Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    Controls in games intrigue me a lot, and I notice them quite early on. WoW's controls are indeed very responsive and very smooth, but the main reason GW2's jumping puzzles do work better is jump control.

In WoW, once you jump, it's for a set distance and direction. There is nothing you can do to change where you've been pre-determined to land once you're in mid jump. So this means in any kind of jumping puzzle scenario, you'll have to make sure you position the character well enough that the pre-determined landing place will hit on the spot you want it to.

In GW2, you're able to move and change directions while in mid-air, and this has a significant impact. I could jump off a cliff, and if I was fast enough, push back and land exactly where I was on the ledge before I jumped. This also is how some of the trickier "jump, then quickly maneuver to the left to avoid [mechanic]" jumps work.

I was one of those evil people who tried building jumping puzzles in Rift. It was fun for me but I was disappointed with the final result because people were struggling to get through it only because of the pre-determined jumping aspect. If the game had had GW2's jump controls to control where you land even from mid-air, it would have been so much more smooth.

This is why I also wish for building/housing in GW2 especially, because people could make some amazing puzzles given the controls provided.

Edit: I apologize if this game off as game v game, I did not mean it that way, I only wished to clarify and explain the mechanic differences in place and why jumping puzzles work naturally better in one.
    I also dabbled a bit in making Rift jumping puzzles and discovered some oddities to their jumping physics. I accidentally created some sort of jump booster via the platforms I had and the walling off of some them. My character would jump at a consistent rate, and then launch off one of the platforms I created, causing me to over shoot a simple jump.

Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    Snip
    You hit the nail on the head with this in terms of why I can't stand jumping in WoW as compared to GW2. I never really managed to figure out why until you said that and it is exactly true. It is the lack of the ability to maneuver after having jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    funny how it's a billion times easier to gear up in WoW than GW2. You can get a full set of 496 gear in an hour if you're lucky just off of drops, then upgrade those to 504(?) then there is some 535 gear.
    You can buy a full set of gear off the AH for GW2 in a minute. It is much easier to gear in GW2 than in WoW, sorry.

Signature Created by Jassinta

WoW has had no tag mobs for a long time now but yeah timeless isle is GW2.0 honestly I left this shit game for a reason, don't want it in WoW.
    And yet you constantly hang around in the GW2 forums

Can we even call them jumping puzzles? They take 2 seconds and in 4 jumps... youre where you want to be... I want some in depth challenge jumping puzzles with mechanics.. they were SOOOO much fun, ESPECIALLY when there was a daily chest you could get from each one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalavaaris View Post
    Can we even call them jumping puzzles? They take 2 seconds and in 4 jumps... youre where you want to be... I want some in depth challenge jumping puzzles with mechanics.. they were SOOOO much fun, ESPECIALLY when there was a daily chest you could get from each one!
    All I can think is they got confused like another poster around here and thought Vistas were jumping puzzles and applied the WoW simplified mechanics to it.
    Are they really selling this as a feature?
    Valar morghulis

Honestly, youre right, they are a lot more like vistas than actual jumping puzzles. Give me a jumping puzzle that requires the proper use of gysers to complete. SOMETHING! I know they can do it after I saw the little jumping game in the Tortos room!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with this in terms of why I can't stand jumping in WoW as compared to GW2. I never really managed to figure out why until you said that and it is exactly true. It is the lack of the ability to maneuver after having jumped.

You can buy a full set of gear off the AH for GW2 in a minute. It is much easier to gear in GW2 than in WoW, sorry.
    If we're gonna talk like that then you can do the exact same in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    And yet you constantly hang around in the GW2 forums
    I still keep updated with the game yes, and a lot of these topics are posted on the front page when I check WoW news then go to forums. GW1 was my favorite game, makes sense so don't be mad.

I rarely post here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    yeah, no, this is just going to cause a fight

I'll just say I completely disagree.
    tell me any game that has it better and smoother than wow.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    tell me any game that has it better and smoother than wow.
    wow's animations are mediocre at best

- - - Updated - - -

I rarely post here anymore.
    you sure do post a lot here for rarely posting

Seems worth keeping an eye on... more interesting gameplay in the open world *might* get me to sub again.

Of course, if WoW wants to borrow mechanics from GW2, level- and gear-normalized battlegrounds would DEFINITELY get me to sub again.

Just skimmed through this thread, but have played both games regularly to this point. Most of you have no idea what you're talking about and are basing your thoughts on playing one game or the other exclusively while watching lolyoutube videos of the other game.

Basically, most of you have no idea what you're talking about.

My summary from personal experience after reading some of this thread:

GW2 pve content is still a joke compared to wow raiding

Timleless isle rips off gw2 style content

Timeless isle "jump puzzles" are not nearly as complex as gw2, but timeleless isle "jump puzzles" require you to clear/avoid difficult mobs along the way

Timeless isle is still mainly for casuals while the raid content is for the hardcore

Timeless isle still requires a certain amount of gear to be able to complete challenges on the isle. Read: not accessible to anyone at 90

GW2 cosmetic grinds are still mostly significantly grindier/more hours needed than wow

GW2 "physics" still aren't as good (though they are quite good, compared to most) than wow.

Wow has had "anybody can attack it and get credit" since the beginning of MoP

Blizzard is good at jacking other companies ideas and making them better

Most of you are complete idiots (not just on guild wars 2 sub-forum, but on mmo-champion in general)

Mod edit: Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-09-14 at 11:25 AM.

Alright, that's it. We're done here. Game vs. game stuff is not productive at all.

-- Fencers