Thread: Galakras 10 man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NesQuek View Post
    I find it way overcomplicated to separate into two groups. Just assign personal responsibility to your raiders. When they personally get 3 stacks, step to the side until they reset. Half the time they won't even stack up to 3. This way, the entire raid is stacked behind the boss and you can use stacked raid cooldowns, rather than being in two separate groups.
    With the setup I showed you are close enough to use all stacked raid CDs except for maybe smokebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    So one other thing. On the first tower we have a problem with people getting knocked off because they're stunned somehow. Is this the stun? Or the movement speed debuff? How do we avoid having this happen?
    I was the tower tank and I can say one thing that seems to have made it pretty easy for us. When I get up I grab the mini boss take him to the side with 2 archers and everyone prety much colapses on me. WE dps nuke the mini boss and aoe cleave the 2 archers. The mini boss will toss out a thunderclap this is what slows everyone and makes dodging the knock off hard. What I noticed is EVERY TIME his first knock off ability was aimed facing the stairs you come up... so if you are ranged come up and sit at the opening you are in direct line of fire for th eknock off... once we started to go up collaps at the 2 archers it was GG becuase his first cast was facing away form us and he would normally die right after first cast so can't say where 2nd goes.

2nd mini boss on tower seems to always do her aoe ability to the left (when first facing her comming up the stairs) of the platform so again you can have th eteam go to the archers and avoid the first aoe blast from the get go!

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    Also, something obvious for most but there are a few ppl that ignore the NPCs. I was watching my cousin's stream and they were wiping at around 20% all the time and then it dawned on me: they weren't engaging the NPCs. Just his WOL, Lothemar alone did around 8mil dmg on Galakras.

So make sure the NPCs are engaged and your stacks getting reset. IMO, since you use 3 healers, you can easily go up to 4 stacks.
    how exactly you engage NPCs in phase2? Just move the boss over to their location?

Stack on his ass, blow bloodlust, and burn him. Orbs come out too fast for anything else imo. Between any adds that may be up, picking up the boss, and orbs coming out instantly, I think it's a poorly designed transition with way too much RNG to be fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    it is working as charm but there is 1 requirement for it u have to have dps high enough to burn him before stacks will get too high on your raid - and groups which will go there undergeared dont have a chance to do it - its like GRGRGR on meagera if people went there geared it was super easy strat - if peopel went there undergeared it was not doable - same with galakras once people will get gear it will be a joke
    Not really, assigning people to get the stack makes it harder because of the RNG involved.
    Our strat works because the fireball mechanics does not put stacks on every player soaking if you stack up... that's the whole point, and I'm not even sure it's intended.
    After the 3rd fireball you'll have a maximum of 2 people with 3 stacks, send them out to reset and back in (15sec debuff means 1-2 fireballs), and so on. People with self reset (mages, rogues, pallies) can get up to 5-6 stacks before resetting without moving out.
    Use Lust/hero below 50% with the healing cds from dps (ascendance, embrace ecc.) and then start with the raid cds.

I find it way overcomplicated to separate into two groups. Just assign personal responsibility to your raiders. When they personally get 3 stacks, step to the side until they reset. Half the time they won't even stack up to 3. This way, the entire raid is stacked behind the boss and you can use stacked raid cooldowns, rather than being in two separate groups.
    People don't find it complicated to move to a spot and stay there. They find it complicated to watch their debuff for 3 stacks and move when they get it. The raid can also still be in 2 groups but close enough to use raid cooldowns/ AoE heals.

Ignoring the obscenities and key clicking from my hubby, here it is in action http://www.twitch.tv/ceresc/c/2948024 We basically divided into a V formation with tanks on point, boss facing tanks. and dps split into 2 groups on either side of purple. Group 1 ran to star Group 2 ran to Triangle. Kept stacks from getting too high, a little sloppy but we one shot it from there.
    Last edited by Ceresc; 2013-09-19 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Boss is at diamond with it's back to the rest of the marks.
    Melee are at the rectangle and split roughly into two groups.
    The healers and ranged are in two lines diagonally away from the boss.

When someone gets the debuff they go to one of the markers, either star or triangle, which is behind it's respective line of people. The debuff drops, they go back to their position in line.

You want to go three to four debuffs per line and then swap to the next line. If someone in the triangle group gets it first then someone in the star group gets it, that person in the star group goes to triangle, this lets the triangle groups debuff drop while you stack up the stars after.

Lust around 40% since healing starts to get tough then.

Edit- Using this method you only have the person with the debuff moving, not an entire group moving into position on debuff swaps.
    We did something similar, cept we had two groups of four at max melee range. Dropped 3 behind group 'a', then 3 behind group 'b', repeat. Groups can be close enough together to all be in AoE healing range, but it eliminates the need to manage your personal debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    Not really, assigning people to get the stack makes it harder because of the RNG involved.
    Our strat works because the fireball mechanics does not put stacks on every player soaking if you stack up... that's the whole point, and I'm not even sure it's intended.
    After the 3rd fireball you'll have a maximum of 2 people with 3 stacks, send them out to reset and back in (15sec debuff means 1-2 fireballs), and so on. People with self reset (mages, rogues, pallies) can get up to 5-6 stacks before resetting without moving out.
    Use Lust/hero below 50% with the healing cds from dps (ascendance, embrace ecc.) and then start with the raid cds.
    We tried that strat, and had 8 people taking stacks. I looked at the logs, and we'd get 4-5 stacks at the exact same time (so I don't think it was a "not stacked tight enough" issue). Were we doing it wrong? Has something changed?

we've downed this both weeks so far, but i'm trying to get a handle on the exact mechanics in order to reduce the damage. normal seems pretty easy to stack and burn, but i assume heroic will be more painful.

i understand the fire DoT thingy that happens when you bleed off power from the fireball (i.e. stand under it), but some questions remain. let's assume the entire raid is stacked on the melee, who is standing at max range.

1) how many people will get the fire DoT and therefore reduce the damage from the fireball (assuming those two things are directly linked)? the whole raid? some fixed number of people that is less than the full raid? a variable number of people?

2) does the person targeted with the fireball also get a DoT?

3) what is the purpose in having the targeted person run behind the group? is it a) because there is some bad splash that happens from the fireball itself, or b) to ensure that the maximum damage bleed-off happens?

4) assuming b, how much bleed off will happen if the targeted person does NOT run out? we've done it both ways the the overall fireball explosion damage seemed about the same.

please don't guess or theorize; i'm trying to get solid answers.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    3) what is the purpose in having the targeted person run behind the group? is it a) because there is some bad splash that happens from the fireball itself, or b) to ensure that the maximum damage bleed-off happens?
    I can tell you that the more people the ball hits before it gets to its target and explodes - The damage is reduced when exploding. If it hits nobody, it is 600k damage to everyone in the raid. I don't know EXACTLY how much it reduces the damage on impact per person, but going through about 5 or 6 people like in our raid last night, it is a VERY significant amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Abnercakes View Post
    I can tell you that the more people the ball hits before it gets to its target and explodes - The damage is reduced when exploding. If it hits nobody, it is 600k damage to everyone in the raid. I don't know EXACTLY how much it reduces the damage on impact per person, but going through about 5 or 6 people like in our raid last night, it is a VERY significant amount.
    of course, but does some of that bleed off happen anyway if the group is stacked? the answer depends on the range of the bleed off effect vs. the range that triggers the explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    we've downed this both weeks so far, but i'm trying to get a handle on the exact mechanics in order to reduce the damage. normal seems pretty easy to stack and burn, but i assume heroic will be more painful.

i understand the fire DoT thingy that happens when you bleed off power from the fireball (i.e. stand under it), but some questions remain. let's assume the entire raid is stacked on the melee, who is standing at max range.

1) how many people will get the fire DoT and therefore reduce the damage from the fireball (assuming those two things are directly linked)? the whole raid? some fixed number of people that is less than the full raid? a variable number of people?

2) does the person targeted with the fireball also get a DoT?

4) assuming b, how much bleed off will happen if the targeted person does NOT run out? we've done it both ways the the overall fireball explosion damage seemed about the same.

please don't guess or theorize; i'm trying to get solid answers.

thanks
    I've spent a fair bit of time combing through our logs.

1) The ideal number of people seems to be 4. This results in an unmitigated explosion of 146k per person. Soaking with more than 4 does not reduce the explosion below this number.

2) Yes. The targeted person does tick the orb and get a stack. The tank also always gets a stack. So you want 2 more people to get a stack to bring the damage down.

3) They don't need to be at the back. They just need 2 people in between them and the fireball.

4) They shouldn't need to run out. The detonation (in our logs) always occurred ~0.5s after the orb target took a tick from the orb. So they could be stacked on others, and the orb would be defused.

All that said, I'm really curious about the "all stack up and only 3 get dots" suggestion, because I don't see that in our logs. I see everyone in the stack getting the dot.

The formula for the orb reduction seems to be 1/N where N is the number of players. With a 600k baseline for 10 man, and the tank automatically counting as 1, you need at minimum 1 other to soak the orb, with 2-3 being ideal.

What my guild does is when the boss comes down, we stack and burn. We use hero / lust and rotate healing cooldowns. We use a druid, sham, priest.

I did it in Flex attempting a stack kill, and every single person got the fireball debuff when we all stacked up. I didn't notice anything like "only 3 people get the debuff" or something.

I think next raid we'll just try spreading out in a quarter circle behind the boss and running out if you get 3 stacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    I did it in Flex attempting a stack kill, and every single person got the fireball debuff when we all stacked up. I didn't notice anything like "only 3 people get the debuff" or something.

I think next raid we'll just try spreading out in a quarter circle behind the boss and running out if you get 3 stacks.
    I don't know what to say, we did it again on wed. night and I'm sure it worked: I got the first stack on the first ball, no stacks on the following 2, and another 2 stacks when dps were already resetting theirs.
    Can't tell if something changed because our dps and healing was much higher compared to the first week, and felt just easier than the first time...

10+ Year Old Account
    My 10man guild got this down for the first time last night after a night of wiping. We use the 'stack behind and burn' method with people running out to drop their stacks. the change that got us a kill was using 2 healers instead of 3. We also increased the distance from the boss that the ranged stacked to max so they had more time to react to the orb.

We were wiping at 15-20% until we added an extra dps. Our team was 2 paly tanks, HPriest (me) and Pally healers, boomkin - feral - DK - 2 hunters - enh shammy as dps. I think the fact that we have a lot of other off healing in the team made 2 healing it possible as their wasn't any significant damage going out until P2.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    We had a bit of a problem on Galakras at start when we tried to brute force it but after a while we had to devise a plan. What we did was put 3 markers up like so:

BOSS

TRIANGLE

SQUARE

DIAMOND

These had about 5 yards distance and 20 yards from the boss (or less I didn't count). Distance from the boss doesn't really matter. What we did was stack the raid at Triangle. Whoever was getting targetted by the orb, moved to Square. Whoever was getting more than 3-4 stacks moved to Diamond. That way they were able to drop stacks and still not having to move because the orb was going through the raid.
    Thank you for this, it helped us get him down when we were struggling versus him this week (despite getting him down last week). The only thing we did different is simplify it: stand on triangle, move back a little if targeted, and when you get to 3 stacks, move right to diamond (rather than back to it) to drop stacks. The line mechanic is really specific so you don't have to move far away and then you can still be easily within healing range.

In visual form:

BOSS

STACK ............. DROPSTACKS
    TARGET
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

This is the exact way we handled the mechanic, works like a charm and everyone is able to essentially stand still with just 1 person that has the debuff moving at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Thank you for this, it helped us get him down when we were struggling versus him this week (despite getting him down last week). The only thing we did different is simplify it: stand on triangle, move back a little if targeted, and when you get to 3 stacks, move right to diamond (rather than back to it) to drop stacks. The line mechanic is really specific so you don't have to move far away and then you can still be easily within healing range.

In visual form:

BOSS

STACK ............. DROPSTACKS
    TARGET
    We got this down last night for the first time, did exactly what you did and it worked really well.