Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Black people and profilling.

As a european i was aware of the black people minority in the US somehow was being profiled. What i did not know was how openly this is taking place.
    I just saw this video - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=710_1379269614 - and was extremely surprised if this kind of things really is going on.

Personally, without knowing anything about the case, it also makes me think if this happened to trayvon martin as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happens. But fear not, i'm sure some commenters will tell you they were being followed because they are known shoplifters, but for some reason the store hasn't caught them and or banned them from shopping there.

Shouldn't this be titled "teenager profiling"? Who do you suppose the most likely group to shoplift is? I'd guess teenagers walking aisles with no shopping carts or baskets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Profiling in general is what got humans this far and if you look at the video they are acting suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyGG View Post
    As a european i was aware of the black people minority in the US somehow was being profiled. What i did not know was how openly this is taking place.
    I just saw this video - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=710_1379269614 - and was extremely surprised if this kind of things really is going on.

Personally, without knowing anything about the case, it also makes me think if this happened to trayvon martin as well.
    The black kid should hide behind an aisle and jump out and punch him in the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The black kid should hide behind an aisle and jump out and punch him in the nose.
    That'll show him how totally innocent the kid he was following actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    do you have to avoid ever being suspicious of someone because they're black?
    What, you didn't get the memo? If anything bad happens to a black person, it's because of systemic oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    Profiling in general is what got humans this far and if you look at the video they are acting suspicious.
    ya its probably got more to do with the fact that they are teenagers than that they are black
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    It happens. But fear not, i'm sure some commenters will tell you they were being followed because they are known shoplifters, but for some reason the store hasn't caught them and or banned them from shopping there.
    Hmm speaking of this I was being followed around a store recently in Manhattan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That'll show him how totally innocent the kid he was following actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

What, you didn't get the memo? If anything bad happens to a black person, it's because of systemic oppression.
    That's not true but it's easy to be suspicious expecially if you have experienced quite a bit of racism, you begin to wonder if things are happening because of racism or just because. There's a recent study on it linking it to some kind of very minor ptsd.

Even if you ignore what Nixx is saying, about the fact that you can be suspicious of a black person without it being racially motivated, the big problem with this is: so what? There are 300 million people in the US. Let's say 50% white, and 50% of those male. 75 Million white males. You have a video of one following a black teenager around. If 1% of those 75 million are the type to profile, that means there are 750,000 of them. Yes, this shit happens. It's literally impossible for it not to happen. How many people do you pass in a given year of your life? Tens, hundreds of thousands? All it would take is .01% for this to happen if you pass by ten, .001% for a hundred thousand. And that's in a year. As a white kid I had rocks thrown at me and was told I didn't belong in a certain neighborhood because of my skin color. That's not a case of some systematic social problem, it's a case of assholes. The real questions are: How many white people didn't give a fuck about this black kid walking around? What legal power does this white person have to persecute the black the kid? What does this person do about his suspicions?

Not only is there no proof that this was due to his skin color, no harm came to him. I know we live in this weird time where people think no one ever has the right to be suspicious of them, but this shit is getting ridiculous.

Also, do you think there's no one in Sweden, the UK, or many other European nations doing this to Muslims? Because I guarantee you that there are. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few of the posters in these forums from those countries doing it.

There's a recent study on it linking it to some kind of very minor ptsd.
    I think calling it PTSD is going a bit far, but it's an understandable rationale. People, despite what many may think, are rational creatures who will try to understand what is going on around them, though they aren't always the best at it. Past experiences play a big part of that and the way people think. If they've been confronted by racism repeatedly it becomes expected. While it may be a rational assumption to them, it still remains an assumption. We aren't able to know each others thoughts, and thus often make assumptions about people's motivations based upon the motivations of people we've previously met.
    Last edited by Xenofreak; 2013-09-16 at 01:06 AM.

Shouldn't this be titled "teenager profiling"? Who do you suppose the most likely group to shoplift is? I'd guess teenagers walking aisles with no shopping carts or baskets.
    This. Also it's the Whites population which is smaller with every passing day, so watch out who you call a minority :/
    S.H.

The trolls that are obsessed with bashing black people should arrive in 5,4,3,2

Anyway, EVERY one profiles to a certain degree. You may profile someone by the way they speak, write(grammar Nazi), their weight, their clothes, their race, religion, etc. People are naturally cautious/judgmental

The issue is if we allow these thoughts to escalate, sometimes profiling escalates to murder (plenty of cases like this on the news)

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Hmm speaking of this I was being followed around a store recently in Manhattan.
    I am white, I have been followed around in stores by security.

Perfectly fine with it

Id rather keep my business than try to be politically correct to appease some neckbeards on the internet. Not to mention my neighbor was raped by 3 "urban youth." And nobody here knows the backstory, maybe they just got some stuff stolen, found out via cam, and they got away with it.

Proud of that store manager, would give him a high five.

And guess what? We got followed when we were kids too... I remember opening up some toy and getting yelled at instantly.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-09-16 at 01:11 AM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

This is just hilarious.

So I walk into shop and some random guy follows me to make sure I don't steal? Ok kewl, is he gonna follow me outside as well and make sure the stuff he sold me is ok?

Capitalism is evil.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    This is just hilarious.

So I walk into shop and some random guy follows me to make sure I don't steal? Ok kewl, is he gonna follow me outside as well and make sure the stuff he sold me is ok?

Capitalism is evil.
    Wait, not wanting people to steal shit from the store that employs you is evil? There's some entitled, whiny shit on this board, but this might take the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Of course if you opt to assume racism in ambiguous situations, it will increase the amount of racism you've "experienced". If experiencing racism increases the likelihood you'll perceive something as racism, then it's going to be stuck in a spiral.
    Experiencing actual racism leads to increased sensitivity to things that can be perceived as racist. Actual racism leading to more sensitivity.

Capitalism is evil.

This is relevant to the discussion how?

I'm sick of black people profiling me as well. Oh wait, wrong thread?
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Wait, not wanting people to steal shit from the store that employs you is evil? There's some entitled, whiny shit on this board, but this might take the cake.
    Who in the hell gives right to anyone to suspect me of doing anything in the first place, the guy following those kids or anyone else is plain rude.

And yes they are evil, I bet he doesn't give that much attention to the stuff he's selling, it's all about the money he can loose.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Who in the hell gives right to anyone to suspect me of doing anything in the first place, the guy following those kids or anyone else is plain rude.
    Because people steal, it happens. I can even show you stats that it happens. Until it stops, stores will profile.