Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    He is unable to provide you clear or valid data simply because there is none. In the cast of this 520 iLvl mage, Frost sims highest for him, unless he has weirdly itemised gear(hit/crit HC Scenario gear, etc.). I know that your counter argument will be "SIMCRAFT IS INACCURATE", but if simcraft confirms common sense then that's good enough for me.

Besides, how can you even speak of Frost's performance in a Heroic environment when people are unable to enter Heroic, or down Heroic bosses in ilvl 560-570 gear? As long as we are talking about Frost's current situation then the only thing that matters is how our ilvl 530 average frost mage performs in normal modes.

@Ilya- If you cant use common sense and need concrete, undeniable numbers then I guess we will wait 5-6 more weeks. Iv been playing this game a long time and its been 99% on my Mage and I have quite a bit of experience with all three specs. I played frost all last tier until I could no longer ignore the 20-30% gap between a frost and the other 2 and there is data to back that up. Now do you think a new mastery and a Icelance buff made up 20-30%? No it did not. Nothing has changed, we still haste cap often and with the rppm nerf they fucked the only thing frost had going for it, 50% meta and 30-40% trinket uptimes. So now mastery is only a little but more attractive how dose this close a 30% gap? We are a pure dps class, all we do is damage so why would you not play the spec that does the most? This goes with my statement that frost is a detriment to your raid. If you can do even 5% more damage over the course of a fight that's 3-5 million damage and I can clear remember a few sub 5 million HP wipes on Heroic Lei Shen. You play a pure dps class, stop being stubborn and play the best spec, which for frost is ~535 ilvl and below.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got 2pc, and it drastically changed/improved how Brain freeze increases damage.

It's a type of skillcap that makes snapshotting and alter time seem basic as all hell.

If you take anything from the frost chat, at least give it some more time. Behind? Yeah probably. Bad? No way.

The general thing is if you haven't quite got it yet (lol)

Is play the spec you enjoy/perform in, I went arcane as it was meant to be the better spec (probably is) but I'm finding it useless for me due to mana management and movement requirement. The addition of icy floes also is throwing another element into the mix (what the hell is up with having to use "charges" anyway) so finding it a bit too much and I am a vet in retrospective raiding terms.

I did the same end of ToT HC progression going to Fire to perform more dps of which it did (WHEN I got lucky with combustion and rng) but overall the dps increase was about 5-10k on some fights when performing to the upper level on ST.

As such I am heavily debating going back to frost at 547 ilvl due to not performing as best as I can the issue however I have is I just joined a new guild so wish to perform the best and people slating the frost spec don't exactly help

For ref: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ystra/advanced
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-09-16 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    How anyone can do low dmg as a mage is beyond me. Prob the easier class I've played...loved it as an alt, just braindead dps and still do well. :P
    That's why any idiot who rolls a Mage tops every raid encounter in DPS!

Please, almost every single DPS class/spec in the game has difficulty within a arms throw of each other. Frost DK's Destruction Warlock's, Shaman's, they are all quite easy to play.

Skill doesn't really come from your "rotation" anyways. It's mostly about raid/buff/debuff awareness and taking advantage of such.

As to the OP, let him play whatever he wants, at 520 item level all specs are rather close, however Frost does fall behind the others as item level increases. But if he is much better at Frost, let him play Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    As to the OP, let him play whatever he wants, at 520 item level all specs are rather close, however Frost does fall behind the others as item level increases. But if he is much better at Frost, let him play Frost.
    Posts like these are what makes inexperienced raid leaders that can't judge for themselves bench players that shouldn't really be benched. Yeah sure Frost falls short in higher ilvls but also you gotta consider the average DPS of the OP's raid. If we're talking about a group that's pulling 190K DPS then believe me, a frost mage can easily be competitive.

You gotta put things into perspective. If the OP is asking a forum what spec his mage friend should play, then believe me the extra DPS that comes with Fire or Arcane over Frost won't really matter.

Why do all these posts end up being Frost vs. the world...

And idiotic posts like "OMEEGEE mage specs are so easy to play" should just be reported and generally considered an infraction.

Deleted
    I'm a mage, and I don't think you should let everyone play what they want. It's such an utter bullshit saying that it only matters for top 100 guilds. It most certainly doesn't. It matters for any guild stuck in any encounter on any skill level. It could help your guild get a week's progress and that is amazing and should never be ignored.

At 520 though? Frost would probably perform best if he's not used to the class. Arcane will be slightly better if he can handle the spec, but fire shouldn't be tried until he has 530+ imo.

Unless you think it doesn't matter how he performs. Then he can play whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    I'm a mage, and I don't think you should let everyone play what they want. It's such an utter bullshit saying that it only matters for top 100 guilds. It most certainly doesn't. It matters for any guild stuck in any encounter on any skill level. It could help your guild get a week's progress and that is amazing and should never be ignored.

At 520 though? Frost would probably perform best if he's not used to the class. Arcane will be slightly better if he can handle the spec, but fire shouldn't be tried until he has 530+ imo.

Unless you think it doesn't matter how he performs. Then he can play whatever.
    Specs might be in better in theory but if the player isn't comfortable with it then your argument is moot. We don't have to know how to play every spec. Top guilds play whatever spec is top so they don't have to worry about it. Ignorance of guild leaders forcing players to stay a particular spec is the problem, not the player who wants to only play Frost.

Giving ilvl thresholds is garbage for specs. I'm ilvl 543, still play Frost, still outperform my Arcane and Fire specs. Why? Because I enjoy it and don't fall asleep playing it.

Outside of the world race to heroic kills, it doesn't matter what spec you play. As of now there isn't any boss that requires you to pay a particular spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    Posts like these are what makes inexperienced raid leaders that can't judge for themselves bench players that shouldn't really be benched. Yeah sure Frost falls short in higher ilvls but also you gotta consider the average DPS of the OP's raid. If we're talking about a group that's pulling 190K DPS then believe me, a frost mage can easily be competitive.

You gotta put things into perspective. If the OP is asking a forum what spec his mage friend should play, then believe me the extra DPS that comes with Fire or Arcane over Frost won't really matter.

Why do all these posts end up being Frost vs. the world...

And idiotic posts like "OMEEGEE mage specs are so easy to play" should just be reported and generally considered an infraction.
    Nothing about my post is incorrect. I mentioned that if he plays better in Frost then he should stick to it. But it's a fact that Frost falls behind in higher level gear. (Assuming equal skill of course)

However if he himself does better DPS in Frost, then he should stick to Frost.

Also, at 520 gear he can play whatever the hell he wants.

Deleted
    Some people have difficulties to understand that some of us dont want to play the spec we llike most but the spec which output the most. That's just called competitive gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear moderators. The OP's question was answered numerous times.

Please lock this thread.

I'll say this: After doing most of SoO, a LOT of fights cater to Frost's strengths (Short term AoE, slows, freezes, etc). Unless your guild is having a big DPS issue (on Single Target fights, like Iron Jug and Thok), Frost may actually be the way to go.

Being in a 25m myself, I enjoy having a lot of nice utility for specific fights.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

As Akraen pointed out the question has been answered multiple times. So locking the thread. Have a nice day