Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Is SoO less linear than ToT

    hi, just a quick question - remembering what developers were saying at the announcement of SoO, is new raid instance less linear then the previous one? does it split into wings at some point or to progress on boss #13 I have to kill all 12 bosses before it?

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,609
    There is a choice after Malkorok, the raid "splits" slightly, on the left as you enter the area is Siegecrafter Blackfuse and on the right is Spoils of Pandaria and Thok the Bloodthirsty.

    Not much of a choice, but if your raid's DPS struggle somehow, I would suggest going for Blackfuse first.

  3. #3
    Pit Lord Sinndra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,332
    yah not much of a choice really.. or at least not as much as i was hoping for. especially early in the raid. thats where slower guilds could benefit from having a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  4. #4
    Not really, but who gives a fuck? :P

    I never understood why people care whether or not they have choice as to what boss they are going to kill next - it's a raid instance, you're there to kill them all.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Not really, but who gives a fuck? :P

    I never understood why people care whether or not they have choice as to what boss they are going to kill next - it's a raid instance, you're there to kill them all.
    to answer your question - we raid 6h a week, just two days a week. In ToT it became progressively harder for us to even reach progression boss in that time. It came to the point where after getting durumu and oneshotting primo, we had to extend lockout for the next week in order to tackle dark animus, qon and twins.

    with 8 bosses in raids I had the time margin to not rush at all times. we could have progression even on the final bosses for at least a day of a raid week as reaching that boss took less than one evening. with current linear and giant instances it becomes logistical problem for me.

  6. #6
    Pit Lord Sinndra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Not really, but who gives a fuck? :P

    I never understood why people care whether or not they have choice as to what boss they are going to kill next - it's a raid instance, you're there to kill them all.
    during the progression process, some groups handle certain boss fights/mechanics easier then others, but since they are blocked by one fight, they lose out on chances at loot that would help them past that wall. its just a waste of time really. if i could get 4 bosses while working on the 5th, instead of being stuck on the 2nd boss (this hasnt happened to me but it does happen) then that would speed up the time it takes to get past that wall. and ultimately make the raid more fun.

    this is mostly aimed at the progression process not the farming process. when you have them all on farm, yah it doesnt much matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  7. #7
    to get this back on track - could anyone share what exactly is not linear in SoO?

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Liquidsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    to get this back on track - could anyone share what exactly is not linear in SoO?
    See below (or above).

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    There is a choice after Malkorok, the raid "splits" slightly, on the left as you enter the area is Siegecrafter Blackfuse and on the right is Spoils of Pandaria and Thok the Bloodthirsty.

    Not much of a choice, but if your raid's DPS struggle somehow, I would suggest going for Blackfuse first.

  9. #9
    High Overlord ZealousBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    105
    After Malkorok ( 9th boss i believe) you have a choive between 3 different bosses, Seigecrafter, Thok, or Spoils. You can defeat them in any order, and then progress to paragons.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ZealousBlade View Post
    After Malkorok ( 9th boss i believe) you have a choive between 3 different bosses, Seigecrafter, Thok, or Spoils. You can defeat them in any order, and then progress to paragons.
    Basically a dumbed down version of the 3 ICC wings but with one boss only.

  11. #11
    but still to get to boss #9 you have to kill all 8
    and I assume you have to kill all 13 to pull our boy Garry, right?

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans CosmicGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    but still to get to boss #9 you have to kill all 8
    and I assume you have to kill all 13 to pull our boy Garry, right?
    Yes. You need to kill them all. It's just in what order that is up to you.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire JV Chequer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    483
    Blackfuse should be before Spoils and Thok at Dungeon Journal because it's quite easy IMO.
    Chequer@Azralon - 14/14H - Ilvl 587 - Sexyness 9000+
    Pro-Raiders
    Warcraft Logs

  14. #14
    Field Marshal Teddybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ZealousBlade View Post
    After Malkorok ( 9th boss i believe) you have a choice between 3 different bosses, Seigecrafter, Thok, or Spoils. You can defeat them in any order, and then progress to paragons.
    Thok is after spoils as were currently on it, only choose in this instance is Seigecrafter or spoils, and im pretty sure u need all 3 of these (+thok) to contiune on to paragon. This instance is still linear, with barley any choice as even your choice doesn't change much. One good thing is i don't think it feels linear but that might be because you change area's so much.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

  15. #15
    Pretty sure you don't have to kill Spoils before Thok.

  16. #16
    Still dissapointed with all these very linear raids, I really loved the Ulduar and ICC model with all the choices. I wouldn't be suprised, once I enter Orgrimmar, almost every road is blocked and there's only 1 linear path to follow....

  17. #17
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Still dissapointed with all these very linear raids, I really loved the Ulduar and ICC model with all the choices. I wouldn't be suprised, once I enter Orgrimmar, almost every road is blocked and there's only 1 linear path to follow....
    I'm kind of disappointed as well.. I would have preferred something like Naxx 2.0, honestly; that seemed like a great way to let the weaker raids dabble in a few easier bosses and get those on farm (such as the first four of Naxx) and then have the harder bosses in the wings, so you aren't totally screwed if you hit walls on a deeper boss as you can go to the other wing and kill the first boss there (who is fairly easy) and still get some progress done. Seems like a win-win concept for larger raids.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-09-16 at 07:56 PM.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator


  18. #18
    Their intention was to create a raid that had a linear difficulty curve, as well. So having the bosses be predominantly linear goes hand-in-hand with that model. That said, if I'm remembering right Naxx's wings all had a "final boss" didn't they? That kind of thing would have worked well here. The first three bosses had to be linear as it's the entire point of them. Then getting in the gate. Now, having you deal with with bosses above ground, then two wings below ground with a "keymaster" at the end of each one would have been pretty cool.

    Not even a "oh, the shield dropped because they died" thing, mind you; but a case of "he put his throne in the vault and gave the three keys to different generals so that none could face him without first exhausting all his forces."

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    Pretty sure you don't have to kill Spoils before Thok.
    Pretty sure you are wrong.

  20. #20
    The Patient royals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illidan
    Posts
    338
    The only boss we have faced so far that I feel was really out of order difficulty wise was General Nazgrim. He was quite easy being that he is later in the instance.
    <The Decoy> 2 Night/Week 10M - US - Illidan - 14/14 HC T16
    Our Kill Videos
    Guild Twitter: @illidandecoy
    ------------------------------------------
    Pokemon Y - Ghost Safari
    FC: 2036 - 7493 - 8881

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •