OLS: Casual vs. Hardcore should be renamed Civilian vs. Soldier

Just a thought. WoW is not real life - it is a game that gives you a virtual life in a made-up computer world, but it still tries to corrolate to real life with things like professions, money, fighting, exploring, traveling. And there is this huge debate about casual vs. hardcore and in thinking about it last night I was reminded of how the armed forces work. You don't have to join the army (any armed force) barring draft during times of war or countries like Israel where you do have to join the army. Also, you don't have to raid. Both are sort of an added responsibility that you've taken on because you wanted to, for whatever reason. Being in the army is not fun, it is dangerous and hard work. And in the fantasy land of Azeroth (where everything is supposed to be fun) raiding, too, can prove to be more "work" than fun sometimes. Getting flasks and feasts together, coming up with strats, raiding leading, calling shit out on vent, dealing with people you like in guild but are just not good raiders. Of course in the end you do it because you enjoy it (raiding in wow that is), but I would laugh in your face if you told me raiding is fun 100% of the time and you never once just wanted to ninja log on a particularily bad boss or didn't feel like farming the mats for the raids stuff that night. And think about it, you aren't saving Azeroth by doing 5-mans and heroic scenerios - you need to be in Icecrown! or Dragon Soul! you need to bring down the Lich King or Yogg to save Azeroth and you aren't doing that in a 5-man... you have to be a raider in Azeroth to save the world. LFR even fits into this. LFR to me is like watching Saving Private Ryan, a great flick really makes you feel like you were there. But 3 hours later its over and you are back to your civilian life - not worrying about how tomorrow you have to go right back into the shit with the Germans (in WoW's case your raid group and whatever boss you are stuck on.)

Obviously you cannot compare WoW to real life but I'm sure you can see some analogies. For the soldiers out there I mean absolutely no disrespect towards you either, I honor your service and sacrifice.

This is nothing more than a for fun post.
    Your thoughts? Am I a wack job? should I lay off the pot? Does anyone see what I see here at all?
    Last edited by slime; 2013-09-14 at 08:34 PM.

This thread will be awful.

If we are going that route should just label them Air Force and Marines.

Deleted
    IB4WhatIsTheOPSmoking

OP's ADD level is pretty impressive. Somehow I understand what you are trying to say. No it won't work, the community is not good with change.

I wasn't actually looking to make any changes, this was just some theorizing. OLS stands for On the Lighter side, so nothing serious here - just wondering if anyone can see the correlation between casual vs. raider in wow, to civilian vs. soldier in RL.

Anyhow thanks for the replies and your time

I realize you said "I mean no disrespect" but really, to compare hardcore raiders to actual soldiers is a complete and utter joke.

15+ Year Old Account
    this somehow WAS the model during TBC and Vanilla. or should I say when raids used to be harder and raid progression was a pain in the a**. newcomers had to go through Kara and all the lowbie raids before grabbing enough gear to raid higher tier instances.

but back then WoW was not all about "raiding" like now. even before that during vanilla many players never experienced high tier raids. I liked it better personally, where the playerbase was divided into "casual players" "PVPers" "Raiders" and everyone had something to do in the game. not many people were intrested in raiding.

that's what I understood from OP's post anyway.

This thread is going places...i can feel it.

Well, no, I don't see any correlation. Mainly because civilians accomplish a lot more than soldiers, while hardcore accomplish more than casual. Doesn't really make any sense, in my opinion.

I completely agree with you OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy wall of text batman!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Just a thought. WoW is not real life - it is a game that gives you a virtual life in a made-up computer world, but it still tries to corrolate to real life with things like professions, money, fighting, exploring, traveling.

And there is this huge debate about casual vs. hardcore and in thinking about it last night I was reminded of how the armed forces work. You don't have to join the army (any armed force) barring draft during times of war or countries like Israel where you do have to join the army.

Also, you don't have to raid. Both are sort of an added responsibility that you've taken on because you wanted to, for whatever reason.

Being in the army is not fun, it is dangerous and hard work.

And in the fantasy land of Azeroth (where everything is supposed to be fun) raiding, too, can prove to be more "work" than fun sometimes. Getting flasks and feasts together, coming up with strats, raiding leading, calling shit out on vent, dealing with people you like in guild but are just not good raiders. Of course in the end you do it because you enjoy it (raiding in wow that is), but I would laugh in your face if you told me raiding is fun 100% of the time and you never once just wanted to ninja log on a particularily bad boss or didn't feel like farming the mats for the raids stuff that night.

And think about it, you aren't saving Azeroth by doing 5-mans and heroic scenerios - you need to be in Icecrown! or Dragon Soul! you need to bring down the Lich King or Yogg to save Azeroth and you aren't doing that in a 5-man... you have to be a raider in Azeroth to save the world.

LFR even fits into this. LFR to me is like watching Saving Private Ryan, a great flick really makes you feel like you were there. But 3 hours later its over and you are back to your civilian life - not worrying about how tomorrow you have to go right back into the shit with the Germans (in WoW's case your raid group and whatever boss you are stuck on.)

Obviously you cannot compare WoW to real life but I'm sure you can see some analogies. For the soldiers out there I mean absolutely no disrespect towards you either, I honor your service and sacrifice.

This is nothing more than a for fun post.
    Your thoughts? Am I a wack job? should I lay off the pot? Does anyone see what I see here at all?
    FYI they arnt paragraph brakes... They are subject changes.

What the hell are you trying to talk about?
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 13 lines of text, really huge wall there, comparable to that wee one in China.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont ever want to feel those feels i felt that day take to the place i know! Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I honor your service and sacrifice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

I vote for Bill Payers vs Endlessly complaining, want to feel special bill payers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    I vote for Bill Payers vs Endlessly complaining, want to feel special bill payers
    youre welcome... think about it
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"