Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% ok with spicy, but wasabi has always tasted disgusting to me.

"... she hasn't called me back yet lmao" pls you're making me cry xD

Quote Originally Posted by Aven Reddins View Post
    I'm 100% ok with spicy, but wasabi has always tasted disgusting to me.
    Its hard for me to describe the taste of wasabi because I havent tasted anything else like it. I guess the best I can do is that it tastes like pure chili oil(like if you boiled the taste out of jalepenos or habaneros), spicy but no real taste. For reference, Ive only had wasabi in Japan, in sushi and also on other things like chips and almonds. The main difference from chilis is that the heat doesnt last as long with wasabi. So I guess I cant really say that something which has no taste for me is disgusting.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    First time was when I was 9 or 10, but I grew up on various foods with their own kinds of kicks, so it didn't really take me too much by surprise. Didn't expect it to actually hurt my nose/head, but I found it hilarious and continued eating. Mom was alittle disappointed at the lack of reaction, but that's her fault since we have a different kind of spicy food almost every day :P

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Its hard for me to describe the taste of wasabi because I havent tasted anything else like it. I guess the best I can do is that it tastes like pure chili oil(like if you boiled the taste out of jalepenos or habaneros), spicy but no real taste. For reference, Ive only had wasabi in Japan, in sushi and also on other things like chips and almonds. The main difference from chilis is that the heat doesnt last as long with wasabi. So I guess I cant really say that something which has no taste for me is disgusting.
    I guess it must be really different for you than for me...

I mean: I've extracted capsaicine for use in my mustard pastes, from madamme jeanette habañeros, and of course there was spicy... But the horseradish spiciness is nowhere near similar in sensation. The wasabi as I know it is sharp and fresh, in a manner similar to eucalyptus. It clears the nose and throat, and is prickly, but the sensation dissipates rather quickly. Capsaicine, however, triggers burn-sensor responses, making it feel 'hot.' The oiliness of the substance also causes the sensation to linger (so a lot of people who can't really take the heat drink milk or beer with their spicy meals (and you best not use water)).

But yeah; I'm not a huge fan of the stuff either. It does do well with mustard, though. The acidity of a freshly ground horseradish paste is a pretty good replacement for the vinegar you'll normally find in mustard. And let's face it; nobody uses most in mustard anymore anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not a spicy food person. I know what wasabi is, but since I don't like spicy, I don't eat it.

Last year I finally convinced my wife to try sushi. Before then, she thought the white stuff is fish eggs. Once I explained to her that it is just vinegared rice and that sushi is the rice, but not necessarily with raw fish she tried it and liked it. She prefers the westernized non-raw fish sushi. And since she is the spice-lover, she tried and liked the wasabi.
    When she had wasabi first, her eyes got really big and she went "oooh! Spicy... spicy but good!"
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

The first time I had 'wasabi' I fell in love. It is just the right stuff for Sushi and I LOVE Sushi.