Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How it all started...Baby Warcraft!

http://imgur.com/O2ux62D

Ps: Seriously, mmo champ blocks imgur now? Is this site run by McCain?

Nice, I like early work like this.

I like how everything important enough to make it onto the map has a name, except for a random 'orc camp'. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    http://imgur.com/O2ux62D

Ps: Seriously, mmo champ blocks imgur now? Is this site run by McCain?
    Keep it civil, please. If you link to the O2ux62D tag instead of the jpg itself, it won't appear. Here is what you should have done:

Code:
    [URL="http://i.imgur.com/O2ux62D.jpg"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/O2ux62Dl.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    I like how everything important enough to make it onto the map has a name, except for a random 'orc camp'. :P
    I remember that map so well....it's changed so much since that first little game when they threw this together.

Stonewind Keep = Stormwind of today?

I find this stuff fascinating I never played the RTS, so never knew about the WoW universe till it's mmo form

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Stonewind Keep = Stormwind of today?

I find this stuff fascinating I never played the RTS, so never knew about the WoW universe till it's mmo form
    Sort of yeah. The Stormwind you know today was rebuilt after it was sacked by the Orcs during their second attempt to take it. The first attempt failed. From the guide (paraphrased on WoWWikki): "Initial battles do not go well for the Horde. Expecting an easy victory against a weak opponent, the orcs rush to assault the fortress of Stormwind Keep, only to suffer a defeat of catastrophic proportions. Few orcs survive the initial battle."

There's no Temple of the Damned equivalent in WoW, is there?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Sort of yeah. The Stormwind you know today was rebuilt after it was sacked by the Orcs during their second attempt to take it. The first attempt failed. From the guide (paraphrased on WoWWikki): "Initial battles do not go well for the Horde. Expecting an easy victory against a weak opponent, the orcs rush to assault the fortress of Stormwind Keep, only to suffer a defeat of catastrophic proportions. Few orcs survive the initial battle."
    illegal danish made a funny video in which this was mentioned, and also why the humans failed the second time.

i'll post the link in a moment if i can find it back.
    at the end of part 2 and start part 3. for some reason part 2 keeps starting at beginning for me instead the part where i wanted it too (7:20 is when the story starts)

Last edited by mmocf05b7cf06c; 2013-09-19 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    maybe Sunken Temple?

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Deleted
    No, this is how it all started(from 06:56) :

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Not anymore. It was sacked by humans in the First War

Nice! Thank you for the response.

So I wonder why they changed the name and didn't just keep it Stonewind?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Nice! Thank you for the response.

So I wonder why they changed the name and didn't just keep it Stonewind?
    They changed a lot of names around. Innitially, the human kingdom was named Azeroth. This remained true during WCII as well. It was renamed to the Kingdom of Stormwind, with Azeroth becoming the name of the whole planet. The name of the city was also changed to Stormwind because it made more sense, I guess?
    I also believe Stormwind/Stonewind Keep was originally just that: a keep. Not a city. Also changed later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of things changed. "Medivh Tower" became Karazhan, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    They changed a lot of names around. Innitially, the human kingdom was named Azeroth. This remained true during WCII as well. It was renamed to the Kingdom of Stormwind, with Azeroth becoming the name of the whole planet. The name of the city was also changed to Stormwind because it made more sense, I guess?
    I also believe Stormwind/Stonewind Keep was originally just that: a keep. Not a city. Also changed later on.
    Oooh interesting about the Azeroth part, I honestly never knew that,

It's awesome that things started off so small, and now they are just huge and the lands and lore so expansive, I love it!

Too bad they didn't made the WoW map as how things were places on that map. I still feel the map of WoW is kinda out of shape.
    Same for Khaz Modan (the dwarven regions) and how Blizzard placed Tol Barad (for example) in WoW are a bit out of shape as well. I like the old shape much more.

Stonewind was pretty much referenced on that map only. The intro for WC1 has it called "Stormwind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNw6GRYnAI

Not anymore. It was sacked by humans in the First War
    Ah, cool.

I always liked to compare older maps and newer maps, to see what they omitted, what could be done differently, the relative distances between locations, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the Temple of the Damned?

Nvm, just scrolled up and saw Darsithis' post.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2013-09-19 at 03:10 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Stonewind was pretty much referenced on that map only. The intro for WC1 has it called "Stormwind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNw6GRYnAI
    Yeah, as I recall, the map was from an early draft of the names and wasn't updated before release. Stonewind has sort of been dragged into canon, in a way, as being the name of old Stormwind that was rebuilt by the guys who became the Defias Brotherhood - but it's not entirely accurate.

The awesome part is pretty much everything on that map made it into WoW, except the Temple of the Damned - though one could potentially argue the altar in the Blasted Lands is the ruins of it.