Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Same FPS in WoW coming from an i5-2500k to an i7-3770k and Gtx 770

Now why is it I get like a 2fps increase in WoW when I just put a new i7-3770k in my system? I literally get the same fps as I did on my i5-2500k in shrine. Everything in on ultra, multisampling is on 1x. 30fps in shrine on a high pop (full) server should be a lot higher shouldn't it?

And I also noticed that whenever I go to the start screen and back to desktop there's a second delay where it freezes and is basically a windowed version of the start screen as it's minimizing. I swear, I better not of gotten a lemon processor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you go from a 2500k to a 3770k? The performance increase is VERY minimal.

Putting that aside, both running at stock?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is for now, waiting on my new cooler to arrive to do serious overclocking. But 40fps in the world does not sound like it should be that low. I was getting that and higher out in the world on my i5 -_-.

While turning on a mount flying you can notice a slight input lag and a very short delay and it drives me crazy to have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried disabling hyper threading?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Stock, those have nearly the same performance. I would not expect to see much of a difference. 5fps at most.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to say, but you spent money for no reason. You should have just overclocked the i5.

According to This comparison You'd say ~8% increase in WoW. That, however, is on a flightpoint run which doesn't involve a whole lot of CPU strain.

Realistically speaking, at stock, you can expect at most a 5% gain during loaded situations. 40 FPS +5% = 42 FPS, about 2 FPS gained.

Something seems off..

I ran WoW on Full ultra specs on an i5-3570k and a Gtx 670 4gb and NEVER went below 70fps even in raids

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    Something seems off..

I ran WoW on Full ultra specs on an i5-3570k and a Gtx 670 4gb and NEVER went below 70fps even in raids
    At what resolutions, including shadows? I do sincerely doubt you do at 1080p, 8xaa

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    Something seems off..

Here we go again............

* User was infracted
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-09-14 at 06:20 AM.

You've just discovered the secret: your processor doesn't matter that much. More and more, games are dependent on your GPU, and as long as your CPU is fast enough to serve up those polygons to your GPU to render, then it won't increase your FPS at all, the CPU based stuff isn't taxing your processor anyway. My Phenom II X4 isn't any worse than your i7 for the majority of the games out there. And as gaming is all I do on my computer, I saved money on my processor and motherboard. :P

What other people have said. Get an OC on that chip and let us know how it goes. WoW is pretty CPU dependent and going to a 4.5Ghz OC should boost it significantly under load.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    do your research before wasting your money, and i7 will give very little increase in performance (game wise) than an i5.

Quote Originally Posted by Charo View Post
    You've just discovered the secret: your processor doesn't matter that much. More and more, games are dependent on your GPU, and as long as your CPU is fast enough to serve up those polygons to your GPU to render, then it won't increase your FPS at all, the CPU based stuff isn't taxing your processor anyway. My Phenom II X4 isn't any worse than your i7 for the majority of the games out there. And as gaming is all I do on my computer, I saved money on my processor and motherboard. :P
    MMORPGs like WOW, SWTOR and Guild Wars rely heavily on CPU power. So does games involving a large amount of characters like the Total war games, Starcraft, Diablo and more. The graphical quality of each individual character is reduces in favor of having hundreds if not thousands on the screen.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

15+ Year Old Account
    I run 3770k at 4.5GHz and gtx 780 and I can tell you, your best bet is to reduce shadows by one notch. I can keep everything else on ultra although I play on low population server so I don't have that problem with shrine. Furthermore, try to toy around with 'reduce input lag' and the other option that go with it. Have personally both of those enabled.

Oh and the performance you should be expecting if you do overclock close to me should be mostly maxing outdoor world (+60) with occasional drops to mid 40's. Same goes to 25 man raids, the more there's stuff going on, closer to 40 you are going to drop. That's as low as it usuallu gets only some rare occasions should you fall below 40 (sha, nalak..?).

Deleted
    You just learned that an i7 is practically useless for gaming.

That's why unless you do 3D/video editing/etc.. most gaming build have an i5 and you put the extra cash either into a better GPU or an SSD.

Deleted
    You wasted your money.

No, he discovered the open secret that there is no point spending the extra money to buy an i7 over an i5 for WoW because the only difference is a minimally higher clock speed and hyperthreading, and the minimal FPS gain can basically be attributed to the higher clock speed of the 3770K.

multi-monitor?

While this is somewhat true, it actually is the number of threads that doesn't matter after a certain points hence why i7's aren't that better than i5's in most games. On the other hands, IPC and higher mhz do help a lot so overclocking is still a recommended thing to do, specially in MMOs.

But yeah, i7's are overrated, they cost almost 50% more than i5's and all you get is 2 extra MB of L3 cache which is unnoticeable at that point and you get hyper threading which is only useful in certain non-games situations like file compression, rendering and benchmarks.

I sell computers and a lot of gamers that want a new computer INSIST on getting an i7 and most of them don't believe me when I told them that all they need is an i5. I can't insist much since I'm the seller but at least I tried do inform them, after that it's not my problem anymore :P
    Last edited by Warrax; 2013-09-16 at 03:54 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Now why is it I get like a 2fps increase in WoW when I just put a new i7-3770k in my system? I literally get the same fps as I did on my i5-2500k in shrine. Everything in on ultra, multisampling is on 1x. 30fps in shrine on a high pop (full) server should be a lot higher shouldn't it?

And I also noticed that whenever I go to the start screen and back to desktop there's a second delay where it freezes and is basically a windowed version of the start screen as it's minimizing. I swear, I better not of gotten a lemon processor.
    No no no...

If you have Sandy Bridge, there's really no point in upgrading to Ivy Bridge or even Haswell.
    The upgrade in at least gaming, is minimal.

Waste of money like some other people here say.

What you should focus on is getting a stronger GPU, but if you bought Geforce GTX 770 then you are quite set, on that front, per my opinion.
    Though, GTX 770 is a minorly upgraded GTX 680, sneaky Nvidia, but that's how it's always been.
    On benchmarks I think GTX 770 gets on average 2-3-4 more FPS then GTX 680 does.

I'm waiting for AMD Radeon HD 9000 series coming out hopefully in october to see how they fare.

Also, WoW is an old game, sure it's been upgraded a lot over the years, but throwing newer hardware at it won't really see super FPS boosts.

You reach a cap in WoW, and when you reach that cap, in hardware, then it halts drastically.

Maybe SLI / Crossfire can boost FPS by a bit, not knowledgeable on that front. At least not when it comes to WoW.
    Though I hardly think anyone puts together an expensive SLI / Crossfire system mainly to play WoW, depends I suppose.

CPU architecture past the i line second generation has halted by quite a bit, no longer are we seeing high boosts to what the CPU upgrades can get done for processing power.
    Depending on what you use the CPU for, I guess a hardware person can argue a bit on that one.
    Though, for the average jock wanting a gaming computer, it's pretty much like that.

I'm still sitting on a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, dual core CPU.
    It's still kicking, giving decent performance even in newer games.
    Though when playing the newer games it's stuck on 90-100% use, so it's definitely a bottleneck, hehe =)
    I should upgrade soon, but haven't felt like wanting to throw the needed money at it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    While this is somewhat true, it actually is the number of threads that doesn't matter after a certain points hence why i7's aren't that better than i5's in most games. On the other hands, IPC and higher mhz do help a lot so overclocking is still a recommended thing to do, specially in MMOs.

But yeah, i7's are overrated, they cost almost 50% more than i5's and all you get is 2 extra MB of L3 cache which is unnoticeable at that point and you get hyper threading which is only useful in certain non-games situations like file compression, rendering and benchmarks.

I sell computers and a lot of gamers that want a new computer INSIST on getting an i7 and most of them don't believe me when I told them that all they need is an i5. I can't insist much since I'm the seller but at least I tried do inform them, after that it's not my problem anymore :P
    Friend of mine that works at a computer store tries to tell his customers the same.
    They want i7 over i5, higher capacity SSD over a lower capacity since lower capacity SSD's has lower write speed, and the write speed HAS to do something to make games go quicker for sure (doh!).

As he's a seller at a store though, he has to give the customers what they want, that's just how it is.

Though like you say, same for him, he has people coming in all the time, putting together a pure gaming computer that will 95% be used for gaming.
    Putting in i7-4770k and some even i7-3930k for the 2011 socket.

Each to their own though, each to their own...

- - - Updated - - -

Bit off-topic this one but, oh well.

Working at that computer store, for like 3 years now I think, my friend is constantly amazed at the general stupidity of most people in having no clue about computer parts.
    I know there's a lot of clueless people even working at many computer stores, but most people shopping for a computer doesn't even listen to the person working there that at least has a bit experience.

Many of the buyers just use this line:

"Well, I have this friend that told me otherwise, he's a real computer genius, so I'm going with what he says.
    Since I'm sure he's more knowledgeable then any of you guys working at this computer store."

Also, tons (no, I'm not overexaggerating here) of Mac users, comes into this computer store and blatantly pushes out that Mac is much stronger then your general computer (PC).
    Of course they don't listen to a thing anyone at the computer store tells them.

They come in, look around, doesn't buy anything, wastes the time of the people working there about how great Mac is compared to PC's with Windows and just leaves.

It's a hopeless world we live in =) *giggle*
    Last edited by Kunisan; 2013-09-16 at 04:30 PM.
    Field Marshal, YUH, 'nuff said.
    /bonk