Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Daggers are daggers. They're fast melee weapons. Maces/axes/swords/fist weapons are slow melee weapons. 2hands are 2hands, bows are bows. Daggers are in their own category, and it doesn't really matter, we have 3+ options of daggers each tier anyways. I guess if you really wanted to fell like you have a wealth of weapon type options Blizzard could call them Daggers, Quickblades and Shivs, but that's kind of useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    My biggest grip about combat in cata was that I had to use daggers.

They just need to make all specs use swords/axes/maces/daggers and be done with it.
    I complain a lot about how stale the class is, but the one thing I'd like back from the BC era is being able to use most weapons with most specs. Dagger combat or hemo swords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by o03o View Post
    No, I don't think it's unfair. I like Assassination and Subtlety because they are restricted to daggers; Gives them the whole Stabby McStabyou feeling. When playing rogue I don't even want to use any other weapons than daggers.
    you just read my minds m8 !!!

I don't actually understand why anyone is against this. I know so many rogues who are just begging to get more transmog options for their weapons, mainly because there's around 5 good dagger transmogs.

Also, why are people saying they play Asass/Sub because they only use daggers? That makes no sense at all, you play the spec because it's the best/funnest. Saying you play it because of the weapon type is like saying you play a warrior because you can equip all armour types

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitorii View Post
    Also, why are people saying they play Asass/Sub because they only use daggers? That makes no sense at all, you play the spec because it's the best/funnest. Saying you play it because of the weapon type is like saying you play a warrior because you can equip all armour types
    To you that may hold true, but not to me. While gameplay to me is indeed king (I actually enjoy assassination), the whole concept or idea of a class or spec plays a non-trivial part in my enjoyment of the game. While a e.g. paladin may actually be fun gameplay wise (I don't actually know, I don't play paladin) I don't like the whole holy warrior and Goody Two-Shoes shtick and thus would never be able to bear playing one. Another example would be liking fury warriors because they're like berserkers.
    Last edited by mmoce86fe97048; 2013-09-17 at 11:30 PM.

Wildly unfair. At least my daggers are made of stars, that's pretty great.

Honestly, daggers and swords should function identically and be transmoggable into one another (animation excuse is bs since its obviously possible if you look at ranged weapons, but dagger animations actually make sense for swords anyway). Traditionally daggers and swords both have blades and points and therefore both can cut and stab which means there is no reason you couldn't do a virtually identical attack with a sword as you do with a dagger (which also means they wouldn't have to redo the animations). The main difference is just the reach on the weapons and their weight (thus speed) but all melee weapons have 5 yard ranges anyway and weight is addressed by attack speed.

Well, swords in WoW are cutting weapons (slashing in D&D parlance) and daggers are definitely puncturing (piercing in D&D lingo). Just because, for instance, both have the ability to work in the other way doesn't imply too much about how they are used effectively. Daggers stab, swords slash.

The animations are different is actually a real thing- for some reason. I agree it's not a very good thing, and that they should change it.

A dagger transmogged to a sword should just have the same animation and sounds as if it was a sword.

That is just because of their animation in wow and for rpg reasons in dnd because dnd actually has different types of physical damage but that is irrelevant because WoW does not (well I guess bleeds but thats not weapon related). Daggers are definitely going to cause more damage with a stab because you aren't going to get the force for as deep of a cut as you would with a sword, but that doesn't mean cutting isn't viable. Swords are very, very often used for stabbing (well probably not 2h style swords). Think standard fencing (though yes I know there is saber fencing too). Even for eastern swords like katanas, stabbing is a standard technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitorii View Post
    I could play either combat or assa for pve since they are both viable, but i choose assassination specifically because of daggers. That makes to me the "funniest", but we're talking about personal tastes so everyone can say a different thing and everyone can be right at the same time.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Or how about. Give rogues the option to go dagger "Mcstab stabby" OR to go "I want to knock you over the head with this giant mace".

It's options that matter, and rogues are the most limited.
    Last edited by Badjoe242; 2013-09-18 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    That is just because of their animation in wow and for rpg reasons in dnd because dnd actually has different types of physical damage but that is irrelevant because WoW does not (well I guess bleeds but thats not weapon related). Daggers are definitely going to cause more damage with a stab because you aren't going to get the force for as deep of a cut as you would with a sword, but that doesn't mean cutting isn't viable. Swords are very, very often used for stabbing (well probably not 2h style swords). Think standard fencing (though yes I know there is saber fencing too). Even for eastern swords like katanas, stabbing is a standard technique.
    Apart the "weapon type" reasoning, i think that it's just about the animation thing - anyway since they have already taken steps forward to let mog staves/polearms over 2h weapons, i think that in a future we could see 1h -> dagger mog and viceversa.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Apart the "weapon type" reasoning, i think that it's just about the animation thing -
    This Myth was killed when hunters got their cross transmog between ranged weapons. And it was when transmog got released even. Blizzard just hates us.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    They should let us transmog daggers to other 1-hand weapons.
    You can't transmog daggers and fist weapons into other weapons because they use a different set of animations.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    This Myth was killed when hunters got their cross transmog between ranged weapons. And it was when transmog got released even. Blizzard just hates us.
    Wait, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Daggers are definitely going to cause more damage with a stab because you aren't going to get the force for as deep of a cut as you would with a sword, but that doesn't mean cutting isn't viable.
    In a fight a slash would happen, but that's just a bonus feature. When compared to the frightful cutting capabilities of, say, a German Longsword, or a Katana, a dagger really brings nothing to that.

Swords are very, very often used for stabbing (well probably not 2h style swords).
    I wouldn't say 'very often'. Remember the swords we are dealing with model historical swords. In European parlance, they are single time. And yes, all known sword arts have moves using the point of the sword- but that's not why you brought a sword.

Think standard fencing (though yes I know there is saber fencing too). Even for eastern swords like katanas, stabbing is a standard technique.
    Fencing changed much in becoming so pure and focused. Though the real swords modeled by the fencing equivalents emphasize the point, they don't represent the field of all swords that well- they are clearly very specialized.

In WoW, almost every sword is a cutting blade. Many are even curved- a double edged straight sword is a rarity in WoW (and it's hard to find one that isn't explicitly real world looking, while you have numerous options if you take a single edged or curved one). This isn't even getting started on the fantasy shapes, of course, which one presumes would be wielded in a slashing manner, if for no other reason than it's the only imaginable way to wield a krol blade.

And as such, the animations are slashes.

The ranged weapon system pretty clearly uses a different system than the melee one, though. I do think it is sad that they were able to please hunters immediately, and then take so goddamned long to unify the sword/mace/axe things which all use "swung you in an arc" as their animation, and seem unable to figure out how to make that work with daggers and fists.

Wait, really?
    Yes. Despite having different animations and sounds for bows, crossbows, and guns, all of them transmog to each other perfectly. I'm sure they aren't lying when they say it's a technical hurdle, but it's one they should get to work on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Yes. Despite having different animations and sounds for bows, crossbows, and guns, all of them transmog to each other perfectly. I'm sure they aren't lying when they say it's a technical hurdle, but it's one they should get to work on.
    Well, maybe there isn't an animation of two sword hitting the enemy at the same time, so they can't use it for Mutilate.. or something?

My technical knowledge is limited, but i can't think of a good reason, a sound reason why there would be technical difficulties. Apart from unique quirks of the WoW engine, which there surely are. But again, it can't be that hard to exchange 1h models without problems (there even was a glitch in BC or WotLK which made exact that, changing the model) and it should be very possible to alter the animation used. But again, i'm not a programmer or graphics designer or whatnot.
    -Voltaire
    winning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Well, maybe there isn't an animation of two sword hitting the enemy at the same time, so they can't use it for Mutilate.. or something?
    Raging blow uses this animation. I don't follow anything mog related, but I've read this enough to know it ><

Also, warriors think it's ridiculous to stab their opponents with 2 gargantuan maces.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    My technical knowledge is limited, but i can't think of a good reason, a sound reason why there would be technical difficulties. Apart from unique quirks of the WoW engine, which there surely are. But again, it can't be that hard to exchange 1h models without problems (there even was a glitch in BC or WotLK which made exact that, changing the model) and it should be very possible to alter the animation used. But again, i'm not a programmer or graphics designer or whatnot.
    The basic problem is again - animations. They already did the trick with guns/bows/xbows and afaik now with 2h/polearms. It's not impossible for them to "activate" these kind of xmog, but the problem is that we don't know how actually diofficult is.

If you put in the equation also fist weapons the thing complicates again. I assume that the ranged weapons one was the easier, and then they are proceeding to the more difficult ones, but it's completely possible that doing that would require an effore way higher than the final result.

BTW, i still don't like the assassination/swords concept, but fist weapons are cool overall

EDIT: the WotLK thing wasn't a glitch - you just need to access the game file and replace the models with a different filename. The problem is that this is against the ToS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Raging blow uses this animation. I don't follow anything mog related, but I've read this enough to know it ><

Also, warriors think it's ridiculous to stab their opponents with 2 gargantuan maces.
    Theen.. I don't know why they haven't done it yet. But I think they'll have more reasons than a simple "we h8 rouges!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    EDIT: the WotLK thing wasn't a glitch - you just need to access the game file and replace the models with a different filename. The problem is that this is against the ToS
    There was a file renaming thing, bordering TOS violations, but which side? And there was a glitch, just like in console games, involving keypresses and shtuff.
    -Voltaire
    winning