Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The Universe Project: Will it work? [Video Game]

http://strt.cc/?ref=bWljay5zb21lcnNAaG90bWFpbC5jb20_

"We're creating a video game, similar to an RPG, that is capable of supporting millions of players, in the same game world, at the same time. The very first players who enter the game will notice the planet they appear on is completely devoid of human infrastructure; they appear on a planet that has developed only plant-life and animals. Now, the perspective of the game will be 1st/3rd person in that the player will control a single character in the game and will control only their character's actions in the world. There will be no NPCs in the world, every character is a real player.

The game will simulate human needs in that player's characters will need to eat and drink. Characters will need to find shelter and need to avoid being too cold or too hot. Characters will need to defend themselves and their belongings from animals and other players. Characters will be able to invent their own tools, skills, buildings, and even weapons, to assist them in meeting their needs."

What do you think of this? Will it actually work? I mean it seems quite hard to sustain such a massive server. Wouldn't it also get too buggy if you try combining so many gameplay elements? It almost seems fake to me, but I hope its real. The idea of a "humanity simulation" sounds amazing and I'd totally play it for ages (especially with friends!)
    Last edited by mmocfe92004e2e; 2013-09-20 at 11:54 PM.

not happening.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    already heard this claims countless times so I'm *very very* skeptical.
    I wish them the all the best though and I will keep an eye on it

I sure hope so. I'd be all over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a load of crap, especially after watching the technical demos video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not with today's tech. It'll happen one day, of that I have no doubt.

unless the game is in 2d or has super shitty graphics you can't even have 100 players in one area without massive lag/FPS issues... so not going to happen any time soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    unless the game is in 2d or has super shitty graphics you can't even have 100 players in one area without massive lag/FPS issues... so not going to happen any time soon.
    So far from what I've seen the graphics are in 2D so it could be possible!

It depends on how many people will be in an area at any one time. It should definitely be possible to do assuming there are never too many people in the same place. Problem is that players aren't exactly nice enough to be in areas far away from other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terralon View Post
    So far from what I've seen the graphics are in 2D so it could be possible!
    If it is 2d it would be no problem since hardly anybody will play it...
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

There is still a huge audience for 2D video games, don't forget it will also be playable on mobile platforms like the iPad/iPhone. There are many popular video games in 2D that are still played frequently like Terraria for example.

Hmmm, I'm skeptical. Just the idea behind it, of being able to do WHATEVER you want (Build a building, create a farm, build space ships) would either be too limited by today's technology, or require the game code to be completely open to the public to even achieve a fraction of what they intend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    It depends on how many people will be in an area at any one time. It should definitely be possible to do assuming there are never too many people in the same place. Problem is that players aren't exactly nice enough to be in areas far away from other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's not like terraria isn't played.... right?

Sounds like they are dreaming veeeery big. I don't think that it will happen, and if it does, I think it would be a trainwreck. It'll be interesting to see how it progresses though. It's definitely a cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    not happening.
    Simple as that.

I'm certainly not going to donate any money to their eventual kickstarter, that's for sure.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    So they're creating another Infinity: The Quest For Earth.

Cool beans.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    It seems to be even more possible now I've read this;
    "We've proposed that we'll eventually simulate the entire universe. Well first, you might want to consider that Frontier Elite II did this very thing in 1993, simulating at least the whole galaxy, and the entire game fit into 880 kilobytes. Granted that only the closer star systems were accurately represented, but the entire galaxy was available nonetheless. As mentioned before, procedurally generated content is unphased by size."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II

Sounds like a civilization 1 mmo. I'd play it.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

it'll never get enough players to populate it. i've been playing wurm online recently and that is basically a mmo version of minecraft with everything but the exploring other planets aspect, yet it seems as though theres never more than 100 players on the same server as me at any 1 time. and never more than 1000 or so playing across all servers.

all someone needs to do now is combine kerbal space program with minecraft and we could have the best game ever made.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-09-15 at 03:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it'll never get enough players to populate it. i've been playing wurm online recently and that is basically a mmo version of minecraft with everything but the exploring other planets aspect, yet it seems as though theres never more than 100 players on the same server as me at any 1 time. and never more than 1000 or so playing across all servers.
    This game will just be one server though, and keep in mind that the game will be on multiple platforms so it'll be available to a wide audience.