Poll: At what price will you consider new games to be too expensive?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New game prices seem a bit high for me.

I grew up playing games. I had a game cube and ps2. I now have a ps3. I also play a ton of hand held games. Sadly, I haven't found enough extra cash at one time to purchase a consoles game in a long time, at least not new. Add on top of that they often release DLC for extra cash. I still remember when I could get a new game for 30-40bucks. A new game is coming out for 40bucks called pokemon X & Y. It has a 3d feature (since its on the 3d), and tons and tons to do for literally months. I even got a remake of the Legend of Zelda OoT for 40bucks new. Revamped graphics, 3d function, and a second gameplay option for a harder challenge.

Now, call me weird, but the way I see it, I get a lot more for 40$ on my 3ds then 55$ on a consoles game that then throws in DLC for more money. Over the years, the prices on both have only gone up. I ask, at what point will the games start to become to expensive for you to look at them and go "Nope" and walk away? Ive already hit that point. I love games like GTA and other RPG games with vast open worlds. Its just the price has gotten to the point where I don't normally play games on my ps3 brand new.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2013-09-10 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Paid £60-70 for new Nintendo 64 releases, and PC games are cheaper now than they were 10 years ago. This is in the UK at least.

I don't buy games above 50 euro that is my rule. Tbh only game that I bought that was over 40 euro in last 5-6 years was Diablo 3. Cost me like 45 I think, worst purchase ever.

Games were actually way more expensive awhile back. I'm actually surprised the price of today's games havn't shot up yet. It costing more and more money to make these AAA titles. The prices will only go up now.

cheapshark.com

On topic, man games were cheaper awhile go for usa at least. I remember buying an n64 and super smash bro for like 200$ total? Was good stuff, then picked up pokemon snap awhile after fairly cheap as well brand new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming is actually cheaper now. Hell, look at the price of the launch PS4. How long did it take the PS3 to hit $400?

Be grateful Nintendo didn't continue dominating the scene. Average SNES game prices were $69.95 and some N64 games went for over a hundred bucks!

Huh? Games have been getting cheaper and cheaper since they were first introduced. Brand new AAA games are £25-30 (excluding the odd overpriced £40 Activision game), games 20+ years ago were £50-60 (twice as expensive), and if you take into account inflation, that's about £100 in today's money (more than 3 times as expensive)!

We've got it good now.

10+ Year Old Account
    you should buy stuff on the steam sale.. then u are set for the rest of the year.. too bad you missed it

Back when I first started buying games in 1998, buying my first console, games were the equivalent of 110 (modern) US Dollars when adjusting inflation and currency differences (just to get it accurate).

How someone can possibly complain about the prices today is beyond me. The low prices compared to realistic purchase power, added with the fact that there is a ton of sales for games, means that they are dirt cheap if you are patient enough to wait a bit after release. Even if you buy it straight away, it is incredibly cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Honestly I wait a few months on most games I just got Arkham City for $15 and Hitman Absolution for $15 as well. Just wait a while and the price will drop.

I bought a few games of the steam super sale.

Won't be buying any $60 games anytime soon.

Except GTA V, that game is definitely going to be worth the 60 bucks.

Like people have already mentioned, if you are smart you can get your PC games very, very cheap nowadays, even when they are just released.

Can't remember paying more than 30€ for a newly released AAA title in years. Like I said, PC. I don't know if consoles have options to buy games cheap on release date.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Huh? Games have been getting cheaper and cheaper since they were first introduced. Brand new AAA games are £25-30 (excluding the odd overpriced £40 Activision game), games 20+ years ago were £50-60 (twice as expensive), and if you take into account inflation, that's about £100 in today's money (more than 3 times as expensive)!

We've got it good now.
    I dont know where in gods name those prices came from, but Ill tell you this, Ive been buying games since I was 4, for my NES and SNES back in 94 and they were $20 American back then.

Maybe it was just cheaper here, but I remember when my mom took me into Toys R Us when I was 8 years old in 1998, my WWF wrestling game(for the Playstation 1) went from $20-$25 and I was PISSED! That was the first time I ever learned about price changes and inflation.

Maybe you guys were buying the games like THE SECOND after launch and getting raped, but I never paid more then $30 for a game when I was younger. And I KNOW my parents didnt because they were super cheap, my Uncle gave me my first PS1, they never could afford it for me.
    Last edited by colossus127; 2013-09-10 at 03:23 PM.

the only reason I find games more expensive now is cuz I am paying with my own money. Used to have parents buy everything so how much it costs didn't really matter to me lol .

Don't buy games when they first come out. I know it's tempting to want to play it the first day cause of all the hype but if you can wait a at least 1 year most games are 50-75% off the original price.

3ds games are cheaper cause mobile games tend to be cheaper.

Video game prices as a whole have stayed relatively the same, they're even cheaper nowadays when you factor in inflation. I remember wanting to buy a copy of FF3 for snes at toys-r-us but it was either $70 or $80 at the time. So way more in todays monies

I only buy a game at $60 if I really, really want it. So if any games go above that price I won't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    Won't be buying any $60 games anytime soon.

Except GTA V, that game is definitely going to be worth the 60 bucks.
    Hype... Hype never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus127 View Post
    I dont know where in gods name those prices came from, but Ill tell you this, Ive been buying games since I was 4, for my NES and SNES back in 94 and they were $20 American back then.
    Must definitely be a transatlantic thing. I also remember buying megadrive (genesis) games they were guaranteed to be a standard £39.99 back in the early 90's, so taking into account inflation that's 80 quid/100 bucks

I also noted that console games held their value over here for years and years. I assumed sega/nintendo forced the price onto the retailer.

Anyone remeber neo geo games? I have a sega magazine from about 92 and the games were priced at £100!

Deleted
    Think mega drive games were £30 at least back when my mum was buying me fifa for christmas lol. Games are crazy all over the place.

Black ops 2 was like £25 for a week in the UK everywere and is back on £39.99 again. Weird as there was nothing advertising it just seen it in a lot of shops then bam it was back up in price.