Poll: Do you think Apple is capable of innovation?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I can honestly say I could not find a workstation level PC as good under the hood as the Mac Pro. And I did spend a fair amount of time looking. Every other multi CPU Xeon workstation made WAY too much noise for me to want to sit in front of all day.
    retail yes, custom...easy. Trust me if you spend the same amount of $$ for a workstation lvl PC a custom option would equal (if not better) than the Mac.

anyone who wants a serious workstation would invest in getting it built custom and not over the counter.

Deleted
    I'm not gonna miss Apple if they're fucked. It's not like they were ever innovators in the first place, they just made technology look pretty and easy to use. With a big price, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    problem is you can only refine things so far before it just the exact same thing with a new badge
    This can be quite true (and is a key reason why I haven't updated my iPhone in 6 years. :P). But I really don't see any "gimmicks" so much in the new iPhone other than computing power (which isn't a gimmick.).

But this isn't necessarily an Apple problem... it could simply be a user-limitation problem. I mean, take TVs for example.

They're really not innovating much in TVs, are they? All they can do is make bigger screens and higher resolutions at this point. Now they're resorting to "Smart TVs" and 3D gimmick glasses. Where else can a TV go? It's designed for quality movie watching and game playing... that's about it really. Nobody here is blaming Sony or Samsung for not "innovating" on TV or Disc technology, are they?

If Apple was to "innovate/refine" in the way people are talking - than they would have to expand into a new product market. Lets say.... portable video gaming for example.

All they would need to do is to take their iPad, flip it horizontal, slap some VERY nice functional D-pad and button controls on it and BOOM - they're now refining the hand held gaming market! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we'll find out if Samsung starts putting fingerprint scanners on their devices.

Deleted
    I don't believe they've been innovative since the release of the Iphone 3. They've been following the other big players recently and haven't done anything game changing in a long time, they've gotten a bit stuck in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    God wish those Apple haters could stop for one time.
    Can't you people just leave us alone? we are happy with our products.
    And what the hell do you want to innovate? putting a fcking hologram in a mobile? put a flying car in the mobile??

Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    God wish those Apple haters could stop for one time.
    Can't you people just leave us alone? we are happy with our products.
    And what the hell do you want to innovate? putting a fcking hologram in a mobile? put a flying car in the mobile??
    No need to get upset. Instead of pointless rage you could provide some real feedback/reasons why you think otherwise.

For example: "I am happy with my apple products because they xxxxxxxxx." Not that hard

The problem here is that many people don't understand what kind of company Apple is. Apple doesn't innovate per say. Pretty much every product they have produced has been invented by someone else. But here's the thing, Apple isn't an "Electronics" Company, they are a "Consumer Electronics" Company.

Apple takes all of that innovative technology, and refines and packages it in such a way that the average consumer can both understand it and desire it for purchase. This is what Apple does, and to be honest they are probably the best in the business at doing it.

Apple doesn't make products for tech geeks, they make them for average joes who couldn't tell you the difference between an OLED screen and a CRT screen. Most consumers don't care about specs, they care about what the product does. That was one thing Apple always pushes. They always advertise what their product can do, not what is inside it. Do you remember the old iPod ads? What did they show? They didn't show the details specs of their mp3 player. They showed people dancing with an iPod.

Companies like Samsung have only barely recently figured this out and started to change the way they market their devices, and their profits have skyrocketed as a result.

When the iPad came out it wasn't new, tablets had been out before. But apple made the tablet desirable for the average consumer They showed the market what they can do with "their" tablet, and people wanted it and purchased it. The same can be said for the iPhone, the App Store, even the Macintosh. This is what Apple has always done. I'm honestly surprised that people didn't realize it until just now.

Note: I actually like many of Apple's products. I so want to get a Mac-mini to use as a web server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
    No need to get upset. Instead of pointless rage you could provide some real feedback/reasons why you think otherwise.

For example: "I am happy with my apple products because they xxxxxxxxx." Not that hard
    Oh I wish I could but its sooo damn hard with all the hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    retail yes, custom...easy. Trust me if you spend the same amount of $$ for a workstation lvl PC a custom option would equal (if not better) than the Mac.

anyone who wants a serious workstation would invest in getting it built custom and not over the counter.
    I couldn't find an off the shelf cooling system that didn't make noise without going for liquid, which is more of trouble then its worth in my opinion. The custom systems also had much larger foot prints to house all of the cooling systems and the massive ATX motherboard with 16 DIMM slots.

I went from such a system using a pair of Opteron CPUs to the Mac Pro and have had no regrets.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically your point is that Apple is PlebTech? Colour me surprised (but not really).
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What many people don't understand regardless of their liking of or not of Iphone or Android, is that competition is ALWAYS good. We don't need ONE market leader, ONE innovator. We need many. The more the better. We need them to cut throat compete to the death, for every customer, we need to have them make a wide range of products, each competing for every customer. For the guy who wants a simple phone, for the heavy internet user, for the dude who wants to game on his phone, for the person who wants a cheap phone, for one that is willing to pay top dollar.

It is a fact, that Apple is no longer THE INNOVATOR, but they do try to bring out new features, to up their technology game etc. We no longer have ONE innovator, we have many each competing. And that is a good thing for the customer, and a good thing for the global economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things can only be innovated so far. Cars have been around since like 1900s they haven't changed that much. Microwaves over 40 years still the same. TVs can't really get any thinner or any bigger etc. There are limits to innovation.
    I like my iphone. It's easy to use and understand. There isn't buttons that light up and go dim and who knows what they do. It's just simple.
    The only thing I can think of that i can't do with my iphone is like.. Save a ms word document to it and remove it at another computer. Well my phone is not a flash drive so ..

Innovating != Inventing

It just means creating products that move the industry forward.

Anyone who denies that Apple has created products that has brought more expensive inventions down to a lower pricelevel or generally moved the industry forward is the biggest idiot on the planet. Seriously.

I'm no Apple fan, but the iPhone was completely fresh when it came out, and so was the Mac. There was nothing out there like it. Sure, they used parts that were already invented, but by that definition nobody has really invented anything in the computer industry for A VERY LONG TIME.

As for iPhone 5S, pretty sure that's the first phone with a fingerprint reader. Also pretty sure the new camera flash is not just innovative, but actually inventive (for once).

It's all about the apps. Tin is tin and now that most apps are cross platform their is less emphasis on the device which is Apple's main game. They jumped ahead of the game with IOS, it was a simple and easy to use OS and it enabled them to own the smart phone market in the early days, the days where Microsoft were left wayyyy behind. Since then Apple has been riding the same wave and has stood still. Just milking the cow with minor updates but pissing off customers with new adapters and accessories. Meanwhile Andriod is taking hold and going for the jugular.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

Since steve jobs has left, no they haven't really done any innovation. At this point they have an ipod, a medium sized ipod, and a huge ipod. Slap a apple logo on it and it will sell like hotcakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    "Their own spin" does improve products. That's how the iPod blew away the competition: its design was superior.
    The Zune was better in every possible way. Yet Ipod was better recieved due to marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by dooffie66 View Post
    The Zune was better in every possible way. Yet Ipod was better recieved due to marketing.
    Maybe that has something to do with the Zune being FIVE YEARS late?

Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Things can only be innovated so far. Cars have been around since like 1900s they haven't changed that much. Microwaves over 40 years still the same. TVs can't really get any thinner or any bigger etc. There are limits to innovation.
    I like my iphone. It's easy to use and understand. There isn't buttons that light up and go dim and who knows what they do. It's just simple.
    The only thing I can think of that i can't do with my iphone is like.. Save a ms word document to it and remove it at another computer. Well my phone is not a flash drive so ..
    so... like any modern phone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Maybe that has something to do with the Zune being FIVE YEARS late?
    It was still a superior product.

Of course, MP3 players are going extinct with the advent of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.