Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why are Blizzards consumers against their own interests?

Normaly when a gaming company tries to milk money off their player base via various ways the consumers are outraged.
    Take the case of left 4 dead 2 (almost being boycoted), capcom releasing sfxt characters with on disk dlc , rome total war 2 having the greek states playlable as dlc content and the list goes on.

The consumers usually complain on the forums, some do not buy the game and once in a while companies even back down.

But in blizzards case, there are some very vocal forum posters that defend blizzards financial decisions claiming that blizzard is a company, and even go so far as to insult other posters that are complaining.

Take hearthstone for instance, because its a really recent controversial issue.
    On one side the game is free to play, but on the other, compared to other online card games that are out there (duel of champions by ubisoft) or other free to play games models that are NOT pay to win (league of legends, dota 2, tf2) in this game it is alot harder to be competitive if you do not spend any money.

So you have the average joe coming up on the forum and saying he is not happy about it and sugesting to make it so that people who chose not to spend money. to still have a chance to play...and he gets shut down by other players calling him an idiot or troling him because blizz is a business.

My mind bogles and my jaw drops at this. Why do you, as a consumer care!? Do you have stocks at blizzard? Do you profit if they do?
    Why don't you suport Joe on the forum? You have alot to gain if he wins. Even if you want to spend monney on the game, youd still get more cards, and your friends that dont have as much monney as you do, might still play the game rather then say "oh screw it, i have no chance at this anyway".

so my question is. Why is it that only blizzards have such fans that they even go against their own financial interests in defendings blizz's sometimes questionable monney milking decisions?

Deleted
    there no people who would defend blizzard on such matters. examples please.
    without them your thread is pointless tbh...

Why not discuss this on the Hearthstone forum?

You assume people know their own interests.

the biggest problem for me is all the complaining within the community about blizzard really affects my enjoyment of the gameplay - I want to play the game, and I enjoy playing the game - I don't want to log in and listen to people complain constantly about a game that they are currently paying to play. And a lot of times, I don't agree with the complaints. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

So, you think it's "controversial" for a free to play online TCG to have microtransactions?

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    So, you think it's "controversial" for a free to play online TCG to have microtransactions?
    He's probably just one of those who believe they know the exact sweet spot of the price of cards or number of cards you should get for free.

It is pretty crazy. Blizzard is very lucky to have fans that not only throw money at them but ask for more ways to throw money at them and feel great about it.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    He's probably just one of those who believe they know the exact sweet spot of the price of cards or number of cards you should get for free.
    Or he's just clueless.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    spending money doesn't make you better skill wise

The problem is people spew out biased and incorrect arguments as soon as they see blizzard charging for any optional extra.
    Any packs you buy are random in contents, and offer no guarantee of giving anything useful.
    It is paying to get quicker access to something able to be earned through in-game means already.
    A business model which already applies to many respectable f2p titles.That is why people object to that sort of opinion.
    Do not assume that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, instead looking at the reasons why people disagree and you may find your view to be at fault.

People threw up their arms over the cosmetic helms when they are NO different to mounts or pets, if anything being less interesting than pets which are now functional and in the case of the lil'Ragnaros pet I believe having the highest attack of any elemental combat pet.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-09-11 at 12:49 AM.

its not controversial for a f2p game to have microtransactions. What is controversial is when you can't play the game properly UNLESS you spend monney on those microtransactions.

But that wasnt even my question. My question is why do people who complain about the price or the low amount of gold you get for wining matches, are being harassed on the oficial forums by other costumers?

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    Or he's just clueless.
    Isn't that what I said?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    its not controversial for a f2p game to have microtransactions. What is controversial is when you can't play the game properly UNLESS you spend monney on those microtransactions.
    But you can. You are given cards for free and given ways to get more for free. Plus there's even a mechanic to get use out of unwanted cards.

other free to play games models that are NOT pay to win (league of legends..)
    LOL that was funny, good one.

If you want to pretend League isn't pay to win and then in the same breath say that Hearthstone is pay to win then like... I don't even have words to describe the stupidity.

I don't really see the point in complaining about it, that's how the free to play market works for games not made by Valve. Besides, Hearthstone really isn't that pay to win, especially compared to something like League.

most F2p = P2W
    why do think F2P have more profit than P2P?

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped reading at Left 4 Dead 2.

Left 4 Dead 1 felt like a beta version of Left 4 Dead 2. Left 4 Dead 2 has better/more graphics, weapons, characters, zombies, items and levels. Did you seriously want more DLC like Crash Course? And if they released Left 4 Dead 2's features for L4D1 in DLCs it would end up costing more than $60. Not to mention they ended up throwing all of the campaigns from Left 4 Dead 1 in Left 4 Dead 2.

In short: Left 4 Dead 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>> L4D1/DLC

Oh, and I don't want WoW to go free to play, I'd rather pay $15 a month for the full game then have to buy additional fees for almost every single new feature that's released (SWTOR).
    Last edited by Agoonga; 2013-09-11 at 12:59 AM.

this wasnt the issue. The issue is why do people defend blizzards decision and bash other people who complain?
    I just named hearthstone as something that came up from the top of my head.

Want another example? fine.

When there was some data mining and people found xp boost elixir being sold on the blizzard shop, alot of people raged about it. As it is indeed a monney milking move from a company that already charges a fee. The result was that in every thread where some one would complain, another blizzard client would tell them to stfu or stop playing

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uh... I know at least three folks who are doing rather well on Hearthstone who haven't paid a dime.

you can still make gold in the game by winning and doing the quests that come up, and there are even achievements that reward gold for unlocking. gold is the Ingame stand in for Cash, which can buy all the decks you need, and get you the admission fee into arena.

I make enough for a deck (100g) every other day, roughly. Arena Admission is 150gold, which should take about a day and a half to accrue.

personally, I find Entering the Arena every other day or so more profitable, because even if you lose all your matches, you are still garaunteed rewards, sometimes being more gold, Dust for creating new cards, and every time I entered, at least 1 in the 5 reward boxes I got for participating was a deck of cards.

This "Money Sink" Everyone keeps talking about... I wonder where it is?

And then there's the OP's summation...
    so my question is. Why is it that only blizzards have such fans that they even go against their own financial interests in defendings blizz's sometimes questionable monney milking decisions?
    It's not only Blizzard's fans. Fans like this exist for all gaming companies. If you haven't found them then you haven't been looking hard enough.

this wasnt the issue. The issue is why do people defend blizzards decision and bash other people who complain?
    I just named hearthstone as something that came up from the top of my head.

Want another example? fine.

When there was some data mining and people found xp boost elixir being sold on the blizzard shop, alot of people raged about it. As it is indeed a monney milking move from a company that already charges a fee. The result was that in every thread where some one would complain, another blizzard client would tell them to stfu or stop playing
    It's simply because you have half the population with a level head and clear mind, and you have half the population that likes to bitch about literally everything no matter what.

So for your Hearthstone example, some people realize you can play the game just fine without spending a penny. Other people like to bitch because they're (arguably) at a disadvantage even though they can easily catch up just by playing the game.

As for your WoW example, it's because some people realized that them selling an experience potion doesn't have any impact whatsoever on the game for people who don't buy it. Other people like to bitch because for some reason they think that it will have a negative impact on them if other people level faster, even though in reality it has no effect on them at all.

Basically, people just complain about everything and then other people try to explain why they're wrong but the people that complain never listen, more or less.