cap. Hit for 2H weapons has no value over cap.
    3. Maximize agility. You can't reforge for agi, so this will come mostly from gemming, enchants, and just getting higher ilvl gear.
    4. Get to your haste cap. That's 10k if you have AoC. Not more than 13k without AoC.
    5. Crit. There is no meaningful crit cap, so you'll end up stacking crit once you've satisfied the above criteria.
    6. Haste over the cap. It's about as good as mastery. Any haste above your soft cap will waste energy regen by generating more energy than you can spend. Once you're over the haste soft cap, haste just makes your auto-attacks faster.
    7. Mastery. Mastery just adds a chance to generate an extra stack of TeB every time you generate TeB. We already generate a lot, it's totally RNG based, and it just doesn't hold a candle to haste below the soft cap or crit.
    8. Hit over cap does nothing if you're using a 2H weapon. It adds a minimal amount of damage to your auto-attacks since it will reduce your chance to miss white hits with your off-hand weapon.
    9. It's not usually mentioned, but strength gives 1 AP per point. That's not very good, but it's something. It's a bit worse than mastery. If you see a weapon that's much higher ilvl than your main hand weapon but it has strength on it, it might be an upgrade just because of the damage and secondaries. You still shouldn't take it over a strength user if it's an upgrade for one of them.

Enchants and reforges follow this same logic with one exception. Anywhere that you can enchant agility, you should do so. Yes, even if it has a competing hit or expertise enchant for that piece of gear. The reasoning for this is that you can't reforge to agility. It's better to trade out a bit of haste, crit, or mastery through reforging than it is to lose out on an agility enchant to reach your hit and expertise caps.

Gemming:
    The stat weights listed above also apply to gemming. Also the part about agility enchants at all costs applies to gems. Gem for agility everywhere that you can.

Also note that the stats on an agility gem are half that on a gem for a secondary stat. A pure agility gem gives 160 agility while a pure secondary stat gem will give 320 of that secondary. Agility is worth a bit over twice the value of haste below your softcap and crit, so no gem will be worth more than a pure agility gem until you consider socket bonuses.

Socket bonuses:
    • Agility and crit socket bonuses are almost always worth matching gem colors for.
    • Haste socket bonuses are usually worth it.
    • Mastery socket bonuses rarely are.
    • Hit and expertise, it depends on how much you already have on your gear. If you have a lot of hit or expertise on your gear, natively, then you might not want to gem for hit or expertise socket bonuses.

Matching socket colors:
    1. Red sockets are the best sockets. Always gem for pure agility.
    2. Yellow sockets are almost as good if they accompany a good socket bonus like crit, agility, or haste. Gem Agi+Haste until you reach your softcap. Then, gem Agi+Crit.
    3. Blue sockets are an odd beast. If you're low on hit, they are amazing. Otherwise, they're typically the worst. You don't have many choices when gemming a blue socket. Either hit+agi or hit+expertise. In almost all cases, you'll put a hit+agi gem in a blue socket.

Should I gem for a socket bonus?
    The more sockets an item has, the larger the bonus. Typically, the first socket on an item will yield 60 of a stat for a bonus and 60 more of that same stat tacked on to that bonus for each extra socket. That means you'll get 60 bonus stats for matching a socket in an item with only one socket; 120 for matching the sockets in a 2 socket item, and 180 for a 3 socket item. The more sockets an item has, the more likely it is that you'll want to gem for the socket bonus since not gemming for a 3 socket bonus is like losing an entire gem's worth of agility for an agility bonus or half a gem's worth for any other bonus stat.

You have to weigh the color of the socket(s) required for the socket bonus to the bonus itself. If you have to gem 3 blue gems to get a mastery bonus, it's probably not worth it. The time that it's most likely that you'll skip a socket bonus is if the item has a single, low value socket in it and/or has a horrendous bonus. There's a ring this tier that has one blue socket and a crit socket bonus. I don't need more hit. Gemming for hit over the cap is worth very little, so I'm basically just giving up 80 extra agility to gain 60 crit by matching the blue socket for the socket bonus. Since 80 agility is worth way more than 60 crit, I give up the socket bonus for the extra agility.

If you ever decide to not activate a socket bonus, just put pure agility gems in each socket.

Stop the madness. Please, for the love of god, which item is better?
    Ultimately, for this decision, there are way too many if's to really make an informed decision off-the-cuff unless you really know what gear you're wearing and how much hit, expertise, haste, crit, and mastery you're gear into or out of. To do this, you can check your character's armory page. If you click the advanced link in the upper right area of the page and scoll down a bit, it will reveal what you're reforging to and out of as well as what you're gemming and enchanting for. If you add what you're gemming and enchanting for to what you're reforging to, then subtract what you're reforging out of for each stat, that should tell you which stats you have too much of (you have a negative or low positive amount gemmed, enchanted and reforged) or if you don't have enough and you're trying to get more (you have a positive amount of a stat from gemming, enchanting, and reforging).

If you're over hit cap, the Nazgrim shoulders will probably better. If you're under hit cap and over the haste cap, the IJ shoulders will be better.

After reading this section, you will hate me for bothering to read the previous wall of text.
    The great part about computers is that they can calculate the quadrillions+ combinations of gems, enchants, and reforges on our gear in a very short time. Ultimeately, you don't actually have to know anything I wrote in this post if you don't mind spending a few minutes configuring everyone's favorite robot. AskMrRobot.com will be able to tell you what's best. Just click that link, enter in your character. Once it's loaded, make sure to click the link that says "Update from armory" next to your character's name. Before you do anything else, click the "Edit Weights" button to open up a window that shows all your stat weights. They updated the stat weights section for WW, recently. That means you don't have to change any settings other than the haste cap. Since you're using an AoC, you shouldn't set it above 11k. I'd shoot for between 10 and 10.5k haste. If you ever manage to get a heroic TED to replace your AoC, just bump that number up to around 12750. After you get your haste cap squared away, click optimize. You should get a total score on the right side of your screen. In AMR, you can click on a piece of gear and switch it out with another piece. Do that for the gear you want to change, then click optimize again. Whichever total score is higher is usually (but not always) the right gearing choice.

On a side note, once WoD is released, Blizz is removing hit and expertise as stats, most gem sockets and enchants from gear, and relegating the reforgers to the void from whence they came (They're removing reforging altogether). Those changes should make it so you don't have to use a computer to tell you how to gear. It should streamline things, and I'll be happy when I'm able to look back on this post and tell people to forget they read it.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-07-30 at 09:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mh Should I change from a 4/4 Kor'Kron Spire of Supremacy to these, one of them being 4/4 or both 2/4. Softfoot's Last Resort/Korven's Crimson Crescent? :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Mh Should I change from a 4/4 Kor'Kron Spire of Supremacy to these, one of them being 4/4 or both 2/4. Softfoot's Last Resort/Korven's Crimson Crescent? :3
    This is covered in the first section of the guide. I recommend you give it all a read if you haven't, but here is the answer to your question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    1.1 Weapons
    Monks can use staves and polearms, or they can dual-wield one-handed maces, swords, axes, and fist weapons. The stats for each weapon is important in calculating the damage of your spells. Therefore, you should always place the most emphasis on upgrading your weapons.

1.1.1 Which to Choose?

Dual wield is (almost always) king. Here's a basic idea of how to choose your weapon:
    • You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed weapon that is ten item levels or less above both. Choice: dual wield. The difference between the two hand and dual wielding will be arbitrary at best.
    • You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed wepaon that is more than ten item levels above your main hand. Choice: two-hander. The difference in stats and weapon damage on the two-hander should be significant enough to show a difference between it and your mainhand.
    • Your Main Hand is the item level of current tier (let's say 496, which is Tier 14 "normal") and your offhand is that same main hand's Looking For Raid Version (let's say 483). A 496 staff drops. Choice: dual wield. Even with a worse Offhand, the differenge is neglible at best, and dual wield should still pull ahead.
    • Your Main Hand is the item level of the current tier (we'll say 496 again), but your offhand is from a previous tier (let's say 463). A two hander drops of item level 496. Choice: It depends. This is actually a more complicated question, simply because of the difference between your offhand and your mainhand. Theoretically, however, it would be advised to use the two-hander, but try to find a better offhand.

It is honestly always a hard choice when the 2H has much higher stats and item level, but it really comes down to the fact that we scale with our weapon damage and dual wield gives us the benefit of double-proccing Dancing Steel (amongst other things). Early on, when RPPM trinkets scaled with weapon speed, we did see MAJOR benefit in 2H - but unfortunately, that did not go live, and so a very, very slight delta still exists between DW and 2H.

Note, however, that in current tier - with Heroic Thunderforged and several different item levels, it is not going to be uncommon for a 2H to outperform DW. That is the problem with having a tier in which weapons with a 19 item level difference can drop - it will complicate things for you.