Thread: Level squish?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    People need to learn that stats and damage are only numerical representations of power, and are entirely irrelevant except when compared to other numbers. Dealing 15 damage to a 100 health creature is exactly the same as dealing 15 billion damage to a 100 billion creature. The exact numbers don't matter. All that matters is 'am I more powerful now than I was X levels or items ago, and how powerful am I when compared to this thing I'm fighting.' Once you figure this out, a stat squish is just a matter of convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I wouldn't mind if they made numbers going over 1000 with letters:
    1-900
    1k-900k
    1m-900m
    1b-900b
    this would happen automatically whenever numbers should be displayed
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Honestly "Level 100" does sound a little odd, even tacky. What if blizzard used an alternative? For example after 99 you could be referred to as "capped" and instead of having a number 100 next to your portrait it would be a gold faction symbol to represent the fact that you are max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    They said it's just a number, but that it is a lot of lvls for new players. But it's faster to get to lvl 90, than it was to get to lvl 60, so not really a big issue.

Good thing about the lvl squish would be:
    Less scary for new players
    Less stupid monkeys posting "confirmed lvl 100 is last expansion ever to come omg wtf dudes"
    Wouldn't change anything. Would just heighten how much xp you should get to get to next lvl.

Bad:
    More work for blizzard
    No real point to it
    Would suddenly have to complete vanilla in 30-40 lvls, and then the rest of the expansions in 7 lvls, each, or so.
    Instances/raids should be rebalanced around the other lvl-requirement.
    Would introduce so many bugs, broken questlines, forgottten quests, overtuned bosses etc
    I believe another side affect would be old dungeon and raid content would no longer be soloable unless they bring them in line with the new squish specs and doubtful they would spend the time revamping that much content.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz hates doing anything with old levels after Cata.

They're too afraid to be bit in the ass for putting resources on old leveling content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murdalok View Post
    Honestly "Level 100" does sound a little odd, even tacky. What if blizzard used an alternative? For example after 99 you could be referred to as "capped" and instead of having a number 100 next to your portrait it would be a gold faction symbol to represent the fact that you are max level.
    One HUGE problem with that.

WoW doesn't end at "100."

Blizz already confirmed it will not.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh.... Why on earth would they give us less content?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    And let's do also Gold "Squish". And let's also remove all those zones, which are visited less often than others to avoid zone clutter (Zone "Squish"). Do you see where it is going?

This whole "squish" concept is nothing but destructive.

Crappy? What kind of player do you have in mind? Personally, I'd be very excited about such a game with so many levels of content.
    The "Gold Squish" was already done. Go ahead and solo old dungeon/raid bosses with gold to spare, you only get 1/5, 1/10, 1/20, 1/25, or 1/40 that amount. 250 gold in TBC? Now it's 25. 30 gold in MC? Now it's... less than 1.

Just to clarify, nothing more.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Uhh.... Why on earth would they give us less content?
    I rest my case.

If they stood up there and said "We're squishing the level cap to X" people would assume that means all content after X is removed.

It's not. Just instead of 1-60 being Vanilla, it's 1-45 as an example.

It's not a very clean system, but it is a possible system. Hell I used to say they'd eventually squish BC and Wrath to 5 levels.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    and some mount with huge fucking wings that sparkles and they would be okay.
    I would resub for a month (if mine was already ran out) just to get that mount. It sounds amazing.

Too much levelling content tbh, which will get worse in the future to go through all that amount of content just to reach max level. (I'm talking about going through Vanilla Quests, Tbc Quests then Wrath, Cata, Pandaria, Future Expansions)

Squish a few expansions to a certain level gap. For example after you hit 60, to reach 70 you aren't restricted to only doing TBC Quests. You choose between levelling through TBC, Wrath or Cata quests and you go through only 1 of them to reach 70) This is all possible if a level squish is done.

That's what I think anyways.

It would be nice, having the levels compacted like that would mean more of the content would grant useful rewards and experience while progressing. Personally, I'd rather see levels disappear completely so you could level, farm and quest wherever you like and get appropriate rewards, but I don't think most of the WoW population would respond well to that; it would hamstring the "the game starts at level cap" crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the cap should go to 100 and then install a Paragon system that allows you to reach like... Paragon 1000, something crazy that hardly anyone will reach(at least any time soon)
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    I don't remember where I read it but is was more like they felt level 100 was a bit tacky or something. Not sure if was Blizzard saying that either... it was a long while ago when I read it.
    The players say that. Blizzard's official response was, "100 is just another number. There is no significance to it."

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Item squish is stupid in every way. Its way to be reactionary. Item squish = few old elitist players will be happy, 99% of the player base will be raging and wondering wtf happened to their dmg and health etc, while most people wont ever understand why it happened. Item squish would result in hundred thousands of players quitting.
    Item squish is something that the game will absolutely need, and nobody will quit over it. Next expansion people will be compiling a million or more health and doing over a million DPS. Numbers are stupid and out of control and don't mean anything anymore.

I woudl actually like this, make content more based on gear rather than level. Besides, if they were to increase the cap to 100, Blizzard would have to increase the size of the default circle that shows the level on character frames. And we all know Blizzard doesn't have the resources OR technology to do that.
    Sylvanas Windrunner is not hot... Change my mind.

Just be aware that the need for this is less about perception, and more about technical limitations.

storing, processing and parsing larger and larger numbers gets more costly for the client, servers and 3rd party sites as time goes on.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys should look up the Blue Dev post about 32bit integers and the reason at some point they will HAVE to item squish.

Simply put 32bit has a number cap

Found the OFFICIAL BLIZZ link:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9995063/

And the 32 bit explanation

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/53491...7161447?page=2
    Last edited by Locruid; 2013-09-19 at 04:52 AM.

Deleted
    I am happy as long as they actually do the item squish !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    There's also the fact that 559845 and 5594156 aren't that different at first glance, even though the second number is almost ten times as big as the first one.
    Compare to 459 and 4526.
    They are presented as 5,594,156 and 559,845 though and that's very easy to tell apart. Don't act stupid to get your point forward.